Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Shooting Center

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    At the end of the day - an 'official' match may not work in an outdoor range - but if everyone is firing an air pistol and they are all on the same line and it is snowing and blowing a gale - that is still a match.
    Yup, no argument there.
    But you couldn't train in those conditions - which means that any match you went to, you'd do badly enough to be fustrated.
    For now though, it's a non-problem because there's noone in the midlands shooting airguns...

tac foley wrote: »
    Funny you should say that the pellet is tumbling and hitting the target backwards at 25m.
    Whereas, at 20m we are scoring over here in UK scores equalling our .22RF scores from back in the days when we were allowed real .22 handguns. My own never-to-be-repeated 100x100 on a PL12 target reminds me that air/gas propelled handguns can be every bit as accurate as their .22 brethren at 20m.

Are you guys using PCP or hand-cranked airguns at 20m? I've noticed that the PCP air pistols used by all the rich kids over here ( :pac: ) have a *lot* more oomph behind them than my little Izzy does - I suspect that they'd not have as much of a problem at 25m as the Izzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Sparks wrote: »
    My thumb actually is relaxed there - it just looks tense (I've got carpenter's thumb).

He's having a go at the carpenters now. :D (life of Brian)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Are you guys using PCP or hand-cranked airguns at 20m? I've noticed that the PCP air pistols used by all the rich kids over here ( :pac: ) have a *lot* more oomph behind them than my little Izzy does - I suspect that they'd not have as much of a problem at 25m as the Izzy.

I have an older Steyr LP-5 - it uses Co2 to fire it up. These days the more eco-friendly pistols and rifles of this genre use air at around 200 BAR, hence the perception of oomph. In any case, they are still limited to 6 ft lbs for licensing reasons - all are under that figure, as wall-smashing power is not required to drive a wad-cutter pellet cleanly through a piece of cardboard at either 10 or 20m.

As I noted on another thread - here on mainland UK -

Air/gas-propelled rifles - limited to 12 ft lbs - over that requires an FAC.

Air/gas-propelled pistols - limited to 6 ft lbs - ditto

The item that you were shooting tells me that you already know all this - I don't know what an 'izzy' is in the context of air arms, except that I've been called one a few times, as well as other less pleasant things.

tac

PS - Your comment about the 'rich kids' has simply sailed waaaaay over the top of my head. It is evident to me that just about anybody who shoots anything over in Ireland has just got to be far better off than I am - EVERYTHING costs you a whole lot more than it costs me. Anyone that CAN shoot anywhere near as much as I can just has to be seriously loaded or have their own gun store.

tac foley wrote: »
    The item that you were shooting tells me that you already know all this - I don't know what an 'izzy' is in the context of air arms, except that I've been called one a few times, as well as other less pleasant things.
    IZH-46m, a russian air pistol whose design is both agricultural in appearance and almost historical in origins (dates from the late 60s if I recall correctly).
    PS - Your comment about the 'rich kids' has simply sailed waaaaay over the top of my head.
    "rich kids" is a joke along the lines of calling a 7'2" 300lb man 'tiny' because the UCD students use FWB P44s and they would not have the highest personal income on record.

• Advertisement

IZH-46m, a russian air pistol whose design is both agricultural in appearance and almost historical in origins (dates from the late 60s if I recall correctly).

"rich kids" is a joke along the lines of calling a 7'2" 300lb man 'tiny' because the UCD students use FWB P44s and they would not have the highest personal income on record.

Ah, right to both comments.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭niteowl84

• 100 - 600 yd "windmill" range with 16 shooting bay to accomodate 32 shooters... ?
    I would love to join midlands shooting centre some day but been out of work I cant afford it yet and it wouldn't bother me driving 2 hrs there and 2 hrs home again. just wanted to know is it only opened on weekends?

Also about the 100-600yd range this might sound like a stupid question but does that mean you can shoot from 100 to 600 yards from the same shooting position with out having to get up and moving shooting position for the other ranges?

Thanks for help everyone!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

niteowl84 wrote: »
    [/LIST] just wanted to know is it only opened on weekends?

Its available Wednesday through Friday to members with pre-arrangment, and then weekends to members and non members alike.
    Also about the 100-600yd range this might sound like a stupid question but does that mean you can shoot from 100 to 600 yards from the same shooting position with out having to get up and moving shooting position for the other ranges?

No.

The backstop is a fixed structure with the target boards alos fixed ans statonary. There are multiple firing points starting at 100 yards and moving back 100 yards ar a time so you have 16 positons at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. There is no 700 yard shooting position as its simply not used in any comp we train for. For 800, 900, 1,000, 1,100, and 1,200 yards you move to the Creedmoor range and the same applies. A fixed backstop with fixed targets with multiple firing points at all the distances.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭niteowl84

so does it mean if your on the 100 to 600 yd range and your starting at the 100 yd first and theres other shooters with you then can you go back to the 200yd while there still on the 100yd range? also if your not a member can you go up to have a look at the facility o weekends before deciding to join and do you have to make an appointment or can you just show up and have someone show you around?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

so does it mean if your on the 100 to 600 yd range and your starting at the 100 yd first and theres other shooters with you then can you go back to the 200yd while there still on the 100yd range?

If you move backwards from the 100yd firing point to the 200yd firing point, then the remaining shooters on the 100yd firing point will be in front of you.

So no.

• Advertisement

so does it mean if your on the 100 to 600 yd range and your starting at the 100 yd first and theres other shooters with you then can you go back to the 200yd while there still on the 100yd range?

No. All the firing points are in a line behind one another all facing towards the backstop. The windmill range is used normally for shooting in excess of 300 yards as most lads that want to shoot between 100 - 300 will use the sheltered range even though its in metres it suffices for their needs.

The Creedmoor range can be used at the same time as the windmill as they are two seperate ranges. So you could be shooting on the 300 yard firing point of the windmill while other lads are shooting on say 900 yards on the Creedmoor.
    also if your not a member can you go up to have a look at the facility o weekends before deciding to join and do you have to make an appointment or can you just show up and have someone show you around?

On the weekends you can simply turn up, go into the office and make yourself known. Anyone of the ROs will be happy to show you around the facilities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    No. All the firing points are in a line behind one another all facing towards the backstop. The windmill range is used normally for shooting in excess of 300 yards as most lads that want to shoot between 100 - 300 will use the sheltered range even though its in metres it suffices for their needs.

The Creedmoor range can be used at the same time as the windmill as they are two seperate ranges. So you could be shooting on the 300 yard firing point of the windmill while other lads are shooting on say 900 yards on the Creedmoor.

I'm glad we cleared THAT one up.....could have been pretty exciting, else. :)

tac

The reason there may be confusion tac foley is two fold.
    1. Alot of lads still have never sat foot on a range and even less on a proper fullbore range so do not fully understand the way it works.
    2. Secondly if lads have been to the MNSCI, but only onto the sheltered range then they may think the windmill and Creedmoor is set out the same. On the sheltered ranges we have one long continuous firing point and then three individual backstops representing the different distances. See pic.
    picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=7172

Or even three-fold -- Bisley uses the echelon system for some of its ranges, so if shooters were firing at different distances, some would be forward of the other shooters (and off to their left or right - eg. firing points 1-10 at 600yds, firing points 11-20 some distance to the right of 10 and a few hundred yards forward, and so on). The distances are worked out to keep everyone outside of danger areas.

I don't know of any range over here that does it that way though.

Thats true also. I mean Bisley has some ranges with a 100 or so individual firing points. So you could have lads on the 1-10 and then lads at a longer/shorter distance firing from 80-90.

Its simply not done here. The ranges we have, and the way we shoot are well catered for with the way we are currently doing it.

Thanks for the pic - looking at it on GE I see's what you means.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked but Is it possible to pay for a day, just to do a couple of hours shooting?
    Cheers.

No. Day memberships are not allowed on any range.

You can be signed in as a guest by an existing member. That perosn must stay with you and "supervise" your actions throughout your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Ezridax wrote: »
    No. Day memberships are not allowed on any range.

You can be signed in as a guest by an existing member. That perosn must stay with you and "supervise" your actions throughout your stay.

Ok that's grand. Thanks for that.

Advertisement