Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make up help

• 17-08-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Looking for a bit of advice here on make up. I'm 15 and it's my first time wearing make up done by me (very new to it all!). I have a family event on Saturday, I don't have anyone to show me and I don't have much time. I have pale skin as well.
    So basically I'm wondering which colour eyeshadow I should wear. I have blue eyes and auburn hair. The dress I am wearing is white with bits of pink and green. I was hoping that a light brown would be ok, I have tried it and it seems fine and I don't want it to stand out much.
    Another question is about eye liner and mascara. I saw somewhere that only people with very dark hair should wear black eyeliner and mascara, so should I go for brown? I tried black and I looked a bit freaky tbh! I got brown eyeliner but it doesn't really come out on the lid, only underneath which sort of clumps the tops of the lashes a bit together. The first time I tried it I thought it looked nice but then the next time not really! So should I go for brown mascara and eyeliner and is it even possible to get brown mascara (I've only seen black)?
    I have foundation and I'm pretty sure it looks ok, it doesn't look much different than without so I think it's alright.
    Also what brands are the best? I'm talking about max factor, rimmel etc available in chemists that are cheap.
    Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Evil_little_me

Greens, plums, purple, gold, grey, copper, browns. Violet is grogeous with blue eyes. Dark blue can really bring out the blue tones in your eyes. I have blue eyes and brown-redish hair and I love brown/gold tones. One of favorite looks is a brown smokey eye or a two tone plum.

I can't live without black eyeliner, but if you don't want to stand out, a brown line or even white would do the trick. Black mascara would frame your eyes and add definition, espeically if you're going for a neutral look. And yes it is possible to get brown mascara, although it's not one of my personal favourites.

The best way to test your foundation is in direct sunlight on your neck. Never test on your arm / wrist.

Maybelline, Max factor, 17, Rimmel - all really good brands of foundation and most are reasonable in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

golds and plums would be gorgeous with your colouring. no 7 do good palettes. you could go for brown mascara for a natural look. i've always gone for black mascara and black eyeliner and keep lips a natural colour, or even just gloss. practice a bit with the eyeliner.. hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Princessdizzy

I'm not going to try and advise on the colour eyeshadow - it's going to be experimenting and what you feel comfortable in. But just a few tips I've picked up for the other bits (myself and in professional training):
    Foundation - you've got it right if it doesn't look much different. It should even out the skin tone and be a base, not stand out or change your skin colour. Take time applying it. Whatever you're comfortable with - a sponge or fingers. I like a wedged sponge. Also you could mix the foundation with moisturiser in your hand or make sure the sponge is 'moisturised' so it glides on easily and blends everywhere.
    Mascara - by the sound of your colouring I would definitely go for brown mascara. All the brands Rimmel etc will have it. Even if its dark brown it will be better than black which will be too harsh.
    Eyeliner - oh the fun over the years with that and what I must have looked like! Experiment, experiment. You could try blending/smudging it a little after application with a cotton bud. Or some eye liners come with a smudger on the other end. Another thing I've done so it's more subtle is use brown eyeshadow applied with a very thin brush as eyeliner, then its easier to blend and it's not a thick line.
    And a golden rule I've always read about and makes sense is either go for bold eyes or bold lips - not both. If you've got a great dark/bright colour on your lips, your eyes should be subtle. If you've done your eyes bright/noticeable be subtle on the lips.
    Make sure you feel comfortable with whatever you do and have fun on Saturday!

Advertisement