Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever known anyone who was illiterate?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I've only ever encountered illiteracy a few times and even then it was never full illiteracy. One time in an internet café someone asked me how to spell "donedeal.ie". Other times I've seen how people spell their address, or other times they try to read something written down and have a terrible time. It must be awful to get to adulthood and not be able to read or write too well. My grandad left school at 12 but I'm pretty sure he could read and write then as well as he needed to in later life. The internet is becoming increasingly useful, pretty much necessary for lots of things, I dunno how someone who has low literacy skills copes nowadays especially.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Illiteracy must be such a nightmare for people on a day to day basis- you really don't realise how much you NEED to read until you're in a position where you can't. I recently moved abroad, and their script isn't the latin one we use, and if that wasn't confusing enough, they have a totally different script again for handwriting. I dropped off my camera to get the photos developed and when I came to collect them at the time specified, the guy had written a note on his door explaining something that I couldn't even translate. Waited around for 20 minutes feeling like a retard, too embarrassed to ask anyone passing by what it said, until the guy finally came back- ahhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If I have they have never admitted to it.

I have friends who aren't illiterate who have asked me to spell simpler things than donedeal.ie by the way so I wouldn't assume they were. Unless they asked you to read the wholewebsite for them, some people are bad with spelling but illiteracy is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A barmanager who always made us check deliveries were correct, do stocktakes, count the till's, write up the specials etc etc. After a while it was obvious he couldnt read or write but blustered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I don't know any illiterates, but I know several people who cannot spell the word 'lose' properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

It's much more massively common than you would think.

People are mortified ( sadly ) by their own illiteracy and are constantly coming up with ever more ingenious ways to make it go undetected.

extremely talented and intelligent people are massively hindered by it. it's crappy :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have a bit of experience with Travellers and they (particularly the men) have some serious illiteracy problems and many are unable to fill out forms etc.

One of them even said to me once 'what time is it there'? pointing at a clock.

It's difficult for them in a way but in another way it's a sort of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

With all the text speak floating around, I think the numbers will get higher in the next few years.
    Society is getting dumber.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I don't know any illiterates, but I know several people who cannot spell the word 'lose' properly

Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

yes i did and do. I was involved with the youth service for a while and got to know a lot of people.

Its amazing how they actually cope. Just because they are illiterate does not mean they dont understand everything for example. Men and women signs on toilets.

I knew this lad who use to pretned he was blind without his glasses and just turn to someone and say " excuse me could you please read that out to me i forgot my glasses"

Its amazing some of the intelligent copeing mechanisms...

This is the problem with illiteracy.... most people assume stupidity....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

My gf's ma is. Can't read or write, gets her daughter to write out everything for her, and can't even pronounce many words. "Jean Claude Van Damme" becomes "Jon vod kazzam".. So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Oh sh*t yeah I completely forgot, there was a woman who used to come into the shop where I used to work who would ask what stuff was and always used to say she forgot her glasses, sad really. Also practically every traveller I have met. One of them came up to me outside a shop once and asked me to explain the instructions on the back of his head lice shampoo to him lmfao he was a cu*t, hope he's not reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Both my parents are unfortunately, but they just get on with it. My dad is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met, and has always worked, so it hasn't hindered him that much tbh. I know it embarrassed them and still does but they don't wanna learn now, no matter how many times I've offered to teach them. As part of a college project, I researched how many people in my area couldn't read and/or write, and the figures worked out that every four in ten couldn't to some degree or another. This is in an inner city area of Dublin, so it is not as uncommon as we would think, it's just that a lot of them have high intelligence, and can mask it very easy! Tbh it really embarrassed me about my folks when I was younger, but they made sure that there was people to help me with homework/studying etc. Typing off my iPhone so sorry if there is any mistakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fago! wrote: »
    My gf's ma is. Can't read or write, gets her daughter to write out everything for her, and can't even pronounce many words. "Jean Claude Van Damme" becomes "Jon vod kazzam".. So sad.

Sounds more like severe dyslexia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Confab wrote: »

I most certainly will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Confab wrote: »

Nah it isn't, like it's not that she just can't spell, she can't read anything. she gets her daughter to read every letter that comes to the house, and hides it when i'm there "oh i misplaced me glasses, will you read this for me" and even when it's just from memory, "ah yeah tha' film wi morgan freeman was on the other day, shawshamp redenkem".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Gdhnanndggsbbabah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you ever known anyone who was illiterate?.
    Yes. An ex-father-in-law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

My nephew is illiterate. :( Then again, he is only two.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I was staying in a rehabilitation unit years ago and a man got talking to me and told me that he was ready to go home.He next said that he could'nt go because." i cant't read anything on buses or timetables."I never found out how he returned home.Collected i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

N.A.L.A. (National Adult Literacy Agency) produced a report in 2005 that stated that 25% of Irish people had some degree of difficulty with reading and writing.

http://www.nala.ie/catalog/nala-annual-report-2005

• Advertisement

Yeah it's na laughing matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 EvesBlogg

sometimes, I am...but i mange ok!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

There was a guy i knew in school in 5th year who could not read. He had a terrible stutter when trying to read, not your average stutter mind, he use to pronounce words like 'The' easily enough but when he came to some Big words he use to make what can only be described as a gasping for breath sounds as he tried to pronounce the word, it was the funniest sound ive ever heard and to this day still makes my chuckle when I thing about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My step father is teaching an adult literacy programme- he's working with a man in his early-mid sixties who has never been able to write. He can read just fine, but has made it to this stage in his life never being able to write.

What's more, he's kept this a secret from his children all this time. Only his wife knew. Since joining the course he's come on in leaps and bounds, and apparently he's like a new man. He's lately started being able to write cards, inc an anniversary one for his wife :o

Very proud of my step dad, he's probably getting just as much out of the experience as the man.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

afiqhajhaiuwyflaf P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Facebook.com

There's literally millions.

wat r dese cmmnts meen lolz?

A couple of lads on a GAA team I played for when I was younger were and had to deal with a guy in work who was once.

Needed him to fill out some forms so instead of the usual 'fill them out and send them back' I just met up with him and talked him through what they meant and he put an X in the appropriate places.

Was pretty nervous about it but he was a nice guy which made it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

I have a bit of experience with Travellers
    One of them even said to me once 'what time is it there'? pointing at a clock.

off topic i know , but my brother is very well read , well versed in history and politics , has a full drivers liscence but he can't read a clock :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes
    But managed to cope and always going on that he lost his glasses and could we read it for them.

It soon became obvious the real reason

If you know anyone constantly losing their glasses and looking for things to be read, a good chance this is what's going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Have you ever known anyone who was illiterate?

Yes, kind of. The mother of a childhood friend of mine.

I remember we went to his house after school before, and his mother had left a note for him. It read as follows:
    Dont fuget to fead de dahg

Obviously we know what she meant but c'mon.

Advertisement