Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best watch dog?

• 18-08-2011 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everybody I need to know which dog breed is a best watch dog breed

Boxer
    German Shepherd
    Rottweiler
    Bulldog
    Labrador

I have heard lot of German Shepherd of being the best but I didn't like hairy dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It not necessarily a breed thing, it depends more on the personality of the dog.
    I don't have any of those breeds, my dog is springer size and will go nuts at anyone that enters my property, but if I invite someone in he will sit on them for a cuddle. My guy would never touch anyone but does make the right noise.
    Many of the best guard dogs are Jack russell or terrier types in my opinion, I wouldn't enter where one of those was loose and making a noise.

Do you want a pet that will be a good watch dog, or do you want a guard dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Defo German Sheperd, no one will come close to my house with her! And they are so easy to train & very intelligent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

As a wireless fan, I once heard a burglar on Radio4 say that the only house he wouldn't burgle was one with a Jack Russell terrier inside. "Most dogs will bite" he said " but a Jack Russell keeps hanging on and won't let go"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I agree with Mymo. Our Cocker Spaniel will let you know if he sees someone coming in the front gate, but our Rottweiler is so relaxed if someone came in the back with a trailer he would say 'fellas, take what you like, just dont make any noise or touch my teddy'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 EvesBlogg

It can depend on the dogs personality but if you are getting a new dog or a pup you wont know. Depends also if you want a watch dog or a guard dog - most breeds make good enough watch dogs but the Alsatians and rottweilers will make the best guard dogs generally speaking. Though if Alsatians are too hairy you may also want to consider a boxer, I have been thinking of getting one myself for the same purpose - they are a good all rounder too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my GSD, well my sons, would more likely lick a person to death, thats if she could be bothered to wake up. my yorkie on the other hand is a defferent story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

EvesBlogg wrote: »
    It can depend on the dogs personality but if you are getting a new dog or a pup you wont know. Depends also if you want a watch dog or a guard dog - most breeds make good enough watch dogs but the Alsatians and rottweilers will make the best guard dogs generally speaking. Though if Alsatians are too hairy you may also want to consider a boxer, I have been thinking of getting one myself for the same purpose - they are a good all rounder too.
    Re. the shedding, either though the gsd has long hair i fi9nd a brush a day stops them shedding all over the place. ours never leaves hair around because of this. on the other hand my mate has boxers and her place is covered in hairs, they never stop shedding. she gives them a brush over everyday to try and stay on top of it but still u always walk out of there covered in little short hairs. they remind me of JRT in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Our family and cousins have boxers and they are as good as anything...They have a great personality and are great with kids but will bark like a loonatic whenever they hear anyone arriving to the gate...

The worst they might ever do to someone is actually lick them to death but that's besides the point really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Siberian Huskies are the world's best watch dogs.

They will watch the burglar take your TV, DVD player, stereo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

German Shepherd all the way :D although my Jack-Russel is a legend to bark haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

OP What exactly do you want this watch dog for? Will it be a pet also or is it purely for security purposes?

There are breeders who specifically breed lines of each dog who would have a higher drive to protect or watch over you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

My parents have had loads of dogs over the years. Lots of different breeds and cross breeds. The breed has nothing to do with how good a watch dog will be. At the moment, they have a scottish terrier cross who will make loads of noise when someone comes into the yard. He will not bite but he will stand his ground not letting them move. They also have a black German Shepard, that will sometimes bark, but will always circle the car/person at a little distance keeping an eye on them. Kinda of scary if you didnt know the dogs. One makes the noise and the other intimidates. Great combination but its their personalitys that make it good, not exactly breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Both my Lab and Rottie are pretty good watch dogs but you can definitely see that it comes more naturally for the rottie. Were as the lab only guards selectively (say with men only) the rottie is more consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's hard to say do you need a dog for just giving a bark or one that is trained to alert you. There's a bit of a difference and if it's a pet you want that will bark at intruders then you have to be careful you train the dog right so that it doesn't go nuts every time the door knocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The 2 JRTs in my house are the best watch dogs, no-one gets near the house without them alerting the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Most dogs can be trained to be a good watch dog. The breeds you have listed are more suited to guard dogs where you also want to intimidate any would be burglar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I believe Geese and Peacocks also make good watch animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A big yes for geese, my granny had them and some locals used to cut across her field to the pub for years, stopped straight away once the geese arrived, one guy even came around to complain and show my grandad his bruises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

Norwegian elkhounds are excellent watch dogs and great pets...however they do shed a lot...but once you hear an elkhounds bark you never forget it.
    As regards guard dogs elkies bark is def worse than their bite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

+2 for Geese, when I was a child a house down the road had a Guard-Goose in the garden and I used to actually have to cross the bloody road just to get past the house! They're terrifying!

But on the doggie front, I also vote JRT. They're very affectionate with people, they're too small to take food off the kitchen counter, and they are ever vigilant.

They're like bloody Gandalf - YOU SHALL NOT PAAAAASSS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭Worztron

What would be the best small guard/watch dog? A dog about the size of a Jack Russell Terrier?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Worztron wrote: »
    What would be the best small guard/watch dog? A dog about the size of a Jack Russell Terrier?

A Pomeranian, they were origionally breed for the job, well before Queen Victoria got her hands on them, they dont shed all year round like some people reported but do blow their caots once to twice a year, the postman was scarred to deliver letters to my house so that is my first hand experiance with them being good watch dogs.

A Pomeranian, they were origionally breed for the job, well before Queen Victoria got her hands on them, they dont shed all year round like some people reported but do blow their caots once to twice a year, the postman was scarred to deliver letters to my house so that is my first hand experiance with them being good watch dogs.

I'd rather opt for a short haired dog.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any terrier breed/small yappy type dog.

I assume now when you say small you don't want the dog to attack an intruder, just wake you up?

biko wrote: »
    Any terrier breed/small yappy type dog.

I assume now when you say small you don't want the dog to attack an intruder, just wake you up?

How about a Jack Russell Terrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

as you said Worztron a JRT is perfect!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Plus, JRT puppies are usually very easy to come by in dog rescues, so you're doing a good deed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

We have a black Labrador. He looks quite scary (granted he's on the plump side and that adds to his mean look) and we even got him a studded collar to complete his ensemble! NOBODY comes in our gate, (we had zero canvassers at our door for the election!) he has a big bark on him and he's quite intimidating. The same boy would lick you to death and often runs behind our legs if he hears anything strange.... but if it's a watchdog your looking for you can't go wrong with a black dog. Even on his walks people are wary of walking past him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Out of the list definitely the German shepherd but in general it would have to be the Belgian malinois. They a tough, strong, protective and intelligent but are difficult to train and not for novices. Need serious control or could be accidents with them. Like the GSD they can have long or short hair. Both breeds are the business though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

it really depends on where you live and what kind of dog you wants, if you have the space,two friends who are in the gardai swear by a JRT and a german sheppard , " the JRT to notice something is going on and the Sheppard to do something about it"

the bf has a JRT and up ontill six months ago she was even catching mice and birds so it wasnt just burglars who had to be careful:rolleyes:

Advertisement