Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose of Tralee

• 17-08-2011 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Why is Waterford never in the Rose of Tralee anymore? Were we disqualified or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We had someone go to Portlaoise for the "finals" for Waterford, but she didn't succeed. Iv been told a few times that its not that easy to get in and sometimes knowing some of the judges can help swing things your way.

We had a rose last year from Fenor, Co. Waterford. Lovely girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

And we still have a Rose from Waterford competing, albeit as the German Rose. Best of luck Saoirse!

http://roseoftralee.ie/v5/roses/international-roses-2011/international-roses-2011/germany-saoirse-fitzgerald-243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

What nights are the lovely girls on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

when Waterford Crystal were one of the main sponsors we had no problem having a Waterford Rose in the final. Do ye get my drift??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

The reason we always had a Rose up to a few years ago was because Waterford was it's own centre then and had a guaranteed a place in the finals in Tralee.

The structure then changed and the number of Irish Roses was reduced to increase the number of oversea Roses (and thereby increase the number of visitors travelling in for the festival). We now have regional finals, where representatives from a number of counties (including Waterford) compete for a place in Tralee.

Nothing to do with Waterford Crystals sponsorship, all down to the national organising committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

we have a dubai rose, yet I dont expect hundreds of Dubai citizens to flock to Tralee!! yet, if we had a waterford rose Im sure a few hundred family, friends and supporters would go to Tralee for the week.
    ever since the rules changed, the festival has gone down hill completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Waterford won the contest twice i think. The last winner 1983 i think, the contestent was from Co Tipperary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Yes Orla Burke Kiersey and Brenda Hyland were the 2 winners. Tune in tonight to see the West Waterford girl representing Germany, I think shes the fourth girl on.

Advertisement