Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird ATM problem with my debit card

Options
  • 17-08-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Alright,
    I'm an Ulster bank customer and the closest ATMs to me (home, work) are Bank of Ireland ones.

So for a year and a bit I've been using the same BOI ATM without problem. 2 months back the same ATM suddenly would always reject my card "Appears to be defective.. Contact your bank" etc.... So instead I went to one on the way in to work and it worked fine for 2 months (so thought the other ATM was busted etc) but... suddenly its giving me the same issue.

I always make it past the PIN screen but as soon as I select an amount to withdraw it always ejects the card stating its defective.

If I go back to the original ATM it still has the same problem.

Now I've seen people use these ATMs without problem though couldn't see which banks they're part of.

Now the interesting thing is if I go to the next nearest BOI ATM after these two that the card works?!

I've also called Bank of Ireland (branches) who report that their ATMs are fine.

The card itself is in great condition. No dirt, scratches etc to the magnetic strip. There are some outlines from previous ATM use but that's about it. The chip on top is a little dulled from age but no damage to it either.

I've gone and order a replacement card from Ulster bank but just curious as to whether others had experienced something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Seem random.

Be interesting too see if the new card solves the issue. Have UB confirmed the card was working?

Advertisement