Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dunfanaghy or fanad

Options
  • 18-08-2011 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

hi there
    headed to north donegal for weekend- anyone know if either if these 2 locations are good for newbies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

Head to Bundoran man, there's three beaches around varying in conditions depending on your level. For beginners there's Rossnowlagh and Streedagh although the latter doesn't always have waves. I guess your best bet is Rossnowlagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Around dunfanaghy there are some great beaches but you could be on your own so take care, watch out for rips. Don't know the names of them either sorry, see if there is a surf shop or school.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

both have surf schools in both locations!

Adventure One (Fanad) and Narosa or Jaws (Marble Hill/Dunfanaghy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Dun Fan should be more sheltered this weekend, so a better option, great little cafe in the village centre as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

lizgal wrote: »
    hi there
    headed to north donegal for weekend- anyone know if either if these 2 locations are good for newbies?

Dunfanaghy needs a big enough swell to get wave, it has been flat all summer, you have falcarragh which will usually have some kind of wave, but it is very unpredictable and usually messy to very messy and you are constantly getting pulled. Fanad i've only been a few times but a better bet, but then it could be flat. I'd head to bundoran for summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Narosa are a great crowd! surfed with them last year! nice bunch of people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

lamai wrote: »
    Dunfanaghy needs a big enough swell to get wave, it has been flat all summer, you have falcarragh which will usually have some kind of wave, but it is very unpredictable and usually messy to very messy and you are constantly getting pulled. Fanad i've only been a few times but a better bet, but then it could be flat. I'd head to bundoran for summer months.

And here's me thinking there was a big swell due on saturday:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

rodento wrote: »
    And here's me thinking there was a big swell due on saturday:rolleyes:

11.5ft with a westerly swell at its highest won't be big enough for Dunfanaghy.
    more than likely be tiny at that. fanad will be windy

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

killahoey and marble hill are very sheltered!

Advertisement