Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reject my first offer?

• 17-08-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I didn't get the points for my first three choices but I did for Irish studies in trinity. Thing is, I think I'd prefer an arts course in ucd which is my 9th choice. If I get an offer for Irish studies but don't accept it will it mean I'm just chancing it to get into UCD? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I didn't get the points for my first three choices but I did for Irish studies in trinity. Thing is, I think I'd prefer an arts course in ucd which is my 9th choice. If I get an offer for Irish studies but don't accept it will it mean I'm just chancing it to get into UCD? Any advice?
    If you reject your first offer, there is no guarantee that you will get another one in the second round ... you may, but you may not, depending on whether points drop much on the choices you put higher. If your offer is your 4th choice, say, there is no way you will subsequently be offered your 9th choice in UCD, regardless of what the points for that course are.

The CAO works on the principle that you knew what you were doing when you filled it in, and if your offer is for your 4th choice, all lower choices are immediately cancelled and vanish off the system.

Read the CAO sticky at the top of the forum.

If you accept your first offer, that doesn't prevent you getting a *higher* offer in the second round *if you are entitled to one*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Don't reject. Accept then consider your options should you get subsequent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Can you accept and transfer?

You need to be realistic when doing the CAO, your first choice should be your very favorite course that you most want to do. Your 7th, 8h, 9th choice, should really be the things you don't really want do do unless thats all you can get points for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 silvercrown

i got my 2nd offer yesterday (nuig arts)but i prefer my first choice - arts in ucd but i'm only a few points short.

Do you think there's a chance that i'd get my first offer in the second round?i really dont know what to do since for the fees and grants application by the 31st and the 2nd round offer is the 1st of sept!! i need to fill in the final course acceptance form...would i be able to change the course code/send in a new course acceptance form if i do get my first offer?

i'm really really confused,someone please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i got my 2nd offer yesterday (nuig arts)but i prefer my first choice - arts in ucd but i'm only a few points short.

Do you think there's a chance that i'd get my first offer in the second round?i really dont know what to do since for the fees and grants application by the 31st and the 2nd round offer is the 1st of sept!! i need to fill in the final course acceptance form...would i be able to change the course code/send in a new course acceptance form if i do get my first offer?

i'm really really confused,someone please help.

Galway is a great spot... You can transfer for 2nd year if you really want to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 silvercrown

hokeypokey wrote: »
    Galway is a great spot... You can transfer for 2nd year if you really want to...

i know,the 2 courses are basically the same but Galway is much further away from home.thanks for replying though

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Always accept your offer if you plan on going to college this year. If you're close in points to an offer higher up the list accept your current offer and then wait for the other round(s). If you're applying to another course within the same college talk to college Admin about it. They may know of routes into it (depending on how similar your current course is) that you haven't even thought of. I know from experience UCD is really, really helpful with this.

Advertisement