Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnsons Bedtime Lotion..

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After we bath our 3 month old son, We have been putting on Johnsons Bedtime Lotion or Johnsons Baby Lotion and he CRIES so much, he almost makes himself sick from it.
    My wife normally does the bathing, Because I'm always at work, But last night I took him for his bath.. He loves his bath and was laughing and giggling throughout. Even when I was drying him he was still laughing and then I put on the lotion, I poured it on to my hands and rubbed them together to heat it up a bit..But as soon as I placed my hands on him He started the crying and roaring..
    I only did a small bit and decided to stop using the lotion, tonight my wife washed him again and used Johnsons Baby Oil, But there was no tears..

Has anyone else had this experience with this product?

http://www.jetsetbabies.com/popup_image.php?pID=449&image=0

This is the product..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my only experience of a J&J product was the bathtime companion to the one you are asking about and it made my 4 and 2 yr olds skin so dry and flared all their really dry patched I never used it again, not even on myself.
    IMO J&J products are not suitable for babies at all, too much perfume and other chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My eldest had a severe allergic reaction to that stuff
    No problem with any other J&J product but if that's the one with lavendar oil in it (and I think it is) it brought her out in a BAD rash!

Try getting a hypo allergenic PH neutral perfume free lotion for your babs
    Baby skin is so sensitive!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

All creams gave my lad a rash. Even the hypoallergenic 100% natural ones.

That J&J bedtime one is scented too.

We dumped all the lotions and only shampoo once a week. All other washing is done with plain water. His skin is great now.

If the baby's skin is good they don't need lotion, and if it's bad they need something from the pharmacy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Get rid of it - if he's crying when you put it on why continue?

Does he have a skin condition - is that why you started using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I only use natural products on my kids skin (and mine!) that contain no perfume, no parabens, no sodium laureth sulfates, etc... They don't have to be organic and costly, just additive and crap free. Weleda is great for baby skin, but a tad expensive.
    For the bath, I don't use any baby bath because they drink the water (yuuuck), and I wash them with a soap free - SLS free wash. I apply Weleda body lotion (calendula, great for atopic skin).
    You can also try the Lipikar range from La Roche Posay. It's pricey but a little goes a long way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Agree with above poster. There is so much crap in god knows what in the products we wash ourselves with and put on our skin. Here is a link that shows you whats in Johnsons Bedtime lotion and the problems associated with using it. You can also use this site for searching many different products you will be surprised by what your using.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/311928/Johnson%27s_Bedtime_Lotion/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It is beyond me why J&J baby products are so popular, when they're so highly perfumed.

Great site for natural baby products http://www.earthmother.ie/
    Irish company :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Gaia is also fantastic...I've used their lotion on my (very sensitive) face with great results.

All I used on my girls was the Halos & Horns range...completely natural, none of that scary stuff so commonly used elsewhere.

Slightly different subject, but just imagine: if J&J (and Pampers/Huggies/etc) regular wipes can take tar off of cars, why would you put that within 20 feet of your child's most delicate parts?

J&J is well documented as using horrible ingredients, most of which are self-perpetuating (ie: the bath wash dries out the skin, so you then use the lotion, then you wind up with nappy rashes so use the nappy balm....)

Ayla wrote: »
    Gaia is also fantastic...I've used their lotion on my (very sensitive) face with great results.

All I used on my girls was the Halos & Horns range...completely natural, none of that scary stuff so commonly used elsewhere.

Slightly different subject, but just imagine: if J&J (and Pampers/Huggies/etc) regular wipes can take tar off of cars, why would you put that within 20 feet of your child's most delicate parts?

J&J is well documented as using horrible ingredients, most of which are self-perpetuating (ie: the bath wash dries out the skin, so you then use the lotion, then you wind up with nappy rashes so use the nappy balm....)

ghaaaaaaa. Is that true? :eek:

Halos & Horns can be found in Tesco. It smells yummy but I find the shampoo a bit too sticky, it doesn't wash off easily. Tesco has a natural range that is good value and no nasties in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Nanazolie wrote: »
    ghaaaaaaa. Is that true? :eek:

They can clean anything...and why would you think that is? Scary stuff, those chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Ayla wrote: »

Good point although I never really thought about it before! I use the baby wash (just a little bit) but i've NEVER had to use any kind of lotion on my baby and her skin is great without it, she's only ever had one baby rash which I used coconut oil on and it cleared it in no time at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Thanks for all your replies..My eyes have really been opened to j&j now..

He's our first child, so we just used J&J because its a brand that we know thought we knew!!
    His skin was a bit dry so thats why started using it, we genuinely thought the crying was from the lotion being cold so we just used it quickly.. Thankfully he has not got any form of a rash from it.. But the lotion will be going to the bin..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

if you bath him every night just be aware that even water will dry out a baby's skin.. keep the drying to a minimum and don't use anything in the water. i use aveeno cream on my lad.. he had issues with very dry skin early on, and it's great.. also a good alternative to bath gels is some porridge oats in a piece of muslin cloth and tie with a band and drop it in the bath.. it's great for moisturising skin adult or child ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    also a good alternative to bath gels is some porridge oats in a piece of muslin cloth and tie with a band and drop it in the bath.. it's great for moisturising skin adult or child ;)

Excellent suggestion brilliant for everyone's skins and no nasties

A handful of soda in the bath will also help dry / chapped skin. I second the oat, although the muslin is a bit fiddly, I just use an old sock with the top tied up.

I think most people use J&J because it what's our mums used on us and it just reminds us so much of the baby smell.
    My Mother in law brought us talcum powder from Italy, apparently it was THE thing to use on a baby's bum in Italy (in the 70s....:rolleyes:). The ingredients listed alcohol :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

We have a little boy with excema and after the bath we were recommended to use emulsifying ointment to keep his skin hydrated its about 5.00 for a huge tub of it. All J & J products are dreadful for delicate baby skin. You should also try not to use any soap with pefume in it. We also on occasion use Emulsiderm in the bath, a bottle you can buy in the chemist and this is marvellous for soothing and softening the skin. I would get him checked out with the Doctor also in case he is developing excema or allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Silcock's base is also brilliant and very cheap. It can be used as a soap, a moisturiser, a cleanser, whatever. It's very mild.

• Administrators Posts: 14,056 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have you noticed the J&J ads have stopped saying "8 out of 10 midwives would use it on their own children..." (or something along those lines). That's because any midwife, phn etc I have ever spoken to recommend against it!

Any/all of their products.. lotion, oil, baby washes have always brought my kids out in a raw red rash.

Water only in our house!

Advertisement