Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I have a few options for next year but I don't know what would be the best

• 17-08-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have some life decisions I need to make. Please help!

Option 1: Go to college- Irish studies in trinity. I've gone off it a bit, I'd prefer to be doing two subjects and not just one. But I do love Irish and I'd probably enjoy it immensely once I got there.

Option 2: Get a job and spend five months in London - Hey, it sounds like fun, I'd love to do this

Option 3: Become an au pair in America- Cos, hey, why not? Sounds like fun, get child minding experience, get to be in america

Option 4: Repeat my leaving cert- do some work, get the points I want. Go do the course of my dreams. (Modern Irish and Classical Civilisations, if you're wondering)

Please give me some advice on what you think is a good idea. I really need help with this decision!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

BTW, if I do option2/3, I'd be taking a gap year and going into irish studies in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it's the course of your dreams - repeating the LC isn't a big deal and you may change path by the end of it. Finding yourself in the wrong course can be a demoralising and expensive affair.

You don't know if you didn't get it yet. What career would you like? Are there alternative ways into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well, whatever about the travelling, the basic decision that you're making here is between Irish Studies and Modern Irish and Classical Civilisations. I think the worst thing to do is to go to college and into a course you don't want to do. A lot of the time this leads to failing exams, dropping out, owing fees for next time...its not a good situation to be in, but it is avoidable.

Have a good think about what it would be like to be in either of those courses. Look at the descriptions of the modules, the prospects after the course, and the subject matter you'll be dealing with and see which you can honestly see yourself enjoying yourself in and at the same time, not be plagued with "What Ifs" about another course.

Repeating the LC might seem like the end of the world, but have a look today at the results thread and the amount of people who repeated who are so happy. You wouldn't find the year go by and you won't be ancient going into first year, theres always a good range of ages starting off in college.

I would advise that if you were repeating the LC, to do it this year. Taking a year out before college is one thing, if you can get back into study then thats great, but while the material is still fresh in your mind you might be better off getting back into it asap. Also, once you're in college, the long summer gives loads of time to do a few months work abroad.

Good luck with the decision, do put a lot of thought into it and see which course you really want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I'm not sure about what career I'd like, maybe something theatre related, or maybe an Irish teacher. I think I'd be one of the good ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm not sure about what career I'd like, maybe something theatre related, or maybe an Irish teacher. I think I'd be one of the good ones :)

If you're interested in teaching, you'd need to check that Irish Studies is on the Teaching Council's list of approved courses, if it's not, you wouldn't be eligible for the Post-primary PGDE. Likewise with the other options. If you haven't looked into this, repeating the LC might be a good idea. You could take the course and find yourself not qualified to do what you'd like to pursue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Accept your CAO offer on Monday, defer it, repeat the leaving, have loads of options this day next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Option 2 and 3 might not be that easy, we all know jibs are hard to come by for school leavers and being an Au pair requires you to get with an agency many od which may want qualifications and background checks. etc

Advertisement