Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken washing machine

Options
  • 17-08-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

So my washing machine in my rented house died, a throw in with the wash basically disintegrated and has wrecked the machine, will I have to pay to replace it or should I ask the landlord to take it out our security deposit? have never had a major appliance break before, kettles and toasters and the like but they'er a few quid from argos or wherever, but washing machines are a few hundred quid, and I so dont have the money for that now :mad: do I have a leg to stand on asking the landlord to replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

the landlord's insurance probably covers its replacement - ask landlord to replace it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how do you mean it is wreck? clothes breaking up shouldnt wreck the machine.

do you mean it is no empting? If so, have you cleaned out the filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mari2222 wrote: »
    the landlord's insurance probably covers its replacement - ask landlord to replace it.
    That is not true. Most landlords do not have insurance to cover this.

It sounds like the item put in the machine should not have been put in the machine. That would be beyond normal wear and tear.

The other side is the washing machine was faulty and caused the damage.

Given it was a throw I suspect it was not meant to machine washed. If it came apart it could easily damage a machine. A sock can damage a machine but that would not be your fault. Something not meant to go in the machine clogging it up it is your fault and you need to pay for it. A deposit can be used but that doesn't mean you don't pay for things as you damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishbird wrote: »
    how do you mean it is wreck? clothes breaking up shouldnt wreck the machine.

do you mean it is no empting? If so, have you cleaned out the filter?

Well it was full of wet fluff in the drum, i put it on a rinse and drain cycle to clear out the remaining water that didnt drain before i took out the load of clothes,ill check the filter later, i dont mind paying for a new one if i have to, just checking my options

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

check and clean the filter as irishbird suggested first and see how that goes. Also have a good look at the drum and make sure that the holes in it ain't clogged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

check and clean the filter as irishbird suggested first and see how that goes. Also have a good look at the drum and make sure that the holes in it ain't clogged!

Our's isn't emptying either and given the level of scum I cleaned off of the seal when we moved in I'm going to check to the drum holes now.We cleaned out the filter etc but then machine is older that myself to so hopefully that's the issue. I hate annoying/contacting my LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

If it broke through normal usage (just was too old or whatever) then absolutely no way do you need to replace it - the landlord has to supply you with a new one and in good time too. If you broke it because of misusage or taking the pissery, you have to replace it.

What happened exactly? Did it just give up the ghost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Had the exact same problem during the week. See here-

www.boards.ievbulletin/showthread.php?p=73895042

Landlord paid for the repair but I'd advise you to try and check the pipe yourself for a blockage before getting somebody out to look at it as it may be a blockage that can be easily removed like mine was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

I am a landlord and if my tenants had a broken washing machine i would replace it. and i certainly would not take it out of their deposit. Only last week one of the fridges stopped working and i had it repaired the next day. Its my responsibility. Now if the tenants through a party or something and someone deliberatley broke something i wopuld tell them to replace it themselves. thankfully this has never happened.
    I cringe when i hear horror landlord stories.
    I had a painter and decorator up in my property last week and had the sitting room, kitchen, bathroom and hall repainted freshly for my tenants (The previous paint was 2 years old and a bit dull)and all the windows cleaned and the blinds all washed down. I have a vested interest in keeping my property in good condition.
    I have had showers repaired, washing machine etc all down the years and all the next day after I was informed. The upshot of this is, I have good respectful tenants who hopefully are not going to leave in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I am a landlord and if my tenants had a broken washing machine i would replace it. and i certainly would not take it out of their deposit. Only last week one of the fridges stopped working and i had it repaired the next day. Its my responsibility. Now if the tenants through a party or something and someone deliberatley broke something i wopuld tell them to replace it themselves. thankfully this has never happened.
    I cringe when i hear horror landlord stories.
    I had a painter and decorator up in my property last week and had the sitting room, kitchen, bathroom and hall repainted freshly for my tenants (The previous paint was 2 years old and a bit dull)and all the windows cleaned and the blinds all washed down. I have a vested interest in keeping my property in good condition.
    I have had showers repaired, washing machine etc all down the years and all the next day after I was informed. The upshot of this is, I have good respectful tenants who hopefully are not going to leave in a hurry!

Well done on providing an excellent service, very refreshing to hear of good landlords, my own has been thoroughly excellent the last few years also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement