Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Phone Number...?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Sorry I had no idea where else to put this, mods please feel free to move..

I work in shops all over the Dublin and Meath area - from time to time I will get a phone call from the number 01 1111111 - when I pick up, the line is held for about 5 seconds before cutting off - does anyone know what this is? Been happening for months now and it's really beginning to bug me!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like its harvesting phone numbers. Dialling randonly & making a note of whats answered. The caller ID is possibly faked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Text_Mad

Got a phone call from this number can't figure out where it's from can anyone help me?
    +353539485100

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Text_Mad wrote: »
    Got a phone call from this number can't figure out where it's from can anyone help me?
    +353539485100

Google on that returns:

Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel
    Ballymoney
    Gorey, Co. Wexford
    Ireland
    Tel: +353 (0)53 9485100
    Fax: +353 (0)53 9485164
    E-mail: reception@seafieldhotel.com
    Web: www.seafieldhotel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

We get this quite regularly where I work, it's irritating to say the least. We've gotten used to it and know what to expect thanks to the caller ID but I'd love to know the source, legitimate or otherwise, of these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Your only real course of action is to report the exact time and date that you received the call on, as well as any caller ID, to your phone company. Tell them that it's a nuisance call and ask them to investigate who it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I'm not sure if op received these calls on a mobile and if so if he has a landline/desk phone extension diverted to that mobile.

Significant number of cases of PBX hacking reported recently where the owners noted a large number of calls from strange numbers in the days leading up to the hacking. This number was specifically referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

OP.

Ring your mobile provider and log a call to see who exactly has that number. It wont matter if they are spoofing that number or not. Your provider can chase that matter down to exactly who owns it even if they are trying to hide it.

Advertisement