Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good stove shop, fitter?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to replace my fireplace with a non-boiler stove. After last winter I'm fairly sick of 90% of the heat going up the chimney:mad:
    The stove would be fairly small 6-10kW and just fit on the current hearth, but I need suggestions for a decent shop that supplies and fits them. I've been looking online and can see a few local shops but personal experience and recommendations are always helpful.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ive may have read that with these stoves that fit into existing fireplaces, there is still a lot of heat loss up the chimney, I may be wrong on that though,but id imagine that there has to be some loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Hi,i got a Stanley Oisin (6.4kw) last year from morris plumbing+heating store,they are in the business park on the tramore rd.
    Paid €400 and another €90 approx; for the pipe fittings.
    Glad i got it,as it saved a fortune on the gas fire i used to have.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hi,i got a Stanley Oisin (6.4kw) last year from morris plumbing+heating store,they are in the business park on the tramore rd.

Thats the one we were looking at ourselves too, wasn't sure if it would fit into our existing fireplace though, tell me any chance you might be able to post some pics of it installed.

Thanks

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Thats the one we were looking at ourselves too, wasn't sure if it would fit into our existing fireplace though, tell me any chance you might be able to post some pics of it installed.

Thanks
    Not that used to putting pics up,but i will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

We got a small one in Morris's, don't know the name of it but it fits in our existing hearth. We got someone to fit it and the heat from it is great.

• Advertisement

As i wanted to keep the black cast iron background,it was left on the hearth.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah, we were looking at paying €5-€600 so the one from Morris's looks good. I like supporting local businesses. That picture is very helpful too, "swissarmyknife", it looks very similiar to my fireplace setup.
    Actually I've heard that a lot of fireplaces in new homes are very ineffecient, more for show than function. Last year I remember in december, I was practically 2 feet from a blazing fire on the sofa with a duvet and blanket and still freezing, whereas my parents in their 150 year old house were toasty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

zeppe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah, we were looking at paying €5-€600 so the one from Morris's looks good. I like supporting local businesses. That picture is very helpful too, "swissarmyknife", it looks very similiar to my fireplace setup.
    Actually I've heard that a lot of fireplaces in new homes are very ineffecient, more for show than function. Last year I remember in december, I was practically 2 feet from a blazing fire on the sofa with a duvet and blanket and still freezing, whereas my parents in their 150 year old house were toasty:D

If you Pm me I can give you the details of our fitter at the weekend - highly recommended by us as he basically corrected the mistakes the other guy made.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Call in to the Stove Depot on the Cork rd-- behind Sheridans.

I bought 2 last year 400 euro each, they fit also for extra cost. V good

Ask for Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I can add a bit to this one.

I have two stoves, a Stanley Oisin which I've had for 11 years which is a brilliant little stove, very warm for its size and still going strong after all these years.
    However, wrongly assuming that a stove was a stove, I had a cheapie Mazona Luxor installed in another room about this time last year.
    This stove is a piece of ****e and as a result didn't really get used much last winter, as you'd need the oil heating on as well. It is already falling apart.

The Mazona is installed in a smaller room than the Stanley and I've had the flue checked for restrictions and it checked out OK. I have no idea why it produces less heat but believe me, it does. It is also rated at a higher kilowatt output of 7kw and I think the Stanley is about 4.5/5kw.

Moral of the story is, they don't all do what it says on the tin!

A further word of caution, (mods feel free to delete this section if it's too close for comfort) be very careful who you get to do your installation.

A certain "expert" up near Morrisons road/yellow road is very willing to take your hard earned money for work that falls far short of expert.

I had his work re-done by a brilliant guy, whom I only know as "Francis" from the stove depot in Witches Lane. The lads up there are a pleasure to deal with. They would not stock Mazona stoves.
    I have no connection of any sort, other than that of a satisfied customer, with Stove depot or their contractors.

Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 HondaB16

DO NOT follow this picture

It is fitted so wrong and is against so many regulations of you have a fire the insurance won't even look at you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colettejordan

Hi..can i just ask is ur fireplace opening 16 or 18inch ty
    i was looking at these 2day..i like how ur's fits neatly, my space is 16 inch,,ty
    colette

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threerivers

Hi, I'm just wondering can anyone give me an update on this thread. I am looking to get a small stove in my new extension so I could use some recommendations on where to get one and also to get it installed by someone. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I used The Stove Depot in Witches Lane, just off Ballinaneesagh. Good range of stoves in there.

Advertisement