Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

built in post box

• 18-08-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭

am getting wall at front of house stone faced next week. wondering where to get a post box that can be built in. one that wont rust!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

anyone??? i think what im looking for is a cast iron one. there were only cheap "metal" ones in woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

yes cast iron is the one uwant.we got ours in a arro store in monaghan,which has since closed.not sumthing ufind everywhere.all i suggest is look up alist of arro stores nationwide and hopefully one will have it.

Nobbies wrote: »
    yes cast iron is the one uwant.we got ours in a arro store in monaghan,which has since closed.not sumthing ufind everywhere.all i suggest is look up alist of arro stores nationwide and hopefully one will have it.
    Thanks. How much was it ? Found one on eBay for 70 sterling ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Seem some in garden centres.
    This one has as cast iron front but the box is galvanised steel.

255euro it was,would ubelieve,that was 3yr,s ago.but worth it as at least it will last many years and is water tight.cheaper one,s will let water in and rust over time and then just fall out on the ground.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Seem some in garden centres.
    This one has as cast iron front but the box is galvanised steel.
    looks pretty good.galvanised bck should be ok as it would,nt be so exposed too the elements with it being in the wall.only question would be how well it,s jointed too the cast front from awater proof point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nobbies wrote: »
    looks pretty good.galvanised bck should be ok as it would,nt be so exposed too the elements with it being in the wall.only question would be how well it,s jointed too the cast front from awater proof point of view?

Don't have one so I'm not sure about water seals but there seems to be a drip bead around the door which would deflect rain away. I really doubt moisture is a problem, I've a standard flush mounted steel box which is completely exposed and has no water seals and not once in 20yrs has the contents got wet or the box rusted. You're biggest problem will be letters getting wet because they were left sticking out.

Advertisement