Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Town center aka Shannon Skycourt

• 18-08-2011 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the fall in customers in shannon skycourt?? I worked there for almost 9 years & in previous years it had been very busy, now more often than not it is very quite. So my questions are..... where is skycourt going wrong? What is missing from Skycourt or what would you like to see in there? Personally i think it is a shame to see so many good units going to waste.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A TK Maxx, PC World, and B&Q or Homebase would be nice. It would save me from having to drive to Limerick sure.

A shop like Asha in Dublin would also be nice. An Argos would be perfect there too.

Oh and of course if we are brainstorming here a nice sushi/yakatori place would really be nice. BRILLIANT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Apart from the fact that I don't shop in Shannon (don't live even near there) unless I have to go there for some other reasons, and apart from all the would-be-nice-shops (there once was talk that Debenhams would open a branch, and I'd like to have a Marks & Spencer and a large Boots). Oh, and a proper Sushi place!
    I think that people simply don't have the money to shop like mad anymore. And the workforce around Shannon isn't the same as before.

Ever heard of recession and unemployment?
    Shops are closing down everywhere, or complain about less customers. It's basically nothing to do with Shannon as such.

And Limerick is actually a nicer and naturally a more urban place to shop. Bigger choice, lots of small shops, a gorgeous market, cafés and restaurants ...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

CptSternn wrote: »
    A TK Maxx, PC World, and B&Q or Homebase would be nice. It would save me from having to drive to Limerick sure.

A shop like Asha in Dublin would also be nice. An Argos would be perfect there too.

Oh and of course if we are brainstorming here a nice sushi/yakatori place would really be nice. BRILLIANT!

all great ideas would love all these myself.

Carry wrote: »
    A
    Ever heard of recession and unemployment?

yes i lost my job in the shannon centre because of the recession. what i was trying to say is i think it is a shame that there isnt more in there because it has good potential.

thanks for your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BobLoblaw77

What's the new place like that opened in place of Tesco's? Sort of like an Irish version of LIDL.. Walked past it plenty of times, but couldn't be bothered going in.

Would love to see some of the shops mentioned above open, but as stated, it's unlikely given the way things are going. Not sure what the rents are like in Shannon, but I'm guessing it's more difficult for people to open up new shops.

• Advertisement

What's the new place like that opened in place of Tesco's? Sort of like an Irish version of LIDL.. Walked past it plenty of times, but couldn't be bothered going in.

Would love to see some of the shops mentioned above open, but as stated, it's unlikely given the way things are going. Not sure what the rents are like in Shannon, but I'm guessing it's more difficult for people to open up new shops.

by low is ok.... i got some liquid detergent there and found it good value but after that im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

cookie82 wrote: »
    So my questions are..... where is skycourt going wrong? What is missing from Skycourt or what would you like to see in there? Personally i think it is a shame to see so many good units going to waste.

I am working in Shannon but looking for rent to house or apt in Ennis.

Nothing in this town.I am afraid to walk in t.c at night time,I am here only

4 months.be honest if i wasnt working here I wouldt even thinking people r

living in this town..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 museologist

cookie82 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the fall in customers in shannon skycourt?? I worked there for almost 9 years & in previous years it had been very busy, now more often than not it is very quite. So my questions are..... where is skycourt going wrong? What is missing from Skycourt or what would you like to see in there? Personally i think it is a shame to see so many good units going to waste.

Its the recession. Retail centres in every town in Ireland is experiencing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

MONEY OR LACK THERE OF....

Oh, and a Guineys!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The rates in Skycourt are absolutely ridiculous, thats why nobody is opening up there.

Here is the main problem(s) with the current Skycourt, IMHO -

Half of the businesses there are take aways. Who drives across town for a take away when they offer a delivery service? Why spend petrol to go collect a Chinese, Indian, or pizza when they will bring it to my door? That leads me to the second issue, why give them any business at all when the restaurants and other shops they have are usually found closer to home?

Why drive all the way down to a market, bookmakers, off license, or other shop I visit regularly when there are other options closer to home? Or more importantly, with the super Tesco in Limerick in mind, if I do decide to drive why would I not just go the extra five minutes to somewhere that has a better selection with lower prices?

The pub there is nice but how exactly are you supposed to get there and get home without breaking the law? Taxis are dear so getting there and back sober seems to be the issue since it's not like there are many estates in walking distance.

The only businesses which will thrive in a venue such as this are ones that sell clothes, DIY, and other things people will drive to go purchase. As a poster said above, thanks to high rent and rates even these shops are suffering since it is pushing their prices higher than everywhere else.

It just seems convenience, prices, and selection seem to be issues with most if not all of the businesses there. All three issues are directly related to the biggest issue any business needs to address even before opening, LOCATION.

If they had a LUAS or some other handy public transportation system it would be thriving there, but we have nothing of the sort around here and anything these days that is outside of walking distance that doesn't offer something that makes me want to drive doesn't get my business, especially with so many alternatives which are closer, better, and less expensive.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No single shop is going to jump in with the terrible footfall in shannon. You'd need to put in something that isn't available close by in limerick or ennis, otherwise there won't be a draw. The M&S would be a puller all right, but I don't think there is a large enough premises in sky court, and if it's not in the centre, no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

MarkR wrote: »
    No single shop is going to jump in with the terrible footfall in shannon. You'd need to put in something that isn't available close by in limerick or ennis, otherwise there won't be a draw. The M&S would be a puller all right, but I don't think there is a large enough premises in sky court, and if it's not in the centre, no point.

True. Imagine if Shannon had an IKEA. Now that would have serious pulling power.

very good opinions everyone.... maybe putting our little thread to management to skycourt would be a good idea??? i was thinking that it would be a good idea if the management allowed for temporary pop up shops to give businesses a feel for business in the town before committing to a long term lease. I wish i had the money to back myself to open a business, i know times are tough but i do feel the town center has great potential. ever the optimistic :D

Ooooh, I totally forgot about IKEA. That would be a definite winner if they brought one of those in. It would fix the problems there quickly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

only way ikea would fit would be if they expanded across the road between the roundabout and mcdonalds like they were originally planning. Some nifty walkway between the 2 at the foodcourt level would help ensure footfall add get skycourt more use out of the multistorey (is it top level or top 2 levels not used?).
    Only thing i go into skycourt for is dunnes if i forgot something when i did my "real shopping" at jetland/coonagh.
    They could help xtravision by having a setdown area for 5 minutes for people getting dvds/games or using the bank machine.
    Speaking of bank machine, the one inside the main entrance is gone, was it ramraided and i didn't notice? :)

Speaking of bank machine, the one inside the main entrance is gone, was it ramraided and i didn't notice? :)[/QUOTE]
    i noticed that yesterday looks a bit strange alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

The Town Centre is the only thing in Shannon with a few shops.. theres nothing to do in Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

cfc.forever, feel free to start a new thread, I'm locking this one as it's almost two years old.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement