Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Security Deposit

Options
  • 17-08-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Right bear with me! :)
    • I recently seperated from my partner.
    • Airtricity account was in my name for two years or so - I rang airtricity to get ex-partners name on account
    • So Airtricity closed my account, and set up a new account in my ex's name, rather than just changing my name to hers on the top line of the bill.
    • Now Airtricity have charged her a €200 security deposit, regardless of the fact that we both were paying, although it was in my name.

Is this fair? Cos the €200 was taken from money that was in her account to pay rent, and she only got email notification from Airtricity, but she didn't check / see it. And now her landlord is shouting about the rent not being paid.

Can the fact that she was paying towards the bills that were in my name not be taken into consideration - all bills were paid on time and in full - there has never been any arrears on the account.

If someone could please help, I would be so thankful.

Thanks,
    Al....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had a friend in a similar situation, €600 deposit with Bord Gais, its the worst time for this to happen, just when you need to be on top of bills.

In my friends case after pleading with them and contacting MABS. She got nowhere. IN the end she got a letter from her community welfare officer guaranteeing the €600 deposit for 6 months so she could pay it off at her own pace. She only got it down to €400 and got threatened with disconnection.

She then had to get a Gas payment card. now when she buys €10 gas credit, €4 goes off the €400 arrears (deposit) and the rest actually buys her gas credit.

Its disgraceful for some one who has always been up to date instantly getting in to arrears when the account holder moves out.

If you are living with someone make sure your name is also on the bill, even if you have to put 4 names on the bill.

Try the citezen's information office in case they can do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Thank you for the reply! It's just so bloody frustrating at a time when things are hard enough for everyone!
    I'll ask her to try the citizens advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take your personal emotions out of it for a minute and think rationally. Airtricity have no official record of dealing with your ex-partner. She has no credit history with them and is a completely new customer as far as they're concerned. That's why they didn't transfer the account to her name but instead created a new one.

You'll have to accept this - it's tough luck, but your credit history with Airtricity has nothing to do with her.

I've done that, Dudara, and I genuinely understand Airtricity's reasoning behind their decision.

However, I cant understand why someone with a bit of decision making power within Airtricity cannot use a little bit of common sense and see the situation for what it is.

And according to Airtricity.ie, the €200 will only be refunded on closure of the account if you're a tenant - You can reclaim it if you are a homeowner after 12 months of making payments on time. Now I understand that they have been burned by people leaving big bills, but surely if you have 12 months good record, you should be able to get the deposit refunded, regardless of whether you own the house or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

I recently moved to a new apartment. First bill in the door was bord gais looking for a €400 deposit. I switched provider to esb, no deposit needed (when paying by dd)

• Advertisement

tdow wrote: »
    I recently moved to a new apartment. First bill in the door was bord gais looking for a €400 deposit. I switched provider to esb, no deposit needed (when paying by dd)

Anybody know how ESB's prices for dual fuel (elec/gas) compares to Airtricity???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

At this exact moment today (bearing in mind prices are going up for everyone) Flogas are cheapest for gas and ESB are cheapest for electricity. The system is in flux but these two do not require you to sign a contract with them so if they put prices up by too much you can leave if someone is cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cookie1977 wrote: »
    At this exact moment today (bearing in mind prices are going up for everyone) Flogas are cheapest for gas and ESB are cheapest for electricity. The system is in flux but these two do not require you to sign a contract with them so if they put prices up by too much you can leave if someone is cheaper
    just made the big switch to FloGas:) their billing system cant be any worse than bord gais.

I've had no problems with flogas so far and have been with them for some time now. I do think it's quaint that they only do paper billing (no online account whatsoever) but I can live with it for their efficiency to date and discount

I've had no problems with flogas so far and have been with them for some time now. I do think it's quaint that they only do paper billing (no online account whatsoever) but I can live with it for their efficiency to date and discount
    MY biggest gripe with Bord Gais was they would produce the bill usually a week late on their systems but it could take upwards of 2 weeks to get the bill in the door! Obviously this is not giving the required 14days notice for direct debit payments so i Cancelled the direct debit!

They asked for a €400 security deposit and I asked for a written undertaking that all future bills would be on time and all future direct debits would comply with the Direct debit Guarantee scheme. heard nothing more about the security deposit:)

• Advertisement

I was with them prior to esb for leccy but I was totally online billing. I didnt have any problems and they sent what can only be described as a lovely letter when I move to esb. Never got anything before like that from a company for leaving them.

Not good that your paper bills came so late. Bit cheeky.

alproctor wrote: »
    I've done that, Dudara, and I genuinely understand Airtricity's reasoning behind their decision.

