Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering where I stand on this issue with An Post

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

An Post attempted to deliver a package to me. There was nobody at home so they took the package back to the office.

I've been out of the country so couldn't collect the item. A family member tried to collect it with the delivery notice but was refused, apparently it is now policy that only the addressee may collect the item, this depsite my being out of the country and the family member having id and proof of address both for me and her at the same address.

I get back into the country and try to collect the package. I'm told that it has been returned to sender. No address was recorded for who the sender might have been. A tracking code was written down, but it's two digits short so doesn't work.

Now, I'm kind of at a loss because I don't know what was in this package nor was I expecting anything. It was apparently "red white and blue" which could mean anything, since plenty of international mail comes in something similar. An Post can't tell me if was even returned to sender. There's a possibility that it could still be at any of a number of places around the country, but without the sort code we can't track it to get it "recalled".

Anyone have any ideas for rectifying the problem? The girl in An Post was less than helpful, so maybe there's a way around the lack of a tracking code?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's gone back to the sender, so there's nothing you can do. There is no way around the lack of tracking number. Unregistered mail is not traceable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The An Post missed delivery slips afaik have a section that allows you to grand permission to a third party to collect the package, this is done by signature.

You were out of the country which is fair enough but An Post haven't done anything wrong they merely followed a policy which is put in place to stop postal theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homer

What was the original attempted delivery date and when were you out of the country? The reason I ask is I was in the states two weeks ago and returned home to 2 An Post attempted delivery slips. On the slips it stated that items from Ireland would be held for a week, the EU would be held for 2 weeks, Outside the EU 3 weeks? I may not be correct on the exact time they hold them for but they do have a policy in place where depending on the origin of the shipment they hold it for a certain length of time. It may help narrow down where the package came from if you do your math!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

A large amount of packages are returned to the Killbarrick mail centre.They can spend up to three weeks in this centre before they are returned to sender.If you were not expecting something it makes it strange as to what it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ahh, I'm not too worried. It wasn't something I'd ordered, I've checked my history on amazon and ebay which are pretty much the only physical medium sites I use, just in case it might have been an order I forgot about.
    Curiosity is killing me, I'll try Kilbarrack just in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement