Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Dry Food

• 18-08-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Anybody know any good products to keep dry food as fresh as possible. Need an air tight container that can hold 15kg? Any pet stores or pet online shops that sell good containers? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A black rubbish bin made for ashes with a lid that clips down is what I use for horse feed. It's pretty air tight, water tight and rodent proof. Much more robust and longer lasting than anything manufactured with the job in mind, much less expensive as well. Available from farm supply shops, DIY stores, garden centres etc.

Well if you have the space for it that is, and don't mind its appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

A black rubbish bin made for ashes with a lid that clips down is what I use for horse feed. It's pretty air tight, water tight and rodent proof. Much more robust and longer lasting than anything manufactured with the job in mind, much less expensive as well. Available from farm supply shops, DIY stores, garden centres etc.

Well if you have the space for it that is, and don't mind its appearance!

Thank you I will look into them :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Karma25 wrote: »
    Thank you I will look into them :)

*ahem*:D
    I've managed to blag 2 Royal Canin food bins and one Burns food bin at expos, shows etc, and have even turned down food bins because I've enough now! I think on zooplus they have food bin offers from time to time? So you may be able to get yourself a grand freebie of you hold tight, or schmooze the reps at shows:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The Husse website has feed bins on it, I don't know if you have to buy the food to get them, will have a look and let you know. Think they are 15kg bins.

there's a link, but it doesn't say size, could ring and ask.
    http://www.husse.ie/husse-accessories/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Atlantic Homecare sell really good, plastic, food storage bins - they have a soft, rubbery seal around the lid which keeps it airtight, the lid can come off to accommodate filling, it has a scoop (we don't use this, but still!) and they do lots of different sizes (our one fits a 15kg bag with a squeeze). The food can be put in loose or in its own bag. Not too expensive either!

www.dogfooddirect.ie sell storage boxes designed to fit into a press that claims to hold 15kg, worth a look ---> http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/keep-fresh-15kg-compact-dogfood-storage-box/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

We also use one of the ash bins for storing our Rottweiler's dry food, and find it great. They are relatively cheap. Also, Maxi Zoo do good storage containers, more expensive but look nice if you are keeping them inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

www.dogfooddirect.ie sell storage boxes designed to fit into a press that claims to hold 15kg, worth a look ---> http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/keep-fresh-15kg-compact-dogfood-storage-box/

I use a plastic box from Ikea with clips to hold the lid tightly in place for our 7.5kg bag of food and it's pretty big - I doubt it'd fit in one of the presses let alone one twice the size!

The canvas bag things like this - aren't airtight and leave a lovely aroma of dog food in the room!:rolleyes::D I have the 25kg one at home in the donation pile so if anyone wants it let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi tk123

do you still have that 25kgs canva bag for dog food ? was looking at these on zooplus, dont mind the flavour escaping as food is kept in the shed anyway ... cheers

falabo wrote: »
    hi tk123

do you still have that 25kgs canva bag for dog food ? was looking at these on zooplus, dont mind the flavour escaping as food is kept in the shed anyway ... cheers

Yep still have it - it's yours if you want it! I'm based in Dublin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Atlantic Homecare sell really good, plastic, food storage bins - they have a soft, rubbery seal around the lid which keeps it airtight, the lid can come off to accommodate filling, it has a scoop (we don't use this, but still!) and they do lots of different sizes (our one fits a 15kg bag with a squeeze). The food can be put in loose or in its own bag. Not too expensive either!

Thanks bought this morning. Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I got a plastic container free with a 15kg bag of royal canin with like a sealed top on it Got it about 3 yrs ago its the job! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have the Royal Canin food bin as well, they were in a pet shop a few years ago giving them away free with royal canin I got two free pink ones and one royal canin white one. Can't remember if the pink ones were gotten from the pet shop or the white ones but they all came free anyway.

One of those black bins would work too though.
    Just make sure everytime you have to refill give it a good wash and dry out first.

