Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Quality vs Price

Options
  • 17-08-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

When buying a litre of milk the price can range from 90cent to 1.30 for standard milk. centra own brand v branded .

Is there any difference in the quality or is milk milk.

Also organic milt is 99cent in Lidl , 1.72 in some supermarkets - are they all the same.

I assume milk comes from a cow and that is it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You are correct in that cows milk does come from cows.
    However when you consider that a lot of farming fertilisers are oil based then what cows are being used for is a device for converting mineral oil to milk.
    Fertiliser-grass-cow-milk.
    Consider also that some farmers will put animals back on pasture that has had herbicides sprayed on it recently and think what residues might be in the milk you drink.
    Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You are correct in that cows milk does come from cows.
    However when you consider that a lot of farming fertilisers are oil based then what cows are being used for is a device for converting mineral oil to milk.
    Fertiliser-grass-cow-milk.
    Consider also that some farmers will put animals back on pasture that has had herbicides sprayed on it recently and think what residues might be in the milk you drink.
    Your choice.
    I'm not sure that applies here.
    Own brand milk isn't some cheap version, its actually just at a reduced profit margin. almost all the time its made my one of the other major dairys it is sold a long side.

For example, a certain supermarket's own brand is made with, and delivered with premier dairys, its basically identical.

Same for bread etc, Brennans make the own brand bread for the same supermarket, another supermarkets uses Pat the Baker.

The idea is to get you into the shop and they make thier profit on the other stuff that is marked up much more than a carton of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Maybe your right about the milk.

Dont think your right about the bread - just read the ingredients.

So - should you pay the extra 30 cent for branded milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure that applies here.
    Own brand milk isn't some cheap version, its actually just at a reduced profit margin.

Incorrect, we make more margin on ownbrand milk than we do on known brands

So is

for example

NCF the exact same quality milk as Centra own brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hammertime wrote: »
    Are you a farmer, wholesaler, dairy or end retailer though? somebody probably has reduced profits.

In my local greengrocer 2L of branded NDC milk is cheaper than the tesco own brand next to it. I have seen women going in buying about 20L at a time, probably for their cafe or something, possibly another shop.

It was dairy land cuisine brand at one stage, can't recall what it is now. He probably is not making much on it, but probably sells more fruit & veg because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Most of the big supermarket own brands are from the big two of Kerry or Glanbia. Just a change in packaging on the line.

Some of the cheaper brands out there is actually Northern Ireland Milk when you look closely, thats why the NDC campaign in recent years.

So it is agreed that cost is not generally a reflection of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hammertime wrote: »
    How does that prove me wrong?
    Who is "we"?? Could be anyone.

I refered to a specific shop selling a branded milk at a lower margin. I worked here, i know i'm right. You in that regard, i'm not incorrect.
    I'm sure if its a small shop selling crap the margins are differnet, but not applicable to what i said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Tidyweb wrote: »
    So it is agreed that cost is not generally a reflection of quality.

i wouldnt agree. im a long time milk lover and there is a significant quality difference between cheap own brand milk and avanmore or premier dairies imho.
    a lot of the cheaper milk seems to come from the north.

• Advertisement

i wouldnt agree. im a long time milk lover and there is a significant quality difference between cheap own brand milk and avanmore or premier dairies imho.
    a lot of the cheaper milk seems to come from the north.

Its a matter of perception, glanbia produce Tesco/Dunnes own brand yet some people think there is a difference between the Glanbia brand and the supermarket brand taste and quality even do they come from the same milk sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Its a matter of perception, glanbia produce Tesco/Dunnes own brand yet some people think there is a difference between the Glanbia brand and the supermarket brand taste and quality even do they come from the same milk sources.

it is not a matter of perception, they dont come from the same sources, dunnes milk comes from Natural dairies limited in donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Completely subjective opinion =

Glenisk Organic > Lidl/Supervalu/Tescos Organic > Avonmore > Premier Dairies

Tetra Pak > Plastic bottles

Plastic bottle milk = plastic gross taste

it is not a matter of perception, they dont come from the same sources, dunnes milk comes from Natural dairies limited in donegal.

Milk is a bulk product that is delivered directly daily to stores so different dairies around the country supply the supermarket own brands.

Advertisement