Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid stupid stupid little muck-up just ruined my day

Options
  • 17-08-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Just picked up my new toy phone today at 4pm. Sony ericsson xperia. I have been waiting for this for about 3 months since I started fighting with meteors customer care team about my current bills. I filled out all the paperwork in the local carphone warehouse, direct debits, bank details etc. collected my new e-mobile sim pack and headed back to the car.

I thought I'd be good and not wreck my wifes head by playing with the phone until we got home so I left it in the bag. We did the shopping and arrived home at 6:05. After having a quick browse through all the liteature and user guides I put in the battery and unclipped the sim card but as I was inserting it into the slot at the top of the phone I realised something was abit off.

I hadnt handled a sim card since I put one into my last phone over 12 months ago but it did seem abit small. Although it was only about half way in the design of the slot meant that I couldnt get it back out. upon further investigation it seems that they now manufacture 2 sizes of sim card and obviously I got the wrong size for the phone.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow, bring it back to the shop, wade through the inevitable bureaucracy crap before getting a sh1tty replacement phone for the several weeks it will take to fix the damn thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

You either got a Mini SIM, or you tried to insert the SIM into the MicroSD card slot. Here is a comparison between a normal SIM and a MicroSIM. Which one do you have?

http://teleguru.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/NORMAL-AND-MICRO-SIM4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

No, its a mini-sim that I was given along with the phone. I didnt upgrade I switched networks. My contract was up with meteor so I switched to e-mobile. They gave me the e-mobile sim pack (mini sim) and the new phone at the same time.

Obviously, from the shops point of view, with different phones requiring different sized sims they have to stock both sizes and give out the appropriate sized sim for the phone that the customer is using.

The sim slot is just under the micro SD card slot (which already had a card in it) but its for a full sized sim. I just put the sim about half way in before realising that it wasnt taking up the full width of the slot. By that time it was too late and every effort I made to get it back out just pushed it further in.

I'm just finishing up abit of work first and then I'm going in to head into town and see if I can get it sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Chill out, they just have to change the Sim to the standard sized one.

Sounds like you get too worked up about stuff. ;)

Sounds simple enough alright, but the mini-sim is stuck in the phone now. I'm not really worked up about it but its just annoying that something so small and stupid can make such a mess.
    If it were as simple as getting out the old sim and giving me a new one there would be no issue but I just know that the phone will probably have to be sent off to be reparied (even though its never even been turned on) and I'll be stuck with a shop phone replacement while I'm waiting. That along with the fact that I have no phone now, which I need for work is abit frustrating.

BTW if I was that worked up about it I'd be writing in bold with caps lock:p plus its never ever a good idea to tell someone thats worked up to calm down it usually has the opposite reaction, learned that one with my wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe some meditation. You shouldn't be getting that worked up about it. Seriously go buy some tweezers. You'd have it sorted immediately.

Kinda annoying these micro-SIM, makes it very awkward if you need to swap sims in the future.

Tried tweezers but whatever material the sim cards are made from is kinda flaky and it just picks chunks out of it, TBH didnt try too hard as there is alot of fragile looking circuitry in there, much prefer that they mess it up instead of me. I brought it back to the shop and they tried but at the minute they are bringing the phone to another store, I'm waiting on a call to collect it now.
    I didnt get a shop phone replacement just lamped the new sim in my old phone while I'm waiting.

Medication would be nice but I would prefer if stupid stings like this just stopped happening. Sorry but I spent the last 2 days dealing with the rural public service and this was obviously just the final straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A problem shared...:D

Needle nose pilers then. But fair enough let them sort it out.

BostonB wrote: »
    A problem shared...:D

Needle nose pilers then. But fair enough let them sort it out.

Well got my phone sorted. As I predicted it wasn't as straight forward as it should have been. Anyway I'm replying to this post on it right now so all worked out

• Advertisement
Advertisement