Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lone Ranger film (Johnny Depp)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Saw it last night and thought it was solid entertainment. A bit long winded but definitely worth a watch and not deserving of the harsh criticism directed at it.

I don't understand it at all, it's a mess, some of the humour is very flat and there's some weird editing choices but I enjoyed it more than most of the other summer flicks, it's absolutely beautiful looking too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tons of references to classic westerns too, both in the visuals and the music.
    Nice physical slapstick from Depp in the mode of 1920's silent era stars, Hammer was every bit the classic hero too.
    The plot was ripped from Once Upon a Time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I really want to see this but can't :(

Will have to wait for an at home release, loved the Lone Ranger as a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

My m8t went to see this and he said him and his woman walked out after 50mins or so. It was a total waist of money and that johnny depp played tonto just like Capt jack sparrow!

So save your money people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

deadeye187 wrote: »
    My m8t went to see this and he said him and his woman walked out after 50mins or so. It was a total waist of money and that johnny depp played tonto just like Capt jack sparrow!

So save your money people!

You're urging people to avoid the movie based on what your friend said? :rolleyes:

You're urging people to avoid the movie based on what your friend said? :rolleyes:

Am ya, he is a movie critic!

so i`d say he is better qualified more than anyone on here!....

Freelance movie critic ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely everybody is a freelance movie critic

surely everybody is a freelance movie critic

Thats the joke, man!

catch on much?

Metacritic say it is a load of c*ap

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/lone-ranger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Went to see this myself on Wednesday. Sitting at home bored and fancied the cinema. My missus wanted to see it because she likes Johnny Depp. I really wasn't bothered after all the mediocre reviews.

Bleedin hell, I'm glad I went. I've head people saying the plot is a mess. It's not, or at least it was simple enough for me and my other half to understand. Another complaint is that it's too long. It's long but we were never bored. The ending sequence was over the top but it was fun. All through the movie there were plenty of funny bits and lots of action.

On Wednesday night the cinema (in Swords) was reasonably full. I think it's getting some legs because of word of mouth.

Generally the type of film I go to see in the cinema are big blockbuster action movies. I saw Iron Man 3 earlier on this year. I found The Lone Ranger funnier, with way more action and way less boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Metacritic say it is a load of c*ap

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/lone-ranger

You could always go see it yourself? I know a few people who have and only one disliked it, its not perfect, far from it, but its far better than the critics are making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Am ya, he is a movie critic!

so i`d say he is better qualified more than anyone on here!....

Freelance movie critic ;)

Im also a movie critic,for an actual publication, and i thought the lone ranger was one of the best blockbusters of the year. big daft fun, visually stunning, plentg of laughs, perfect popcorn movie. as for depp, people are just being lazy by saying he's jack sparrow in a different costume. Different character and different performancea. there were similarities, sure, bit nothing he did didnt work. it all auited the character and the film perfectly. i even enjoyed armie hammers performance. great craic all round and well worth seeing. id also have my concerns about a film reviewer who sees fit to pass judgement on something he saw less than half of.

krudler wrote: »
    You could always go see it yourself? I know a few people who have and only one disliked it, its not perfect, far from it, but its far better than the critics are making it out to be.

I dunno man I thought it was really dire stuff. The humour was predictable and just not funny at all. A goofy lone ranger. I too only lasted an hour. I knew there would be Rossini's score coming somewhere in the film which is one of my favourite tunes of all time, but the movie was so bad I couldn't even manage to sit and wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Saw this on Friday, enjoyed it for the most part, laughed out loud a lot of times, it did dip a little towards the latter part of the movie and it could have been 20-30 mins shorter. Still though, well worth seeing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

This is actually quite a good film despite all the bad reviews its got. Id definitely recommend it and it didnt feel that long either. Just good fun all round and some good humour too.

• Advertisement

With this leaving theaters tomorrow I thought that it was about time I went to see the film and caught a mid afternoon showing earlier today. I'm genuinely shocked by just how much people seem to hate the film as I found it to be one of the more enjoyable blockbusters in quite some time.

