Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a business issue, any ideas?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Customer buys a printer/scanner/copier of me, which I got from the cash and carry.

Printer, sits in a bedroom for just under two years for the odd print as most printing is done on an office printer.

Printer packs up, out of warranty but under sale of goods and services act, its still covered so its now back with me.

But Cash and Carry tells me out of warranty, talk to manufacturer !

Any ideas whats next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If the sale of goods act applies to your sale, surely it applies to the Cash & Carry.

As you know the sale of goods act is separate to warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,

What warranty did you give your customer on the equipment.

If it was for the same length of time that your supplier gave you, then I don't see how the "sale of goods and services act" give your customer additional rights.

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Manufacturers warranty is typically one year but sale of goods and services act overrules this and speaks of a reasonable period of use.

I know this, so the printer is back with me, however sent back to musgraves I'm told its out of warranty, talk to brother.

Just to confuse things a bit more, I am the seller and the buyer, it was in my house !

Messy ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

not an ideal situation. You can't really report yourself to the Consumers Association of Ireland.....

With the way the price of these muntifunction printers have dropped, it might be easier to take the hit and just replace it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

2 years and you returned a printer? Please see me you got them to at least part pay for an exchange. They've had use for it for that long and now get their money back>!?

• Advertisement

not an ideal situation. You can't really report yourself to the Consumers Association of Ireland.....

With the way the price of these muntifunction printers have dropped, it might be easier to take the hit and just replace it

Think so....:(

I use my office printer for printing, its just a home printer.

I doubt its done more than 50 pages.

2 years and you returned a printer? Please see me you got them to at least part pay for an exchange. They've had use for it for that long and now get their money back>!?

Believe it or not a consumer has the right to one of the three R's from the shop, but what happens to the shop when the manufacturer says feck off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

With the price of printers, I would just take the hit and get a new one.

Although if the cash & carry won't play nice, a quick email to the manufacturer can't hurt.

It's a wierd situation. As you are both the consumer and the supplier, can you take a case to the SCC against the cash & carry? Technically you are their "consumer" and you would have the original trade invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

It sat in his room for two years?

Did he change all of the cartridges in that time?
    Cartridges do cause heads to clog up if not used within a time period so these things are not always as cut and dried as they seem.
    I would have sent him off with a flea in his ear.

If you wear a pair of football boots and leave them to rot for two years would you expect a refund when the leather goes?

Edit....I also agree with Border.....life is too short.

Advertisement