I have the white royal canin for years, the picture of the dogs on it only fell off recently the only downside is it holds just under the 15kgs it holds about 12 or 13kgs so looking in to getting a different one. Some come in different shapes. I built the utility cupboards to fit the bin I think a square shaped one would be more practical though.
    Hardware shops sell fancy ones they look nice but no really any point when you can get them for free elsewhere.

I'm not sure abou canvassy type ones not sure how you'd clean them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

hi tk123

Be careful with the canvas bag's, you might attract mice or rats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi rubygirl

just wondering if you think that leaving the food in its original packaging in the shed could aslo attract mice and rats ? (I seal it the best I can obviously)

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

hi rubygirl

just wondering if you think that leaving the food in its original packaging in the shed could aslo attract mice and rats ? (I seal it the best I can obviously)

cheers

I'd say most definitely, well with the bags I get they are paper so mice or rats would make short work of them. We had grass seed in the shed that mice got into so I'd say lovely smelly dog food would be a delicacy for them! :D

Would dog food really go off? I used to get 2 kg bags so they weren't in storage long but I got a 15kg bag recently and split it with a friend so I have 7.5kg still kept in the orginal bag (whites paper bag, similar to what burns and james wellbeloved is packed in) in the spare room. It should last about 3 months, would dry food really go off in this time? Maybe I should keep an eye out for a bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

hi rubygirl

cheers

It would attract them to be honest, I would get one of those black bins from woodies or if the bags are smaller ones, the plastic ones they sell for storage would do just as good, something like this.

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=11198&loc=P&catid=9.12.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

hi rubygirl

cheers

The original packaging will attract vermin (nasty little buggers). My parents keep their dog food bag (they only have one dog so would have a 7.5 kg bag) in the utility room, one morning went in to feed the dog and he was eating the food out of a big hole in the bottom of the bag made by mice eek.gif Bag of food was thrown out and a new one bought, and I gave them an old James Wellbeloved food bin I had from years ago (think I get it free at the time!). No problems since.
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    It should last about 3 months, would dry food really go off in this time? Maybe I should keep an eye out for a bin.

3 months is quite a while for food to be open. The fats in it would go rancid (yuck!) and the nutritional quality would be compromised in that amount of time. I find the food changes colour if left out for a long period, so something must be happening to it! Keeping it in an airtight container would prolong the life of the open food and keep it tasty fresh! Storing it in a cool, dry place is also a plus on keeping it fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Got a dry food bin in Argos today.

114-8707453SPA76UC956665M.jpg

It was 34.99 comes with a large scoop inside. Is on wheels and fully sealed.

Link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got the one from dogfooddirect, bit annoying as it doesn't hold 15kg as advertised. It was free though :D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I got the one from dogfooddirect, bit annoying as it doesn't hold 15kg as advertised. It was free though :D

It depends on the food I reckon. A 7.5kg bag of Luath would almost fill our Ikea box (same size as the dog food direct one) but a 7kg back of RC only half filled it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

tk123 wrote: »
    It depends on the food I reckon. A 7.5kg bag of Luath would almost fill our Ikea box (same size as the dog food direct one) but a 7kg back of RC only half filled it!

Oh ya I know but they did give it free with 15kg of Luath and said it would fit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

what about for cats? It's annoying not to be able to buy the better value packs because the cats won't eat it after it's been stored for more than about a week. I was putting it in a plastic tub - no good, though it's better if I open the bag with the tiniest hole possible, tip out half into the container, and parcel tape the bag back up again.
    I wonder if the plastic leaves a taste, or it's just the air getting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Woodies have a smaller version of one I posted above. Its about a 2kg box I reckon. Was in a hurry so didnt get to look at it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Got this last week when I was buying my fella select gold. Cant remember how much the girl said it was, but she gave it to me for free when I was buying the 15kg bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

garkane wrote: »
    Got this last week when I was buying my fella select gold. Cant remember how much the girl said it was, but she gave it to me for free when I was buying the 15kg bag.

Maxi Zoo in Finglas are giving this bin with the 15kg bag of select gold. The bin is sold at 15 euro, if purchased on its own. The sales guy gave it to me for 9 euro as i bought other stuff. It holds 15kg of food easily.

Advertisement