Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting cars for hire companies

Options
  • 17-08-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'll be in NZ for 4 weeks and Oz for 2 weeks next month, some of my mates said there are frequently people like car hire companies looking for drivers to transport the cars from A to B and they provide expenses etc, and this would be a great way for me to get about (eg Melbourne to Sydney). Has anyone heard of this or came across any websites for it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

This is one such site - http://www.transfercar.co.nz/From what I have read about them you don't have a lot of time to trasfer the car so literally would be using it to get from A to B. There are other such companies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Nice one, thanks. If there are any for Eastern Oz that would be great, finding it difficult on google to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Look up the jucy rentals NZ site, there was something about relocating cars on their site last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Home now and have these on file as reference for my own trip, so try them too. First one I think covers Oz too.
    http://www.standbyrelocs.com/
    http://www.thrifty.co.nz/index.cfm/1,119,299,0,html/FREE-Relocation-Deals-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I did a relocation for Apollo from Darwin to Perth. They gave me brand new campervan for free for 9 days and paid $850 towards petrol costs (think petrol cost about $900 in total as we took few side trips). You can buy extra days as well, which we did. Can't remember the price for extra days as was few years ago, it was cheap though. Another huge benefit is that insurance with an excess of $1000 was included, it's usually $6500 on basic insurance.

You will get limited time, even with extra days. In WA you can have a couple of 1000km driving days where there is not much to see (except expanse of beautiful blue sky, suicidal skippies and road trains!) but on east coast you probably want to stop every 100kms to check out sights, so might be bit harder to squeeze it all in during the time period they allow. I couldn't fault it though, had an amazing 2 week roadtrip for few hundred dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Done it myself. Got a brand new ford transit from Sydney to Melbourne. Cost me a dollar a day. Had three days to do it with the option of adding more on. Its a good way to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Slunk wrote: »
    Done it myself. Got a brand new ford transit from Sydney to Melbourne. Cost me a dollar a day. Had three days to do it with the option of adding more on. Its a good way to get around.

Thats one of the trips I'd like to do Slunk, did you book through a website or just find it when you were out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Girlfriend actually found it online. Was an Apollo van. Think she just Googled relocations a few days before we were leaving. There's plenty of companys that do it as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LisaRed

any other info on these relocation websites guys? Looking to travel from Cairns to Brisbane mid Sept and hadn't heard of this method till reading this thread (cheers by d way!) so yeah, any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement