Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic still really warm after insulation

• 17-08-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

The attic in our house - 4 bed detached built in 1982 - was badly in need of a top up of insulation, with the original 100mm (I think) frayed and worn away in places. Some of the attic is floored with chipboard, some not. The attic is almost always really warm, indicating (I thought) that heat was escaping up from the lower floors of the house. In summer, the attic is warmer than the rest of the house.
    A few days ago we had a contractor in who installed the following:

- 4inch Kingspan board on top of already floored areas
    - Blown fibre (800mm) in all other areas

I was in the attic this evening, expecting to find it much cooler, however its its still really warm up there. I'm not sure there's any difference at all. Am I expecting too much too soon, or should I already notice a temperature drop up there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Mredmond wrote: »
    The attic in our house - 4 bed detached built in 1982 - was badly in need of a top up of insulation, with the original 100mm (I think) frayed and worn away in places. Some of the attic is floored with chipboard, some not. The attic is almost always really warm, indicating (I thought) that heat was escaping up from the lower floors of the house. In summer, the attic is warmer than the rest of the house.
    A few days ago we had a contractor in who installed the following:

- 4inch Kingspan board on top of already floored areas
    - Blown fibre (800mm) in all other areas

I was in the attic this evening, expecting to find it much cooler, however its its still really warm up there. I'm not sure there's any difference at all. Am I expecting too much too soon, or should I already notice a temperature drop up there?
    Any heat in attic at this time of year is coming from sun.
    Insulating attic floor keeps heat inside house, the attic will be warm from sun on tiles or slates unless you have roof joists insulated.
    In the depths of winter, go into your attic and check how cold it is :D You have done all you can in attic so relax and have a few beers and think of your reduced heating bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

nophd08 wrote: »
    Any heat in attic at this time of year is coming from sun.
    Insulating attic floor keeps heat inside house, the attic will be warm from sun on tiles or slates unless you have roof joists insulated.
    In the depths of winter, go into your attic and check how cold it is :D You have done all you can in attic so relax and have a few beers and think of your reduced heating bill...

I agree..... Enjoy the snugness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Insulation should indeed keep out the external heat as well as the cold . But black tiles on a sunny day get to hot to handle.

I have my attic done with 8" of kingspan and the summer heat does not get in .

Just the way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Thanks for the replies folks - confirms my original sense that this would reduce the heating bill.

Still, when you have to shell out the money for the job, you think "hang on, am I paying for nothing here"?

Don't think I've ever looked forward to Winter so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Mredmond wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks - confirms my original sense that this would reduce the heating bill.

Still, when you have to shell out the money for the job, you think "hang on, am I paying for nothing here"?

Don't think I've ever looked forward to Winter so much!
    With the extra insulation up there dont forget the water tanks and pipes [if they are up there ] if we get hard frost this winter . you might need a small heater to stop the freezing because there will be very little heat getting up there now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Open to correction on this, but is it not accepted practice NOT to have any insulation directly under the water tank??

Good idea about the heater - my parents done this last year and it worked a treat for them....

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Cal04

would a heater up there not be dangerous?

Advertisement