Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert options Galway

Options
  • 17-08-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hey,

My little bro found out today what happens when you don't do a tap in the two years prior to sitting the leaving and is resigned to repeating.

He has been a student in a school in one of the smaller towns in the county. He really needs to get out of there.... and away from my elderly parents (with whom he has a fractious relationship)...

A few of he's older siblings live in Galway but none of us have knowledge of the schools.... other than Yeats college what other options are out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

St. Mary's takes repeats.

But unless he failed everything, he actually does not have to repeat to get into a good course. There are loads of PLC courses available in Galway, as well as the Access course in NUIG if he qualifies for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

thanks for the reply,

I wasn't aware of the access course in NUIG, I'm not sure he would be eligible, he failed 2 subjects, so doesn't have the prerequisite number of passes, I also don't think he would fit the socio economic criteria that its aimed at... it does sound like a real good initiative

will speak to St Mary's tomorrow...

any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

dasium wrote: »
    any other suggestions?

What about gti? Might give him a more college-like feel. Alternatively try the bish, endas, collaiste coirbe and moneen. There are many to call and investigate...

Personally I think he is better of repeating than going a roundabout route through plc courses etc, especially if he has the ability and his poor results were down to lazyness. It will stand to him in future.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, he actually despite failing 2 subjects got an offer in GMIT for a decent course . At this stage its up to him whether to repeat or not. I would like to repeat as I think the experience might mature him...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

PLCs in Galway Community College or GTI could potentially leave him with 400 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

dasium wrote: »
    I would like to repeat as I think the experience might mature him...

If he wants to repeat, I would suggest yeats college. I repeated my leaving cert there and it has done me wonders, with becoming more mature, learning how to study properly and how to actually prepare for exams.

I do think college would be a lot harder if I didn't go to yeats because of the techniques I learnt on how to study for exams, look at the exam papers and answer exam questions.

Now saying that, I hated the place wanted to just quit it in October and not repeat. But after a while, and once I accepted being there the time flew and now in college, doing the course i enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

+1 for Yeats.

I'm not sure about the other second level schools in Galway,but I'm delighted I repeated in Yeats.

-1 for Yeats, I knew a ton of people who repeated there and said it was the worst, most stressful experience for a whole year.

I'm not sure about the long way round being bad OP, there's alot to be said for taking the time to get where you need to go, especially if your bro found school overwhelming/underwhelming/just not right. It's hard to force a lad to mature before his time, everyone is different and sometimes going to a place where there are little achievements more often to get to the big achievement can make a big difference in confidence and ambition.

Don't discount GTI and GMIT, especially if he really firmly doesn't want to repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Eviledna wrote: »
    -1 for Yeats, I knew a ton of people who repeated there and said it was the worst, most stressful experience for a whole year.

I hated yeats when i was there, like i said in my post in october some time i wanted to quit it, but I stuck with it. The time I did there was painful, boring but I did learn a lot from it and it helped me so much throughout college with it.

I looked at it this way, Its 8 months of your life to learn and gather skills that will benefit you through your entire academic life. such a small amount of time for such a bonus.
    Eviledna wrote: »
    And the maturing part, students entering college now Just have a unmature mindset, Look at NUIG RAG week. A extra year can do so much for someone.

where there are little achievements more often to get to the big achievement can make a big difference in confidence and ambition.

Like weekly tests?

Columc wrote: »
    Like weekly tests?

No, I meant in the bigger scheme of things. For some people, the road to a degree is sometimes better travelled in smaller achieveable qualifications leading to the end goal of a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Saw in the paper that 32% of yeats students got over 500 points. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't send him to Marys, Endas or Moneen if he isn't some one who will work. The Bish would be a great option but he hasnt a hope of getting in there, they dont even take back some of their own students. Not sure about C. na Coiribe but they do get good results in that school, it is a gael scoil though FYI. Yeats would probably be the best option if ye could afford it though, you either study or sit around pretending to study. Very hard to skip classes/study periods too without getting a call home.

Advertisement