Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.. Problem with new house rental

Options
  • 18-08-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Just got the keys to our new place yesterday morning & started moving today but there is a massive problem - the neighbour to one side of us!!!!!! Now when I initially enquired about the property & asked for an evening viewing I was told by the estate agent that they only do viewings up to 5pm ( should have rang alarm bells!!! ) Picked keys up early yest morning...

So roll out today & late afternoon , unbelievable language, shouting & fighting coming from the house next door so much so I had to bring my LO inside the house!!- my DH was then approached by one of our " new neighbours " saying we had no idea what we are in for, guy living in the house is a chronic alcoholic, has similar friends over every day, constant fights & trouble, frequent visits from the police, has been in & out of prison! Now this is not what I signed up for & now not happy about the kids playing out the front etc & am worried about late night parties & noise...

Do I have a leg to stand on if it is a situation that is disrupting the kids aswell as us?? Should this not have pointed out to us by the Estate agent??:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

marley123 wrote: »
    Just got the keys to our new place yesterday morning & started moving today but there is a massive problem - the neighbour to one side of us!!!!!! Now when I initially enquired about the property & asked for an evening viewing I was told by the estate agent that they only do viewings up to 5pm ( should have rang alarm bells!!! ) Picked keys up early yest morning...

So roll out today & late afternoon , unbelievable language, shouting & fighting coming from the house next door so much so I had to bring my LO inside the house!!- my DH was then approached by one of our " new neighbours " saying we had no idea what we are in for, guy living in the house is a chronic alcoholic, has similar friends over every day, constant fights & trouble, frequent visits from the police, has been in & out of prison! Now this is not what I signed up for & now not happy about the kids playing out the front etc & am worried about late night parties & noise...

Do I have a leg to stand on if it is a situation that is disrupting the kids aswell as us?? Should this not have pointed out to us by the Estate agent??:mad:

Lock up yo daughter!

Maybe the Guards?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LO, DH?
    Totally aside from your query- please quit using text speak- I for one haven't got a clue what you mean with these abreviations.

With respect of vacating the property- you have a right to do so- by giving statutory notice- while within the first 6 months (28 days).

If you've signed a lease- you may be requested to sublet the lease by the landlord- which in the case of an issue like the neighbour, you'd have a legitimate reason to fight.

Unfortunately- if you've signed a lease- totally aside from your protection as a tenant- you have a civil contract with the landlord, which he/she can seek to enforce as a civil matter.

If I were you- I'd seek the advice of Threshold and/or Citizens Advice- give the 28 days notice, and follow the letter of the law in vacating the property- so as not to get entangled in the term specified in the Fixed Term Lease.

Regardless of the issue with the neighbour, your first concern has to be for your own family- and getting them into a safer environment- you need to figure how to do this without leaving yourself open under the fixed term lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Is the neighbour a tenant. If so there is a procedure to contact his landlord and seek to have him evicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

If it is a fixed term lease ( ie is 12 months or has an lease expiry date ) then you are tied in for the fixed term... if you are to vacate early you can at least expect to loose your deposit.

If it is a Part 4 or month to month lease, you can give 30 days notice and leave with your deposit.

If you stay, the only way you can resolve the matter is by taking action against your neighbour or your neighbour's landlord through the Gardai, the PRTB, the Department of the Environment. Going by what your other neighbour has said, he is used to the Gardai and it doesn't stop him... If you like mental torture and bureaucracy go the other two routes...

My advise is to leave and thank your lucky stars you don't own the place.

So sorry, just occurred to me... the 'new house rental' in the thread... is that you or the neighbour. ??:eek:

If you bought the house you are now in, forget I mentioned mental torture and bureaucracy... the full power of our state agencies are at your disposal and you should begin keeping a log of the disturbances immediately :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

mebird, we are only renting:) ( thank god )

We have just moved in - moving out so soon after we have just moved in is not an option with 2 young kids plus our LO is starting School nearby in 2 wks! & tbh can't afford to be a couple of grand out of pocked for the moment...

Have been told "he is harmless" but just a roudy chronic alcoholic..

( the area we have moved to is fab - appart from this bloody neighbour - he inherited the house when his mum died apparently )

We will have to see how things go, I know my other half will go knocking on his door if any trouble

Phew... least it is not a life sentence... but I understand your reluctance to move.

You can rule out any compensation or action from the estate agent ...or PRTB ( as he owns his house ). Dept of Env... see earlier bureaucracy quip.

So it is down to appealing to his social conscience, which will prob work when he is sober but not after he has drunk the bath.

Advertisement