Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant places

• 18-08-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just saw this. I have a few questions.

Do I have to apply for it?

What is it based on? Points or random pick?

What are things that would go up.

I didn't get any of my choices unfortunately (only got 305)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No you don't have to apply for it.

The vacant places list is just that. It is a list of courses in third level colleges around the country which will not be filled through the regular CAO system. E.g. if there is a degree in Accounting in GMIT that had 40 places and only 25 people in the whole country put in on the CAO form (in any position on the list, doesn't have to be first), this means that no matter how many rounds of offers takes place, the course won't be filled. So the course is advertised as having vacant places.

If you see a course on the vacant place list and you meet the requirements of the course, you can apply for it through the CAO either by amending your existing application to include one of these courses or if you haven't applied to the CAO at all, you can make a new application next week. If you meet the requirements of the course you will be offered a place.

The points you got will come into play if say taking the example above there are 15 vacant places left in the GMIT course and 20 people read the vacant notice list apply. If all 20 meet requirements then they will be listed by points and the top 15 would get places. However this scenario is highly unlikely and generally these vacant places are awarded on a first come first serve basis.

So have a look at the list next week if you don't get any offers and you might see something that you would like to do on it. Many of these courses have low points simply because they have so few applicants. Don't be put off by the low points, it is no indication of what the course will be like, it's simply telling you that it wasn't a popular choice application wise.

Most of the vacant places will be in the Institutes of Technology, mainly on Level 6 and 7 courses as many apply for Level 8 courses and the equivalent Level 6/7 course and take the Level 8 when offered both. You can often progress to Level 8 when you have completed Level 6/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

What are common vacancies in NUIG?

Also as I didn't get the points for anything I wanted, si would I be able to get vacant course I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Don't know, where did you see that?
    Also as I didn't get the points for anything I wanted, si would I be able to get vacant course I want.

If you meet the course requirements, then yes. But say, if you got a D3 in maths and the course you want to apply for on the vacant place list requires a B3 then you wouldn't be accepted.

If it's a course in an IT, most of them usually require 5 passes in the LC at higher or Ordinary Level to include Maths and either English or Irish. A few of them will have requirements specific to the course.

Don't know, where did you see that?

No, I was wondering in the past what were the most common that put up over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Threader13

Are you able to get a place in a vacant course if you don't meet the requirements?

Threader13 wrote: »
    Are you able to get a place in a vacant course if you don't meet the requirements?

No you can't I read up on that sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Most of the type of courses that are vacant tend to be those of little interest to most people/are highly specific. I think I replied to one of your threads yesterday declan and if I remember rightly you are looking for science in NUIG. If that is the case, it is highly unlikely that science, no matter where, would have vacant places...

Most of the type of courses that are vacant tend to be those of little interest to most people/are highly specific. I think I replied to one of your threads yesterday declan and if I remember rightly you are looking for science in NUIG. If that is the case, it is highly unlikely that science, no matter where, would have vacant places...

Computer science but ya thats what I though.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Most of the vacant places will be in the Institutes of Technology, mainly on Level 6 and 7 courses as many apply for Level 8 courses and the equivalent Level 6/7 course and take the Level 8 when offered both. You can often progress to Level 8 when you have completed Level 6/7.
    My memory of last year is that about half were from places like Griffith and DBS.
    Arts through Irish is the only NUIG one I remember from last year, there may have been one or two more. NUIG definitely doesn't tend to have many courses on the list; as someone said, I wouldn't expect to see science on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

When offers for vacan places come out? After 2nd round offers?

Advertisement