Granted, it's way, way too long and could easily lose 45 minutes. There's long spells of the film where absolutely nothing of note occurs. Sure there's some stunning vistas to look upon but you could really lose some of the comedic moments, as while funny as they were they simply felt tacked on.

I think that for many, the stories behind the film became far more interesting than the finished film which is why so many critics slated the film. Reading some of the reviews and there's more time spent on the behind the scenes turmoil than what made it on screen and that's a shame as there's a lot to like here.

The Lone Ranger is a loving homage to all the great westerns. It references so many greats through locations, lines of dialogue and best of all the score which has nods to so many greats. Visually it's spectacular and I don't think we'll see a better looking film this year. The set pieces were brilliantly handled and the final train shoot out is going to be remembered as a classic. It's just incredibly thrilling and kinda makes you want to shoot "Yee Haw" at the top of your lungs. I can see a lot of critics going back and reevaluating the film in years to come and it really is a shame that it's been such a flop as I would love to see a sequel aswell as a resurgence in the genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really dig the soundtrack for this, but the inspiration for the Ride/Home track is driving me mad. It’s obviously John Barry but what film? It sounds a lot like Dances with Wolves but Barry was no stranger to borrowing from himself. Any ideas?

Also, there’s a particular cue in the film featuring trumpets that I’m trying to find on the official soundtrack. It’s an homage/rip-off of Morricone's Once Upon in the West score when Frank is riding to meet Harmonica at the end. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

I quite enjoyed this film. Usually when something has v. negative advance press there's something in it but I think this film was no worse than a lot of other films I've seen recently. Think it was very unfairly reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I saw it there, but only in segments which messed up the pacing. I thought the last 25 mins were excellent but before it I found it to be disjointed and plodding, probably attributable to way in which I watched it. Depp put in a great performance and Helena Bonham Carter was enthralling, even though she's in Burton films she is my favourite actress. The music at the end also was a brilliant choice, cant beat the classics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bump as I saw this on the telly last night.

I went into it thinking it would be crap because of the pasting it got by critics when it came out and being a high-profile box-office flop. Only watched it 'cause my GF suggested and I'm a fan of Westerns.

I have to say, I enjoyed it. It is what it is. I think they made a very good action film when you consider that the main character lives by a code of not killing people, only shooting to disarm. Depp is the standout character but I watched it in Spanish so I reckon I missed out a bit. There is some cringey humour but it is a Disney film and the character is aimed at kids so it's to be expected.

Visually, it was a treat. The two train scenes were well shot, if a bit over the top. The Comanche raid was also really well done, if not really depressing. I loved the landscapes and the quality of the picture. It had a good Western feel to it.

There's only two problems I have with it.

Firstly, the story. It starts and ends with a bang but drags a lot after
    the brother dies
    . It also seems to find new ways to just keep repeating the same thing
    the Lone Ranger and/or Tonto saving the other
    . I also felt the whole Comanche involvement could have been extended a bit more to make it interesting. Especially after the drag before it, they then went very quickly through the Comanches. Though, Tonto's backstory was very good and I did like how they developed the Lone Ranger character. He was pretty clueless at the start but you could actually see a lot of development on his part.

My second problem is that Armie Hammer wasn't that good as the Lone Ranger. It seemed like a bit of an odd fit for him. Depp, Wilkinson and HBC were all very well cast but I think they needed someone a bit more charismatic for the main role. He played it very awkwardly, which at the start was grand but even towards the end, he wasn't really playing him with a lot of confidence I felt and that to me would be a big part of being the Lone Ranger.

In short, it was a good pic. It's not going to be a blockbuster but if you switch off a bit and accept it for what it is, a family-friendly Disney Western, then it fits the bill. Definitely doesn't deserve the stick it got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Finally watched this too last night, Netflix has been suggesting it for the last few weeks and I finally relented.

I really, really enjoyed it, it's a tad overlong, the kid is annoying and I can't seem to take the main actress Wilson seriously after Luther where she was mad!!
    It's hard not to get excited when the William Tell overture kicks in at the final scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Dont get the hate this got either!! i thought it was solid enough effort and as others said it looked stunning. No where near as bad as it was made out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Having the narrative be told by a future Tonto was ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Advertisement