Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

protog777 wrote: »
    Canon

CPL Filter 58mm

1100D with 18-55mm Canon Lens

The filter is stuck on the lens and it won't come off. I have tried using a filter wrench but it still wont budge.

Any suggestions? Thanks, protog777

If you have used a lens wrench to no avail then I could remove it safely for you but the filter may be damaged in the process if other solutions fail.
    Is the filter more valuable than the lens may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

If you have used a lens wrench to no avail then I could remove it safely for you but the filter may be damaged in the process if other solutions fail.
    Is the filter more valuable than the lens may I ask?

no, the filter is less valuable then the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hey Leo,

I'd be happy to have a look at the body and lens for you. I have an idea about the body at least as I have seen drop damaged 40Ds mirror lever pop out of place...in saying that, error 99 is a broad spectrum error so if it isn't that I have diagnostic gear.

I would have to have a look at the lens as there could be a few things causing no AF but it sounds like something bend or misaligned.

PM me if you would like?

Be in touch midweek. Thanks

protog777 wrote: »
    no, the filter is less valuable then the lens.
    PM me and I will arrange to have a look for you. better to know which is less valuable to prevent damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

PM me and I will arrange to have a look for you. better to know which is less valuable to prevent damage.

thanks for that. I'll be in touch soon:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Hi

I have a Canon 16-35 2.8L mk1 which has both a non functioning manual focus ring, and, more recently the aperture blades have gotten stuck closed and as a result it's throwing errors on the camera.
    I dropped into Conns today and they told me Canon don't stock parts for this lens anymore and wont service it.
    Have I got an expensive paperweight now?

Thanks

iamnothim wrote: »
    Hi

I have a Canon 16-35 2.8L mk1 which has both a non functioning manual focus ring, and, more recently the aperture blades have gotten stuck closed and as a result it's throwing errors on the camera.
    I dropped into Conns today and they told me Canon don't stock parts for this lens anymore and wont service it.
    Have I got an expensive paperweight now?

Thanks

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

If you would like to PM me I could arrange to have a look for you. Sounds like diaphragm cable or positioning sensor failure (I had one in with a bad sensor that should detect the position of the aperture blades recently).
    The parts can be available elsewhere from places stocking them before they went out of service so you may not just have a paperweight thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Make: Canon

Item: Lens

Model: 24-70 f/2.8 L MkI (Non-IS)

Fault: Autofocus stopped working - tried manual focus also wasn't working. Tried changing focal length and it started jamming. Sounds like something rattling inside lens

When/how it happened: Happened yesterday, was shooting. Nothing traumatic happened to cause it, wasn't dropped or anything like that. Just spontaneous failure.

:(

Sounds like something has come loose alright. If you would like to PM me I could look at it for you?

Thankfully mechanical faults that happen without an impact generally don't need parts and provided you haven't forced the lens are usually a case of disassembly and proper reassembly while securing loose parts.

Model: 24-70 f/2.8 L MkI (Non-IS)

Fault: Autofocus stopped working - tried manual focus also wasn't working. Tried changing focal length and it started jamming. Sounds like something rattling inside lens

When/how it happened: Happened yesterday, was shooting. Nothing traumatic happened to cause it, wasn't dropped or anything like that. Just spontaneous failure.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 silwyth88

Make: Nikon

Model: 70-200mm VR II AF-S G ED NIKKOR

Fault: Focus ring is remarkably stiff, auto-focus is functional. Slight dint to the focus ring.

Whem/How it happened: Sadly I have no idea :( It was stored away for a month or two and when I took it out a week ago this was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 marzi

Hi. I have a sigma 18-200mm lens which was in a bag attached to my canon eos when it fell from a couple of feet. it seems the main ring that attaches the lens to the camera is now seperated from the lens body by 2 or 3mm . Its still working except the af/m switch its a little off line,the manual focus is very rough to turn and the auto focus only works when the lense is held tight to the camera. Is it repairable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Item: Body

Model: 450D

Fault: It's taking pictures in that the shutter is releasing but screen is showing up blank, it won't register what I'm looking at.

When/how it happened: It was clipped to my hiking bag with a clip I've been using for 18 months without any issues but it fell off and got itself a good knock against the ground. Pretty sure the lens that fell with it is broken too so I've tried it with another lens and the problem is as described above.

What sort of costs am I looking at here?

silwyth88 wrote: »

Model: 70-200mm VR II AF-S G ED NIKKOR

Fault: Focus ring is remarkably stiff, auto-focus is functional. Slight dint to the focus ring.

Whem/How it happened: Sadly I have no idea :( It was stored away for a month or two and when I took it out a week ago this was the case.

