Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teachers viewing scripts-rechecks

• 17-08-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have been asked to check a script for a friends child who is not happy with their L Cert grade in my teaching subject. Any ideas how I go about doing this? The school is pretty far away from my school so I wont just be able to pop in. Will I be able to get the marking scheme? Thankfully my own students are all happy! Hope your students were happy too:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its a pain getting asked because kids can just tick all the boxes and hope that they find marks. firstly, you get a MS. next, no phones, biros etc allowed in there and you will be told quickly if you pull out a biro. lastly, what are their expectations? do they expect more marks or is it a futile exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I understand the no biro thing but no pencil to keep score of marks. I have never corrected this subject or taught it at LC HL but have o do as I am asked. The result was a shock tbh. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

What's the subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

vamos! wrote: »
    I have never corrected this subject or taught it at LC HL but have o do as I am asked.

Why on earth are you being asked to do it so?! If you have no knowledge of the paper, they may as well ask any Joe off the street. Do you teach the child? Is it in your school?

Hi
    friends child.............. The school is pretty far away from my school

read the Op post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

the student will nominate either the Friday evening, or the Saturday to view their scripts. You have to go to the appointed session, and view the scripts, with the child, in the nominated room in that school.

Is there any reason your friend doesn't want the child's teacher to view the script with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Without trying to state the obvious, add the scores from each question (best Q's as per instructions etc) to make sure they are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

TheDriver wrote: »
    read the Op post

I read it, but I'm confused as to why the OP has to do this. OP could simply say that s/he hasn't taught the subject at LC and doesn't correct and should get the parent to ask the child's teacher.

I've been asked to do this in the past and have refused as I would feel uncomfortable going into another school to check the exam of another teacher's student.

Now, if the child's teacher is unavailable or it's just adding up that needs doing, that's different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hi
    I have been asked to check a script for a friends child who is not happy with their L Cert grade in my teaching subject. Any ideas how I go about doing this? The school is pretty far away from my school so I wont just be able to pop in. Will I be able to get the marking scheme? Thankfully my own students are all happy! Hope your students were happy too:)

You say in the above post "my teaching subject". .....then you say that you haven't taught it to leaving Cert HL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

If you havnt taught the subject to leaving cert and havnt corrected Leaving Cert exams then I would advise you not to do it....you really need to be familiar with the leaving cert exam paper/marking schemes etc to be able to spot any issues with the marking.

• Advertisement

i think this is the problem creeping in, the student can have a look at the paper but then wants someone else to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi

If you are doing it as was already said you have to go there at the same time as the student and they will be allocated a time on Friday evening or Saturday morning. You can't bring in anything to write with. They will be provided with a form if they want to appeal and there is another form they can fill in where they think the discrepancies are. If there are any realistically you have to go in and out of the room to fill it in with the no biro rule. Marking schemes are provided.

Ideally, the student's teacher should view the script with them, but it could be a case that the teacher is not available, the student doesn't get on with the teacher, the student/parent didn't think the teacher was a good teacher in the first place and wants another opinion.

As someone else said, if you are going to check it, check the totals first and see if they are correct. Then go through each part of each question and compare it to the marking scheme and see if they have been allocated the correct marks for each correct answer and if they have given any answers that are in the marking scheme that haven't been allocated marks. If they aren't in the marking scheme don't waste your time arguing the point.

If there are two sets of marks on the paper, one in red and one in green, it's already been corrected by two examiners, one of them an advising examiner and it's highly unlikely you will find any discrepancy.

This system is great for students as it makes the examination correction process transparent, but I've found time and time again with students who ask me to view scripts because they've felt they did better, often see when they start reading their answers that it's been corrected properly and what they wrote was incorrect/off the point/complete waffle.

What is the subject anyway... some subjects are a fairly cut and dried affair when it comes to marks as the answer is right or wrong (chemistry) where as in English it's a bit more subjective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By a country mile the most likely source of 'extra' marks is where the allotted marks have been incorrectly totalled.

To tot them isn't as straightforward as it sounds though (hence the occasional error) you must only add as per exam instructions and you do NOT include any marks in square brackets [].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Great thanks. Its LC French which I have never taught to LC HL. I have always had the LCA and OL classes as I have always been a sub (career breaks) and have never been given the opportunity to teach the HL classes. They appear to be like gold dust. Im RPT this year and still timetabled for the OL and LCA classes. Id love a HL challenge before I forget my French altogether!

Id better start reading up on how the opinion pieces are marked... they are quite subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

mrboswell wrote: »
    Without trying to state the obvious, add the scores from each question (best Q's as per instructions etc) to make sure they are correct.
    spurious wrote: »
    By a country mile the most likely source of 'extra' marks is where the allotted marks have been incorrectly totalled.

To tot them isn't as straightforward as it sounds though (hence the occasional error) you must only add as per exam instructions and you do NOT include any marks in square brackets [].

+1

As someone who has worked as the superintendant's assistant at these things, I can tell you the most mistakes are made when it comes to adding up the final marks. You will be given a marking scheme, but tbh it's very rare that something has been marked incorrectly.

Advertisement