Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed please (rental query)

Options
  • 18-08-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

I am going to look at a property tomorrow for a second viewing and if I like it I would like to take it, the agent said I can pay half the deposit tomorrow and the balance on the day I move in (along with one months rent in advance)

How should I go about handing over the deposit, not keen on giving the agent/landlord cash in case they do a runner or change their mind!

I was thinking if I pay say 200euro to hold the property until move in date (1st of sept) and pay 900euro (+200holding) & the full rent in advance that would be okay??

I am sorry for crazy post just new to the rental market and don't want to mess it up without knowing where I stand..

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Hi,

I am going to look at a property tomorrow for a second viewing and if I like it I would like to take it, the agent said I can pay half the deposit tomorrow and the balance on the day I move in (along with one months rent in advance)

How should I go about handing over the deposit, not keen on giving the agent/landlord cash in case they do a runner or change their mind!

I was thinking if I pay say 200euro to hold the property until move in date (1st of sept) and pay 900euro (+200holding) & the full rent in advance that would be okay??

I am sorry for crazy post just new to the rental market and don't want to mess it up without knowing where I stand..

Thank you!

With the way things are the shoe is on the other foot, DONT let the estate agent shower of ***** screw you, make sure he does it on your terms only and ones your happy with, and who the **** do they think they are charging that you should demand a discount!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

thanks for the advice,

the property is really nice and I am happy with the area. I will however neg the rent and make sure i get what I want :)

Just as a side, the place I am in now at the moment I paid deposit (500) & rent in advance (500) on the 1st of july, does that mean I still have to pay rent on the 31st of august, the day I am supposed to move out??

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: 

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

thanks for the advice,

the property is really nice and I am happy with the area. I will however neg the rent and make sure i get what I want :)

Just as a side, the place I am in now at the moment I paid deposit (500) & rent in advance (500) on the 1st of july, does that mean I still have to pay rent on the 31st of august, the day I am supposed to move out??

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: 

Damn right negotiate the hell out of him take those fecking agents for every penny!! say they can take it or leave it!!! no dont pay any more rent, if you do make sure you nick everything you can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Damn right negotiate the hell out of him take those fecking agents for every penny!! say they can take it or leave it!!! no dont pay any more rent, if you do make sure you nick everything you can

I don't care whether its pure rhetoric or not.
    Have a 1 week ban for advocating 'make sure you nick everything you can'

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If you paid rent a month in advance, then no, you don't have to pay any rent on the day you move out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

I paid deposit (500) & rent in advance (500) on the 1st of july, does that mean I still have to pay rent on the 31st of august, the day I am supposed to move out??

Presumably you would have paid rent on 1st August, too?

-If not, then you are already one month late (you have effectively eaten up your deposit so will not get any money back).
    -If you did, then no - you do not have to pay on the 31st August and you can expect to receive your deposit back, provided you have not broken the lease or done damage over and above general wear and tear.

Advertisement