I would reckon the only problem is the extra friction caused by the dent in the focus ring. I am happy to take a look at it if you would like to PM me?

marzi wrote: »
    Hi. I have a sigma 18-200mm lens which was in a bag attached to my canon eos when it fell from a couple of feet. it seems the main ring that attaches the lens to the camera is now seperated from the lens body by 2 or 3mm . Its still working except the af/m switch its a little off line,the manual focus is very rough to turn and the auto focus only works when the lense is held tight to the camera. Is it repairable?
    Hi,
    Sounds like the mount has ripped off and possibly the manual focus assembly is either misaligned or damaged from the fall.
    I would have to have a look to see if it is repairable ecomomically but it should be. The AF/M switch being misaligned could also be causeing the stiff manual focus due to the way the linkage works, try to keep the lens all together so you don't risk ripping any of the thin flexible cables inside.
    PM me if you would like?

Teferi wrote: »

Model: 450D

Fault: It's taking pictures in that the shutter is releasing but screen is showing up blank, it won't register what I'm looking at.

When/how it happened: It was clipped to my hiking bag with a clip I've been using for 18 months without any issues but it fell off and got itself a good knock against the ground. Pretty sure the lens that fell with it is broken too so I've tried it with another lens and the problem is as described above.

What sort of costs am I looking at here?

Sorry to hear about that, sounds rather unlucky!

You may have caused damage to the shutter or mirror mechanisms if it is taking the photo but not displaying anything. I would hazard a guess that one of the curtains is not opening which sometimes wont cause an error and just take blank photos.

Impact damage is very unpredictable in nature and can cause minor to major faults so it isn't possible to give an idea of cost without looking at the camera.

PM me if you would like me to have a look at it and the lens for you.

I would reckon the only problem is the extra friction caused by the dent in the focus ring. I am happy to take a look at it if you would like to PM me?

I cant PM yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 guy with red beard

Model: D40

Fault: It won't power on. I've tried two different batteries but no luck. One repair centre told me it was "uneconomical to repair". I would still like an actual quote though to see if its feasible to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

Apologies if this has been mentioned loads previously but don't have time to trawl through the whole thread.

Need to get my cameras serviced and wondering where is best to get this done. I'm in Cork so if there's somewhere down this direction that'd be great.

Model: D40

Fault: It won't power on. I've tried two different batteries but no luck. One repair centre told me it was "uneconomical to repair". I would still like an actual quote though to see if its feasible to repair.

I'd be happy to have a look for you to see what is wrong if you would like to PM me?

fermoyboy wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned loads previously but don't have time to trawl through the whole thread.

Need to get my cameras serviced and wondering where is best to get this done. I'm in Cork so if there's somewhere down this direction that'd be great.

I am not aware of any repair/service places down that side of the country but if you want to PM me I can give you more details.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

silwyth88 of gmail variety of email.. Could you contact me regarding this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scunner1

Make: Pentax

Item: DSLR body / lens

Model: K-r

Fault: Camera will not switch on. Ring on lens has come loose and will not attach to body.

When/how it happened: Two years ago. Camera dropped on the floor and then would not switch back on. Also the lens attachment was damaged when it fell. I dug it out of the wardrobe yesterday and would like to try again to get it fixed. I brought it to a few places at the time and was told that getting Pentax repaired in Ireland is pretty much impossible. From what I'm told it needs a new circuit board, but I was told you just can't get spares for Pentax. Surely I could get one somewhere here in Ireland or maybe ebay if I knew exactly what to look for?
    As for the lens I don't know what the story is as nobody would even consider fixing the camera for me.
    Has anybody else had trouble with getting this make of camera fixed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

Model: EF 100-400

Fault: Autofocus does not work reliably. Sometimes it will work, other times you just hear a noise as if its trying but failing to focus. Switching between the two modes (1.8 - 6.5m, > 6.5 mm) sometimes seems to make a difference.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Artmedia

Hi. My cam fall from trypad and front part of samyang 16 mm lens is now moving couple of millimeters. It still focuses just when I move this part it I have to refocus. Is that possible to repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

make: canon
    item lens
    model: ef 18-135
    problem: somthing broken inside can hear it rattling and it catches zooming have to shake it to move it.
    no idea how it happened was never bumbed or dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all
    Canon 100 - 400 lens ,
    Will focus at 100 but not at 400 or in between,
    Anywhere I can get it fixed,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

Hi, i have a canon 350d with an error 99 showing, It appears to happen under 25 or so mm on an original 18-55 zoom lens.
    I've tried all the obvious, remove card, remove battery, clean contacts with eraser etc to no avail.
    Can it be repaired (i've seen you mention a cable worn or something)
    Also is the problem with the lens or camera as i see currys are doing a sigma 70-300mm lens for €139.
    Thanks Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Wondering if this is worth trying to repair or should I just buy a new lens?

Model: AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G (basic lens that came with camera)
    Fault: lens came apart (screws loose / damaged) where it attaches to the camera and the autofocus cable torn (I think it's that cable)
    When/how it happened: trying to detatch the lens on a balloon trip to switch to another...

Thanks,
    Fio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Supes

Model: 50mm 1.4

Fault: The focus ring is stuck and doesn't turn anymore. Ever come across this before? If so how much would it cost to repair and what sort of timeline would I be looking at to get it fixed please?

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement