Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What motherboard

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

The power supply went in my pc at home so I went and got a replacement. Unfortunately it looks like it did some damage to the motherboard while it was at it...the new psu caused an interesting pop last night when fitted :mad:.

I therefore need a new motherboard with a 775 socket (processor is an E5200). Only other requirement is SPDIF output to connect to my amp.

This machine is really only used for surfing and playing movies/music.

Any recommendations on good deals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

before investing in a new 775 mobo which would be expensive becuase its EOL I'd check to see if the CPU isn't gone too. if its broken it'd work out cheaper to replace with newer gen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

That is a concern I have alright...

Problem is my second machine is a socket 1156 so I have no way of testing the cpu.

any friends with s775??

Not as far as I know. In fact most of my friends either have laptops or are the other side of the country!

Not as far as I know. In fact most of my friends either have laptops or are the other side of the country!
    i guess you could buy a second hand 775 mobo from adverts.ie or fleabay or something and hope the cpu isnt fudged. if it is then get another second hand CPU.

~€60 for the board, ~60 for the CPU, or a cheapo new AM3 tricore for the same money.

• Advertisement

:(
    Got around to testing this in a mate's machine last night and the CPU is buggered. The pc did more with no cpu installed than when mine was in it!

So, what's the best value in a new motherboard and cpu?

Advertisement