Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year australian visa for american over 30

Options
  • 17-08-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

hi

I am applying for the 1 year working visa to australia and I have no problems as I am under 30.

however I have an american friend who is 32 and the usit site says the visa is only for people under 30

does anyone here know of any visa options for over 30s?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Look at the FAQ but of the top of my head none as easy as the working holiday visa. Sorry no pearls of help are coming your way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

For international students they are granted a student visa regardless of age which enables you work 20 hours a week and you can enrol in a course for as little in some places as $3k for 26 weeks.

You student visa lasts as long as the course you enroll in. If you want to stay you longer, you can just keep enrolling in different courses.

If applying for PR an Australian qualification counts for a lot more points than an Irish one.

Courses are fulltime, but many colleges run courses over the weekend to facilitate people with fulltime midweek jobs.

Also courses are piss easy, with no grades, just a C for compentent and really you dont need to spend your entire weekend there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For international students they are granted a student visa regardless of age which enables you work 20 hours a week(taxable 20 hours ;)) and you can enrol in a course for as little in some places as $3k for 26 weeks.

You student visa lasts as long as the course you enroll in. If you want to stay you longer, you can just keep enrolling in different courses.

If applying for PR an Australian qualification counts for a lot more points than an Irish one.

Courses are fulltime, but many colleges run courses over the weekend to facilitate people with fulltime midweek jobs.

Also courses are piss easy, with no grades, just a C for compentent and really you dont need to spend your entire weekend there at all.

You can't have a fulltime job if you are a student. I don't consider $6k a year to be paticularly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

....which enables you work 20 hours a week(taxable 20 hours ;)) .....

Mod Do not go there

Mellor wrote: »
    You can't have a fulltime job if you are a student. I don't consider $6k a year to be particularly cheap.

It's an option very popular with Indian and Chinese students as they can't apply for WHV as easily as Europeans or Americans. And I can assure you most do work fulltime, hence why they run these courses on weekends.

they pay the 6K a year because even a ****ty job cash will earn you 40k a year with rent prob 10k thats still 24 a year left over which is plenty. No one wants to but paying it guarantees your visa.

when you finish your courses and have been in the country for so many years you may be applicable for PR as its based on a points system.

Its a route a lot of people don't know of, well in Ireland anyway and if you're over 30 without quals its the most surefire way to get PR.

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Do not go there

Hey, Im not trying to encourage anything, Im only saying how it is.

Hey, Im not trying to encourage anything, Im only saying how it is.
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who do it, but its still against the terms of the visa.

OP Its perfectly legal and well within the terms of your visa if you don't work over the specified hours.

Obviously some people here have some agenda and take the visa process personally, why is beyond me.

On a side note, you can work full time during holiday periods, your midterms will be about 2 weeks and occur every 6 weeks or so, you can also acquire an ABN which is like a VAT number and you can use this for contract work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Obviously some people here have some agenda and take the visa process personally, why is beyond me.
    Huh? :confused: I am lost, can you explain this?
    Take a visa process personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It's an option very popular with Indian and Chinese students as they can't apply for WHV as easily as Europeans or Americans. And I can assure you most do work fulltime, hence why they run these courses on weekends.

they pay the 6K a year because even a ****ty job cash will earn you 40k a year with rent prob 10k thats still 24 a year left over which is plenty. No one wants to but paying it guarantees your visa.

when you finish your courses and have been in the country for so many years you may be applicable for PR as its based on a points system.

Its a route a lot of people don't know of, well in Ireland anyway and if you're over 30 without quals its the most surefire way to get PR.

Student route is no guarantee to PR.

• Advertisement

OP Its perfectly legal and well within the terms of your visa if you don't work over the specified hours.

On a side note, you can work full time during holiday periods, your midterms will be about 2 weeks and occur every 6 weeks or so, you can also acquire an ABN which is like a VAT number and you can use this for contract work.
    1. Working full time is working over the specified hours. Simple as.
    2. I am aware you can work freely during the holidays, but they are a tiny portion of time, plus its not like you can always demand extra hours, or such flexibility.
    3. Sort agenda are you talking about?
    4. How can you rake a visa personally.

You don't seem to understand that boards.ie can't be seen to suggest that breaking the law is ok because everyoen does it. i know everyone does it, but for the likes of the OP, he should be made aware that it's illegal and can mean your visa will be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Haven't the rules around the (dodgy) college course --> PR route been tightened up recently? Hence the big drops in numbers of Indian students (ie taxi drivers) coming to Oz in last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Maybe some of us who have been through the process value doing the right thing in the first place, whats wrong with that?

I have a few family members who are interested in emigrating and I would hate to see Ireland classed as a High Risk country because a few muppets decide to break the rules to suit themselves, its the wrong attitude that leaves bad impressions.

Sure it all seems a laugh and a bit of Craic now but it might affect someone else's chances in the future.

I notice not a single person who replied to this thread did so to offer OP advice on how to get his friend a visa. why would you bother replying otherwise?

I offered a legal method, the information all there on the Gov websites, its not some loophole or secret.

No, you suggested he breaks the law. Not legal, obviously.

The student visa is an option for his friend, there is nothing wrong with mentioning it. Maybe he is fine with working full time and breaking the terms, that's up to him. But I was pointing out that it is illegal, so that he is aware. Many employers are happy to let their employees work more than the specified hours, many employers aren't.

Advertisement