Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunaras/Rahoon - Safe Area?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm leaving home (New York, as you may have guessed) for the first time, and spending the 1st semester of my sophomore year of college at NUIG.

I am living in Dunaras Village and, until I establish a sort of friendly group, I assume I will be walking alone to do shopping and get to know the area/city.

I will be 19 years in November, and I go into Manhattan often with my friends, but my parents are worried about the area I will be living in abroad since I will be alone. Both my parents grew up in the South Bronx here in NY (translation: very bad area) so they can't help but be cautious about where I go and the safety aspect of where I'm living, especially my first time away from home.

The posts I read on this board seemed to be split between "that area is dodgy" and "it's perfectly fine". I do apologize for making another thread, but some more recent responses would be greatly appreciated.

So, from those who know the Dunaras/Rahoon area, can my parents stop worrying (and, subsequently, make me stop worrying)? Is there a negative reputation, and if so, should one pay it any attention?

thanks!
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

bbnewyork wrote: »
    I'm leaving home (New York, as you may have guessed) for the first time, and spending the 1st semester of my sophomore year of college at NUIG.

I am living in Dunaras Village and, until I establish a sort of friendly group, I assume I will be walking alone to do shopping and get to know the area/city.

I will be 19 years in November, and I go into Manhattan often with my friends, but my parents are worried about the area I will be living in abroad since I will be alone. Both my parents grew up in the South Bronx here in NY (translation: very bad area) so they can't help but be cautious about where I go and the safety aspect of where I'm living, especially my first time away from home.

The posts I read on this board seemed to be split between "that area is dodgy" and "it's perfectly fine". I do apologize for making another thread, but some more recent responses would be greatly appreciated.

So, from those who know the Dunaras/Rahoon area, can my parents stop worrying (and, subsequently, make me stop worrying)? Is there a negative reputation, and if so, should one pay it any attention?

thanks!
    Chris

Hi Chris welcome you are going to have a blast in NUI thats for sure! dunaras and rahoon are fine but they have gone downhill a bit since all the Brazillians moved in but apart from that its all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

There has been a thread on this before.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68088338

As for Galway overall, it's probably the safest city in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The area is totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

As the poster above said, Galway is probably the safest city in Ireland, in fact it's more like a small friendly town than a city. Rahoon is also a fairly reasonable area too so you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway is the Rhode Island of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 focuslfc

Welcome to Galway! Dunaras is fine it is on the main road so you wont have to go near any other area to get to it. There is a security guard on site at night time(maybe during the day aswell not sure). I live 5 mins from Dunaras and i would say you wont have any trouble there. Just 5-10 min walk along the main road there is a supermarket. Also you prob know there is a shuttle bus to and from the college so use that until you get familiar with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP - but its a related question. Anybody know when the street lights on the Seamus Quirke/Bishop O Donnell Rd near Dunaras will be switched back on? I presume its due to the road works at the minute that the street lights are switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Do you have any other choices of places to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I lived in Dunaras last yr.. Its fine safety wise. International students get the nicest flats too. Also complain as soon a **** happens e.g our house was infested with bugs.. Took them ages to get sorted.. Exterminator was out 3 times and there was still bugs MEGA EWWW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbnewyork

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Do you have any other choices of places to live?

Why do you ask?

I'm at NUIG for only one semester so Dunaras was only one of two living options given to me. As of this moment, I wouldn't change accommodation unless really in a dire situation. If there was some amazing circumstance where I really needed to move I would just stay in a hotel until I found a more permanent place. That isn't happening though. I'll be living at Dunaras, I just wanted some background info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbnewyork

MissMoppet wrote: »
    I lived in Dunaras last yr.. Its fine safety wise. International students get the nicest flats too. Also complain as soon a **** happens e.g our house was infested with bugs.. Took them ages to get sorted.. Exterminator was out 3 times and there was still bugs MEGA EWWW.

Nice that it's safe, but - infested with bugs? Gross. I'll be sure to complain immediately if there's any sort of problem so it gets sorted out asap - thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Dunaras has good bits and bad.

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,crap internet,Drafty,FAR AWAY FROM UNI, have to get taxis after night out, can be noisy, hard to get replies from the office, bus runs at awkward times.

Positives - Good at matching roomates, will make friends,nice security,near to cheap offy, really really comfy beds, big kitchens, bus to uni, Bike sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

ciano1 wrote: »
    As for Galway overall, it's probably the safest city in Ireland!

Apart from the bodies in the freezers, the guys with rape kits in their vans, the weirdos near the railway tracks, the knifers etc... :rolleyes: I know, I know, those were isolated incidents but just sayin' like. You only have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Seriously though, it's safe, as long as you keep safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement