Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco/Dunnes for Tuam

Options
  • 18-08-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Now that planning permission for a new supermaket has been granted for Tuam (according to the Tuam Herald), who do people think will move in, the Sq footage seems to be a bit small for Tesco, so who will it be? Dunnes? Anyone have any ideas?

Or will it be filled at all?

What effect do people think it will have on the town?

T

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Tuam is losing a lot of business to other towns like Claremorris as far as I can see, so while it might lure people away from the town centre at least they'll still be within the town.

Roscommon town has a smaller population than Tuam yet has a Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and many other chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

PERMISSION has been granted for a new multi-million anchor supermarket development on the outskirts of Tuam.

Several attempts have previously been made to secure planning permission for the proposal earmarked for an extensive site at Blackacre on the Milltown Road.

This week, Galway Co Council has given the go-ahead to the project, which it has been long speculated, will attract another large supermarket brand to the town.
    Link

I have to say, I'm glad to see this go ahead. In turning it down before, the planners said it would take away business from the centre of Tuam. However, the "weekly shop" is a car dependent activity, and if people can't do it in Tuam, they'll go somewhere else (and have been). As well as which, this development is nearer the centre of Tuam than Lidl is, and that got permission.

Secondly, if you have a car-dependent activity in the town centre, the result is that you choke up the town centre, as has happened on many occasions.

I always thought this was the perfect site for a centre - still within the town (i.e. inside the proposed bypass) and on a busy road to attract people in.

Have to give my preference to Dunnes over Tesco or Aldi though - just because it's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Heard that RG DATA are planning to appeal this decision which would be a disgrace and even more so if An Bord Pleanala overturn the decision as they have done in the past. There is something sinister afoot as far as this development is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

RG DATA AKA O'Tooles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Joe O'Toole has retired AFAIK and handed over the business to an employee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

No problem with this going in obviously - long overdue

But expect another set of traffic/pedestrian lights to be positioned outside as was the case for Joyces supermarket.

That will make it 4 sets of lights between there & the Weir road junction...
    What's that, 800 - 900 yards of a distance.?? This will drive congestion through the roof on this road..

Its the Irish solution to planning - Block the town up with traffic for years until the realisation finally dawns that a bypass is the only option..

I'd give it another 10 to 15 years before this penny drops with them.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

O'Tooles has stopped development after development of grocery competition. I can't wait to take my business elsewhere.

While Joyce’s are in town now, the parking is not handy.

I'd prefer Dunne’s but Tesco will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see the point in another supermarket, there's already 3 in horrible places that do nothing but contribute to the traffic problems.

I wouldn't shop in tescos either way. I don't see what Dunnes would have that I couldn't get in Lidl or Supervalue.

this is just another example of idiocy as far as I can tell, traffics terrible make it worse, the shops are nothing but a distraction to make people in the area think their getting something when they're getting nothing but more headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

coup1917 wrote: »

But expect another set of traffic/pedestrian lights to be positioned outside as was the case for Joyces supermarket.

What's that, 800 - 900 yards of a distance.?? This will drive congestion through the roof on this road..

Its the Irish solution to planning - Block the town up with traffic for years until the realisation finally dawns that a bypass is the only option..

I'd give it another 10 to 15 years before this penny drops with them.....:rolleyes:
    Good post. The Tuam bypass has to be the number one priority for Tuam. While the "Big Dig" will have its benefits, ideally they would have started it after the bypass was finished (as they have done with other towns). However, the M17 ran into funding problems, and if Tuam was to wait any longer, the Big Dig would not have got done. And though it's made the traffic problems worse, Tuam will always be a bottleneck until the bypass is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

coup1917 wrote: »

Town centre lights (pedestrian or otherwise) are much different to those on the main N17 where the main traffic disruption is caused. There are three sets of lights along a half mile stretch with the Weir Road junction being a collosal problem. Traffic turning right from the Galway direction ultimately holds up through traffic and the same applies from the other direction. It is a nightmare. The lights at the shopping centre need major synchronising as do the ones at the Ballygaddy Road junction. Simply, there are too many lights within a short distance of each other and, as a previous poster stated, a bypass seems to be the only solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement