Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SRAM Red - Front Derailleur Problem

• 17-08-2011 8:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just built up a new bike and fitted a new SRAM red groupset on it. Its a compact chainset and I'm running a dura ace 10sp rear cassette due to my rear freehub being originally earmarked for a 7900 dura ace group.

Getting used to the "double tap" technology. While I agree it's an intuitive groupset, I'm having some teething problems with my front derailleur. Basically, when I change from the small to the large chainring, the chain keeps coming off on the outside. Am going to bring it back to cycle superstore but wanted to see if anyone here has had similar problems? FYI when changing using the left shifter I'm using a firm action but nothing overly aggressive. It's quite frustrating.

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

You need to adjust the high limit screw to prevent it from falling off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey man,
    Adjust the high limit screw on the derailleur. Should solve your problems, plenty videos online to show you how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Those pesky SRAM front mechs seem to be giving a lot of trouble, you may sort it with limit screw adjustment but from experience they really seem to be hit or miss, I really don't like the limited trim on them either, I was working on one a few months ago think it was a La Pierre bike, I adjusted the front mech took it for a test ride and it was perfect but when the customer tried it, it wouldn't shift to the large ring, any way, long story short, I had to adjust the H limit screw so that when I tried it, it over shifted but when he rode it, it shifted perfect, so very odd indeed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The trim is irritating all right but I thought red had better trim than force (what I have). As in I was expecting to have the clicking on small -> small with force but thought red had an extra click halfway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I read somewhere recently that the pros dont use a red front derailleur, they use a force one instead

• Advertisement

J Madone wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that the pros dont use a red front derailleur, they use a force one instead
    The difference in deraileurs is red has titanium pins and outer plate I think. This is obviously lighter but more flexible. Since their race bikes are generally below 6.8 kg they can afford the 10g extra weight for increased stiffness in shift mechanism.
    The problem I find is the trim on the force shifter where the derailleur is either rubbing the chain on sprocket 1 or 10. I thought red had an intermediate click that stopped the rubbing on both 1 and 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I've had the same problem with Rival (and, from googling it, looks like it's a common issue.) I now check the H screw every week or so to keep it under control. Otherwise, as you say, a single aggressive shift up can send it flying off outside the big ring. It's a fine balance - tighten the H screw just a little too much and it won't downshift.

oflahero wrote: »
    (and, from googling it, looks like it's a common issue.)

Agreed, I had looked it up before and this thread (along with more pronounced chain rub lately) has led me to google it again.

Came across some good setup guides (and it also appears that Red and Force have the same trim functionality - on the big ring). One good one was on bikeradar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Thank you all for the very helpful comments. Bringing the bike back to Cycle Superstore tomorrow to sort out front derailleur. I should mention that, even at this early stage, I really like the action on the Red groupset. Very crisp and tight shifts - v little play compared to Shimano. It is way more intuitive than Shimano but this is just my opinion.

Onwards & upwards

Rob

Advertisement