However, I cant understand why someone with a bit of decision making power within Airtricity cannot use a little bit of common sense and see the situation for what it is.

What would be there basis for that decision? Your good word (and I'm not doubting that it's good)? That's just not enough.
    And according to Airtricity.ie, the €200 will only be refunded on closure of the account if you're a tenant - You can reclaim it if you are a homeowner after 12 months of making payments on time. Now I understand that they have been burned by people leaving big bills, but surely if you have 12 months good record, you should be able to get the deposit refunded, regardless of whether you own the house or not!

Those are the rules that Airtricity choose to impose. It's up to you to accept them or not.

People often come here and say "why do these rules apply to me? I'm a good person, I'm a special case, they shouldn't apply to me" The fact of the matter is that these rules apply to everyone, and no one is that special. People need to get over this sense of personal offense.

dudara wrote: »
    What would be there basis for that decision? Your good word (and I'm not doubting that it's good)? That's just not enough.

Those are the rules that Airtricity choose to impose. It's up to you to accept them or not.

People often come here and say "why do these rules apply to me? I'm a good person, I'm a special case, they shouldn't apply to me" The fact of the matter is that these rules apply to everyone, and no one is that special. People need to get over this sense of personal offense.

I never said I was special, nor do I want any preferential treatment for my ex-partner, and I am not being influenced by any sense of 'personal offense'.

I did accept Airtricity's Terms & Conditions when I signed up, and I assumed that the same T&C would apply to my ex-partner when she took it over.
    What I cannot understand, and what is frustrating is that when I signed up to Airtricity, I paid no deposit, nor was I asked for one, so obviously the 'rules' have changed in the intervening period, and now it is being imposed on someone who can hardly afford it, regardless of the fact that she ran the household when the bill was in my name. I do however accept your point regarding my good word.

Even if this deposit were to be paid over time (say, a number of months), this would make things a bit easier on my ex-partner, and ultimately my children...

I do understand and agree with what you are saying regarding rules applying across the board, but if I had known what was going to happen, I would have left the bill there in my name, and preserved the status quo, so to speak. Would have been easier for everone involved!

What I cannot understand, and what is frustrating is that when I signed up to Airtricity, I paid no deposit, nor was I asked for one, so obviously the 'rules' have changed in the intervening period, and now it is being imposed on someone who can hardly afford it, regardless of the fact that she ran the household when the bill was in my name. I do however accept your point regarding my good word.

When I moved from Cork to Dublin 5 years ago, I changed my ESB account accordingly but I don't think I was asked to pay a deposit. However now, everyone is asked to pay. I think things were just a little laxer in the past.
    Even if this deposit were to be paid over time (say, a number of months), this would make things a bit easier on my ex-partner, and ultimately my children...

I'm not tryng to be smart here, but can you give her to money for the deposit, seeing as how your kids are in the house?

When I moved from Cork to Dublin 5 years ago, I changed my ESB account accordingly but I don't think I was asked to pay a deposit. However now, everyone is asked to pay. I think things were just a little laxer in the past.

I agree.

I'm not tryng to be smart here, but can you give her to money for the deposit, seeing as how your kids are in the house?

If I was in any position to make sure that my children, or indeed my ex, didn't have to miss out on anything or to cut back on anything, I WOULD DO SO!!!!! :(

Right bear with me! :)
    • Now Airtricity have charged her a €200 security deposit, regardless of the fact that we both were paying, although it was in my name.

Al....

Sorry just reading this again. Did they take the security deposit without initially telling her they would?

Sorry just reading this again. Did they take the security deposit without initially telling her they would?

Apparently they sent her an email but, not being online regularly, she didnt see it until yesterday after she rang them!!!

So they did inform her..... :(

So did they tell her when she signed up or did they just fire off an email to tell her they were also going to take the security deposit. These types of things should have been made very clear when she initially signed up and not some email sent later on.

Ask her to clarify these details. If it was not made clear to her when she signed up I'd complain.

So did they tell her when she signed up or did they just fire off an email to tell her they were also going to take the security deposit. These types of things should have been made very clear when she initially signed up and not some email sent later on.

Ask her to clarify these details. If it was not made clear to her when she signed up I'd complain.

I'm not sure tbh, I'll be seeing her tomorrow evening and I'll ask her then.

If I was her I would contact the bank and tell them the amount is disputed and demand they reverse the charge, then get on to bord gais and get them to bill her in writing for the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MikeR

Al,

if your paying by DD, contact them and talk with them about this.

I know that people who sign up on the telephone on on the net do have to pay depositsm but if you sign up with a door to door rep, no deposits are required.
    M

Advertisement