Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert help!

• 17-08-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I only got 275 points in my leaving cert, and I know I won't get any of the choices I put down on my CAO. I didn't put down any level 6/7 courses either (I know pretty stupid of me!) But I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get into college instead of repeating?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deepertheroots

Threader13 wrote: »
    So I only got 275 points in my leaving cert, and I know I won't get any of the choices I put down on my CAO. I didn't put down any level 6/7 courses either (I know pretty stupid of me!) But I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get into college instead of repeating?!

What are you interested in doing? There's always other ways around the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Threader13

I wanted to do Psychology in NUIG but I didn't get the points. Didn't get enough to do it through Arts either :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

Check out your local PLC colleges and NUIGs admittance policy. Some PLC's run relevant 1 year FETAC courses such as applied psychology or social studies and if you get really good marks (these are quite specific to each course such as 5 Distinctions in specific subjects such as Human growth and development etc. so make sure to check this out first!!) you may be eligible to do arts.

Good luck! hope it works out for you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There's also UCAS, as someone was telling me about today.

Check the website for "clearing" (aka spare) places and maybe try call around as well!

If you find somewhere in Scotland (and possibly Wales) you won't have to pay any fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sandy2011

I too didn't have the points to do Psychology, and am now pretty much on that route now. I did have points for Arts though. You should look into some of the private schools perhaps (if you've got the money for that) Although i really would put some thought into repeating your Leaving and getting enough points for Arts.

I hope you know that Psychology is a veryyyy long road! If you want to complete it out to the end, it can take around 8-10 years (v.pricey). Make sure it's for you! Hope this helps, and isn't too disheartening!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help guys. I just really don't want to waste another year of my life doing the Leaving Cert, I don't know how I got that much when in my mocks I got around 450 :/

Could I still be offered a place in a course even if I don't have any one my CAO, like a level 6/7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You could keep an eye on the Vacant Places list (will re-open tomorrow) ... see if anything comes up which interests you.

You'll have to apply for it then if so though, no-one will just pick a random course and decide to make you an offer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

You can read about vacant places on the CAO site
    Left over course places that are free to be filled.
    That course doesn't mention a Fetac route but their a LOT of psychology courses in the country, and some do.

Am I able to apply for a vacant course even if I have only one higher C3? As most courses require two higher C3's or above and do I need to have the right amount of points to apply for a course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Threader13 wrote: »
    I don't know how I got that much when in my mocks I got around 450 :/

If you really think you should've scored higher then you could get your papers rechecked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement