Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Shooting Center

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Went down to offaly last night to the national shooting center...
    What a place! The father is practicing for the HCAP exam and i came along to check the place out. What a facility!! Great for hunters too!
    There are .22/ rimfire plinking ranges...
    There is a few 100 yard ranges also.. and various distances
    The creme de la creme was the new 1200 yard range which was built for international competitions...
    They have regular open days and it sounds like great craic..shooting at moving deer, fox and rabbit targets that pop up for 3 seconds!!
    The lads down there were brilliant and i improved my groups to 2 inches at 100 yards after a very short tutorial!! Ive got great confidence now!
    i also found out that its the only place in Ireland where re-loading is allowed..these guys have been pushing for proper legislation.
    They are building a new club house with a gun room and will be selling rifles.
    What do the other lads here think of the place?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've been a member of the MNSCI for nearly 12 years now and my Father longer so my opinion may be slightly biased. When i left Dublin we came across the midlands due to word of mouth from one of the members there. We found it easier to attend than traveling to back to the range in Dublin every couple of weeks.

Since joining i've seen a huge development there with every penny being re-invested to improve the facilities for the benefit of the members. However i've seen more building and progress in the last 2 years than i have seen in the previous 8-9. Add to that the fact that the lads running it have all shooting sports best interests at heart to the point of sacrificing their own time and money to gain us NGB status, fighting for better legislation for firearm owners, developing the sport, even offering to help develope other clubs/ranges across the country, etc.

Recently, due to lack of work, i've dedicated some extra time to the range and offered what little i can where and when i can. There is so much talk of the membership fees yet, as i've said before, when you consider that after the initial years fee of €600 the yearly renewal of €295 is among the cheapest and definitely the cheapest inrelation to facilities available of any other range in the country.

As said at the start of this post most every member of a range will believe their range to be the best and i'm no exception. So when you consider you have access to;
    • 25mtr pistol range
    • 25mtr BR range
    • 50 mtr dedicated 3P/BR range
    • 50mtr sporting .22 range
    • 100mtr FB sheltered range
    • 200 yd sheltered FB range
    • 300 yd FB shletered range
    • 100 - 600 yd "windmill" range with 16 shooting bay to accomodate 32 shooters
    • 800 - 1,200 yd "Creedmoor" range with 25 shooting bays to accomodate 50 shooters.
    • Multiple clay pigeon traps/range (still being developed)
    ... all for €295 per year you can see why. Plus with the finishing of the new club house you'll have a full deli, availablility of accessories, a fully secure gun safe for rifle storage, access to the likes of Fergal White who frequents the range every week, and the largest number of top shooters across many disciplines, well it kinda speaks for itself.

I'm glad you had a good time, and i hope the lads there gave you the full tour, and that you "abused" the free coffee situation (i know i do :D).

Are you around for the week or just a flying visit before the HCAP next Saturday?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

Just a flying visit before the HCAP.. I will defo be coming back down again...
    My father is fairly confident of passing it... he was getting 2 inch groups aswell!
    The only problem is that we were using a .223.. he will have to use the .243 on the day of the test... he has bought the gun but cannot apply for the licence until he has the HCAP and Deer hunting licence... its a catch 22.. you need them to apply for the gun..and you need a gun to do the test! He has arranged to borrow one of another man doing the test the same day at the same time... trouble is.. he will be using a gun he has never used before!
    I had lots of tea and a few biscuits..cracking facilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hello Ezridax

Have to say its a great facility in the Midlands,and i am lucky to live nearby.
    The ranges have all you need for every shooter in all classes,and the staff is excellent up there.
    But i often wondered about the sheltered bays,are they yards or meters?

100mtr FB sheltered range
    200 yd sheltered FB range
    300 yd FB shletered range

I thought they where meters,but not that it makes a huge diiference,but nice to know if i zero for different ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have a pretty high opinion of the place. I should hope so, joining application should be getting processed at the moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*sigh*
    Still no decent 10m facilities....
    :pac:
    /legs it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hello Ezridax

Have to say its a great facility in the Midlands,and i am lucky to live nearby.
    The ranges have all you need for every shooter in all classes,and the staff is excellent up there.
    But i often wondered about the sheltered bays,are they yards or meters?

100mtr FB sheltered range
    200 yd sheltered FB range
    300 yd FB shletered range

I thought they where meters,but not that it makes a huge diiference,but nice to know if i zero for different ranges.

50m, 100m, 200y, and 300m I ranged them at.:)

clivej wrote: »
    50m, 100m, 200y, and 300m I ranged them at.:)

Thanks Clivej

So its actually 50 m 100 meters 200yards and 300meters.
    Its starting to make sense now:D

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

They also had a 150 meter range for the hornet, till a few year ago. 150 was a perfect zero for the hornet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Sparks wrote: »
    *sigh*
    /legs it

what the hell would you be doing at 10m. poking it with a stick.

hi rambo87. you should make sure you are at the range early so your dad can get a couple of practice shots in.

i will be there my self, i got a let this year for the first time to see what all the fuss is about.

also you dont need the H.C.A.P to get a hunting license or a rifle. unless you have no private permissions that is.

you can apply for the hunters license with the cal you intend to buy and that is free and will be sent back to you in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i joined a few years ago and i couldnt recommend it enough. i was a complete novice when i joined and all the lads were happy to help me out when i needed it. they have everything any shooter would need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

poulo6.5 wrote: »

International and Olympic air or gas driven devices that look like rifles and pistols are shot at 10m.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

i will be there my self, i got a let this year for the first time to see what all the fuss is about.
    Paulo will see u there, will send a PM so we can tie up for a tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The young lad has a water gun that can do that !!!! and trust me he's pretty damn accurate with it!!!

tac foley wrote: »
    International and Olympic air weapons [correct title, not meant to be offensive - that really is what they are called] are shot at 10m.
    They're not "really" called weapons tac. They're firearms.

Yes, I know, in germany the collective term for firearms used for target shooting is sportwaffen and some people translate that into english as "sporting weapons". That doesn't mean that they're "really" called weapons, it means it's a bad translation (even google translates it as "sporting arms").

The word "weapon" especially in Ireland, means something (most of the time not a firearm) used to harm another human. You will not find any politician, reporter or garda using the word "weapon" without the implied meaning of "used only and always to harm another human being" and you'll find very few members of the general public doing so either - so why would we seek to cause trouble for ourselves by using that term when it's not even accurate to begin with?

Poulo, you can't poke the targets with a stick at 10m. :p
    And it only sounds easy till you remember the ten ring is 0.8mm wide and you don't have telescopic sights and you're shooting offhand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

*sigh*
    /legs it

25m, 15m, and 10m in the pistol range.
    Plus 25m target bay for sighting your scope before going out on the 600m and 1000m Windmill range.
    what the hell would you be doing at 10m. poking it with a stick ......................................

Pratice for the Gallery shooting conpetitions that are held at 25m, 15, and 10m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Paulo will see u there, will send a PM so we can tie up for a tea/coffee.

ya no worries. i'll buy the coffie:D

its nice to put a face to the name. i'll be driving a black pajero with my name on the side

Plus 25m target bay for sighting your scope before going out on the 600m and 1000m Windmill range.

Pratice for the Gallery shooting conpetitions that are held at 25m, 15, and 10m

Ah yes, I forgot that you can still have REAL handguns in the RoI, not the ridiculous-looking things we are permitted to have over on the big island.

Mind you, we can have black powder handguns...

'snot the same tho'.

tac

Yeah, but it's a wee bit outdoorsy for airguns :)
    That's not to say we've not tried it...

dscf5293b.jpg

It's just that in any kind of bad weather, it wouldn't work so well.
    Mind you, there aren't many people in the Midlands shooting airgun anyway, so it's no major loss right now :D

Yeah, but it's a wee bit outdoorsy for airguns :)
    That's not to say we've not tried it...

dscf5293b.jpg

It's just that in any kind of bad weather, it wouldn't work so well.
    Mind you, there aren't many people in the Midlands shooting airgun anyway, so it's no major loss right now :D

That's ok, so. Thought it might be indoors - obviously not. I guess that air or gas-powered arms, in particular the pistol-ly kind, are more popular over here in a country where target handguns of the kind that you can have are prohibited.

tac

PS - Tell the shooter to relax his thumb - it' a thumb 'rest', not a thumb 'grip'.

Air weapons aren't popular anywhere tac, since air weapons are what you use to harm other humans.

Airguns on the other hand are enormously popular in your country and have been since the days of bell shooting in pubs.

• Advertisement

They're not "really" called weapons tac. They're firearms.

Yes, I know, in germany the collective term for firearms used for target shooting is sportwaffen and some people translate that into english as "sporting weapons". That doesn't mean that they're "really" called weapons, it means it's a bad translation (even google translates it as "sporting arms").

The word "weapon" especially in Ireland, means something (most of the time not a firearm) used to harm another human. You will not find any politician, reporter or garda using the word "weapon" without the implied meaning of "used only and always to harm another human being" and you'll find very few members of the general public doing so either - so why would we seek to cause trouble for ourselves by using that term when it's not even accurate to begin with?

Poulo, you can't poke the targets with a stick at 10m. :p
    And it only sounds easy till you remember the ten ring is 0.8mm wide and you don't have telescopic sights and you're shooting offhand :pac:

Hey Sparks

I have seen the 10 meter targets used in international competions,they are SMALL.
    I dont think y:eek:ou should shake your hand to much,before you are way of Target.
    Anyway the 10 meter is best suited indoors i think.
    Or atleast with a good shelter around it.
    And the term weapon,yes it took me a while to get used to that to,cause we say "Våpen" to almost any firearm in Norway,I dont think we have a good word for it to be honest.;)
    Anyway gettin the hang of the firearms word now:D

Hey Sparks
    I have seen the 10 meter targets used in international competions,they are SMALL.
    I dont think y:eek:ou should shake your hand to much,before you are way of Target.
    Nope, no shaking allowed :D
    Anyway the 10 meter is best suited indoors i think.
    Or atleast with a good shelter around it.
    Yup, it's always shot indoors for airguns - any breeze at all would make it impossible to shoot, there's just not enough kinetic energy in the pellets to manage any wind.
    (Hell, with my air pistol, you can watch the pellets flying downrange, they're so slow)
    We were lucky the day we were there that there wasn't any wind or rain and so we could see what the air pistol could do on the pistol range (and it will happily hit the target at 10, 15 and 25 metres, though by 25 metres the pellet is tumbling and hitting the target backwards). It's even accurate-ish out to the 25m range.
    And the term weapon,yes it took me a while to get used to that to,cause we say "Våpen" to almost any firearm in Norway,I dont think we have a good word for it to be honest.;)
    Anyway gettin the hang of the firearms word now:D
    Yeah, there isn't a one-to-one mapping between words in english and words in other languages; but the real bugbear is that those who'd rather we didn't have any firearms at all constantly call them "weapons" because they know what the general public associates with the term here. By using that word, we'd just be helping them to ban our firearms.

tac foley wrote: »
    PS - Tell the shooter to relax his thumb - it' a thumb 'rest', not a thumb 'grip'.
    My thumb actually is relaxed there - it just looks tense (I've got carpenter's thumb).

.............. and 1000m Windmill range.

/ahem

1,200 yd ...............:)

/ahem
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    /ahem

1,200 yd ...............:)

/ahem

Well 1200 yards equals 1097,28 meters,not so far off,lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Yup, it's always shot indoors for airguns - any breeze at all would make it impossible to shoot, there's just not enough kinetic energy in the pellets to manage any wind.
    (Hell, with my air pistol, you can watch the pellets flying downrange, they're so slow)

I remember watching lads shooting fullbore pistol matches - using .38 Wad Cutters and they were slow enough you could see them go downrange aswell - you could even see that they were already falling by the time they reached the targets - they did not even impact the sand in the backstop - but simply rolled down and piled up at the bottom.

I know they still have a lot more energy than an air pellet - by virtue of being heavier - but by the time they hit the target, or bullet catcher there was not a lot left - In fairness they were firing 50m and it was pissing rain and blowing a gale - still most of them were piled up in the centre at the bottom of the target.

At the end of the day - an 'official' match may not work in an outdoor range - but if everyone is firing an air pistol and they are all on the same line and it is snowing and blowing a gale - that is still a match.

B'Man

Still more than 1,000 mtrs. :p Plus 1,200 sounds more impressive than 1,000. :D

Ezridax wrote: »
    Still more than 1,000 mtrs. :p Plus 1,200 sounds more impressive than 1,000. :D

Yes thats is true.
    Its a big jump in elevation between the 2 at that range;)

Post amended. 'snot really worth blowing up into an argument, is it?

tac

• Advertisement

...and it will happily hit the target at 10, 15 and 25 metres, though by 25 metres the pellet is tumbling and hitting the target backwards). It's even accurate-ish out to the 25m range.

Funny you should say that the pellet is tumbling and hitting the target backwards at 25m.

Whereas, at 20m we are scoring over here in UK scores equalling our .22RF scores from back in the days when we were allowed real .22 handguns. My own never-to-be-repeated 100x100 on a PL12 target reminds me that air/gas propelled handguns can be every bit as accurate as their .22 brethren at 20m.

I'm looking forward to visiting the Midland site next time I'm over.

tac

Advertisement