Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my leaving cert results today

• 17-08-2011 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

:( Today i got my leaving cert results , i failed my maths and i only got 175 points . I wanted to do Culinary arts so bad i love baking and cooking so much .Now i cant do it i dont know what to do .Does anybody know what i could do ????:(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

repeat dude, its only a year of your life. It will fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Two major options, repeat the LC, or do a FETAC course or some such in baking etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭bren2001

Two major options, repeat the LC, or do a FETAC course or some such in baking etc

Email the college that does culinary arts and ask them what the best FETAC is to do.

Or just repeat. Get math grinds. Its only 10 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

If you're thinking of repeating remember it's active maths you'll be doing this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

listen to countdown to 806 this evening at 7pm on 2fm .... they will talk about possibilities and what to do when you failed. you can also call them and ask question so you can get exact answer. Hope it helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

some IT's run FAILTE courses (such as CIT) which are interview based and don't count your leaving cert at all. I know there is one in Professional cooking for 3 years, if its any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Firstly, Did you get an E, F or N.G. ?

If its an E you should have a look with your teacher and if you think it is worth a re-check pay a few bob and see what happens - you have nothing to lose.

If your teacher is not available pm and I'll have a look with you if you want (provided you are near Dublin).

Best of luck.

EDIT: just saw you are from Limerick. Might be someone in the teaching and lecturing section that could have a look if your teacher is not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Especially given an area like culinary arts, an appropriate PLC / FETAC course might well be a good option.

As bren said, talk to the college; even check on their website, they may have info there about entry through FETAC route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Especially given an area like culinary arts, an appropriate PLC / FETAC course might well be a good option.

As bren said, talk to the college; even check on their website, they may have info there about entry through FETAC route.
    Indeed. Here's a post I typed out in another thread here, I believe this might also be an appropriate place for it, hopefully it helps a bit weighing up your options.
    Nailz wrote: »
    Mate, I know you might think it's all bad, but as has been said, it's only a year in your life. From this you'll be far more mature and more willing to succeed, things like this sometimes do people the world of good! Also, you do have options, repeats isn't exactly necessary, you can do Post-Leaving Cert courses, go to places like FETAC colleges and actually follow on and do courses you really enjoy without having to pull through the multi-subject over-hyped crap that the LC throws at you.

I done a FETAC course myself, and I recommend it to everybody who don't get what they'd like in the LC, even if they do well, as I did, I would still recommend it. In doing one of those courses you know exactly what you're getting, if you're doing a Business or Science or Arts course you don't have to tolerate all of the Maths, English, Irish or whatever, and it's a lot less pressure. Everything is far more relaxed - and it's also a very realistic option for your future in academics and career prospects.
    Take myself for example, I went on and done a Further Education course as I said, I favored it far more than I did the LC system, I was happy doing what I was doing. And now I am on my way to completing a Bachelor of Science degree in a subject that I love in one of Ireland's top Universities and will hopefully I will carry it on further into Post-Grad, hopefully if I continue my root.

What I'm just trying to say is keep your options open, dude. All the best for the future! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Check some culinary courses websites and they will tell you if they accept FETAC course and which one you need to do and what grades you need to get to get into the course.
    BTW, was it Culinary arts in DIT?
    checking the website, they say they have 5 places for fetac, and you can do any Fetac course as long as you get 5 distinctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rugby lover

I got an offer for tralee .I am thinking about defering the offer till next year and in the mean time look for a job or do some other courses see i am not too sure if i want the course and i dont know much about tralee. How do i defer an offer ????

Advertisement