Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route (HEAR)

• 17-08-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

So I got 370 points in my LC (A lot less than I expected) and my #2 course requires 395 points. I am eligible for the HEAR scheme but does that mean that I will get accepted to the course or perhaps if there is enough available places after all students with the required points got the place, I might be offered a place there?
    Basically what are the chances that I will be offered a place in that course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

that's what I am wondering too!

I got 435 but need 485... :/

Will I get accepted through hear?

I hope so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I don't think anyone can really guess the chances of that sadly! You might get in on less points or you might not, you'll just have to wait and see. You don't even know if the course will require 395 this year anyway!

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

paul4green wrote: »
    that's what I am wondering too!

I got 435 but need 485... :/

Will I get accepted through hear?

I hope so :D

Best of luck to you mate. Let's hope we both do :)

If I do get accepted to my #2 I'll be more than happy. I wouldn't care that I got less points than I expected. I guess I should've done more studying during the year, not the week before the exams. lol

flyaway. wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can really guess the chances of that sadly! You might get in on less points or you might not, you'll just have to wait and see. You don't even know if the course will require 395 this year anyway!

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. :)

Yeah, I'm afraid that it might go up.

By the way, have you any idea how the points for a course in a certain year are chosen. What is it based on? The number of people that have applied for the course or...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Dbstf wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm afraid that it might go up.

By the way, have you any idea how the points for a course in a certain year are chosen. What is it based on? The number of people that have applied for the course or...?

It might go down, too!

I'm pretty sure it goes based on the number of people who applied and their results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

As far as I know it goes like this: (the HEAR people told me this, but I can't remember it exactly, so if anyone can explain better or I have something wrong, correct me)

A certain amount of places are reserved for HEAR, DARE and mature students.

The HEAR student must met the requirements of the course (e.g. passing English is requirement for a lot of courses, or maybe something like Higher Maths for an Actuary course). All students applying for the course would have to meet this requirements.

Those HEAR students meeting the requirements with the highest points that applied for the course would be offered a place, even if, say, they got less points that is required for the course. So... in theory that student could be far under the points requirements and still get a place.

biggrin.gif

SOCIO-ECONOMIC DISADVANTAGED FOREVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

OP, if you were one of the 5% of people you should get it. I got 45 points off my course last year with DARE. Depends on size of the course. What course is it by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Last OP is correct. Each programme sets aside a number of places for HEAR students. You need to know what the HEAR points are though. Generally they might be 10% less than last years lowest points entering the programme and then it depends on the calibre of candidate applying through HEAR with you.

Best of luck.

unknown13 wrote: »
    OP, if you were one of the 5% of people you should get it. I got 45 points off my course last year with DARE. Depends on size of the course. What course is it by any chance?

Integrated Children's and General Nursing :D

Dbstf wrote: »
    Best of luck to you mate. Let's hope we both do :)

If I do get accepted to my #2 I'll be more than happy. I wouldn't care that I got less points than I expected. I guess I should've done more studying during the year, not the week before the exams. lol

yeah God ! I'm so worried now :P

Oh well If it doesn't work my way I'll be in Biomedical Science DIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Hey, just to reassure you, I got into my first choice through HEAR two years ago, I got the grades needed for my first choice and was offered it despite being 70 points short. So theres still a change you might get he offer you want!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It really boosted my confidence about it now :D. I'll let you know if I get it.

The course is Landscape Architecture - UCD.

So I got the course but I don't know if it was through HEAR or not. How can I find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hi guys!
    Okay so i meet the income factor, the medical card factor and i am not sure about the area/parents career.
    My area is marginally below average disadvantaged! is this eligible????
    Also my mother is a single parent and has no third level education, is this eligible???
    thanks for your help.
    also does anyone know how much it reduces the points for medicine?

Hi guys!
    Okay so i meet the income factor, the medical card factor and i am not sure about the area/parents career.
    My area is marginally below average disadvantaged! is this eligible????
    Also my mother is a single parent and has no third level education, is this eligible???
    thanks for your help.
    also does anyone know how much it reduces the points for medicine?

You sound like you may be/ are eligible. Have you applied already? Deadline was March 1st.
    Again it is first come first served so if there are 2 medicine spots reserved for HEAR, the HEAR applicant with the most points will be given the first spot and the second spot will go to the second highest etc.
    It all depends on applicants and their points

You sound like you may be/ are eligible. Have you applied already? Deadline was March 1st.
    Again it is first come first served so if there are 2 medicine spots reserved for HEAR, the HEAR applicant with the most points will be given the first spot and the second spot will go to the second highest etc.
    It all depends on applicants and their points

Great! oh gosh yeah i have applied ages ago! :P
    I see. i wonder is there anyway of knowing what the points were last year? just to give me an idea? :)
    but say if there are eligible hear applicants for medicine who get enough points, i am not still competing against them am i? :)
    thanks for your help

Great! oh gosh yeah i have applied ages ago! :P
    I see. i wonder is there anyway of knowing what the points were last year? just to give me an idea? :)
    but say if there are eligible hear applicants for medicine who get enough points, i am not still competing against them am i? :)
    thanks for your help

That's good, I have come across people who only found out about HEAR after the deadline.
    In regards to points HEAR applicants got in on? I doubt those figures are available. The figure I heard is that the max people get reduced by is 50 points.
    As far as I know that you would be competing with them because they will get the first spot, seeing as they are the highest points. I think this happens as HEAR is not primarily to reduce points. I'm not sure exactly though.

That's good, I have come across people who only found out about HEAR after the deadline.
    In regards to points HEAR applicants got in on? I doubt those figures are available. The figure I heard is that the max people get reduced by is 50 points.
    As far as I know that you would be competing with them because they will get the first spot, seeing as they are the highest points. I think this happens as HEAR is not primarily to reduce points. I'm not sure exactly though.

Yeah i have heard of them too. how annoying would that be! :P
    right, well sure i will just put the head down and let fate take it's course so.
    Thanks for your help. you are ever so kind!

Yeah i have heard of them too. how annoying would that be! :P
    right, well sure i will just put the head down and let fate take it's course so.
    Thanks for your help. you are ever so kind!

You're very welcome! It's all such a complicated business even the people involved get confused sometimes I'd say :P

Advertisement