Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview - Freesat - Freeview in Greystones

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I see more and more people offering setups for these in the local adrags. Anybody ditched the UPC / Sky setup and got themselves on the Saorview bandwagon yet?

I'd be interested in any hints tips people have on setting it up in Charlesland / greater Greystones area, specifically around the kit you used overall cost etc

As a very seldom watcher of the goggle box, unless it's the GAA, I see it as a great way of ditching that monthly spend on crud I do not watch.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Quackhart wrote: »
    I see more and more people offering setups for these in the local adrags. Anybody ditched the UPC / Sky setup and got themselves on the Saorview bandwagon yet?

I'd be interested in any hints tips people have on setting it up in Charlesland / greater Greystones area, specifically around the kit you used overall cost etc

As a very seldom watcher of the goggle box, unless it's the GAA, I see it as a great way of ditching that monthly spend on crud I do not watch.
    My mother has it now. She cancelled her Sky subscription and uses the Sky box (free of charge) to get BBCs, Channel 4, ITVs, Film 4 etc.
    The new Saorview box she had installed gives her all Irish stations in HD for free (RTEs, TV3 etc. )

Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've trialled all the free stuff available here in greystones - I even had a look at a combi box which does both DTT and Satellite on the same box. Sweet! But you do need both an aerial (for Saorview) and satellite (to get UK channels). There will be a Saorsat (RTE/TV3 etc on a dish) option in the future but if you want to have the UK channels as well there's a bit of setting up required with 2 LNBs, a larger dish (80cm or so), plenty of cables and a bunch of set top boxes!

So for the moment a bog standard aerial pointed at Kindlestown Wood, a Satellite dish pointed at Astra 2A (28.2 degrees) and using the combi box works a treat.

If you do decide to buy a DTT box of any kind, make sure it's a saorview approved box...if you happen to get a box from the UK or Europe somewhere, check to see if it does all the Saorview requirements - more info on the Tech terrestrial forum.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you have any sort of view of the sea you should be able to get Freeview (the UK digital terrestrial service) with a decent roof aerial, and afaik a Freeview HD box will also pick up Saorview.

I tried switching from Sky to Freesat, but protests (from certain others...) at the lack of kids & and cooking channels led to me selling the Freesat box. The terrestrial board is the place to go for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I picked up that combo deal from Tony - Ariva Freeview and Saorview in one.

+'s
    Got all my Irish stations and most of the UK ones - especially all the BBC's; UTV's and even channel 5.
    Can record live TV (need an external HDD)
    Can pause live TV (need an external HDD)
    Very good price

-'s
    Electronic guide is not as good as SKYs, this probably took me the most to get used to.
    You do need a satellite dish (am using the SKY one) & an aerial (where I am I had to use a booster).

Overall the box is quite good, yes build quality might not be bullet proof and there are a few oddities with it - but for the price and the support from Tony I am thrilled with my choice.

If you want more details on the one I have PM me.

Cost:
    existing dish - so free
    existing aerial - so free - just had to install a new cable - so say a tenner - ran it up myself.
    Box - around 106 Euro. (w discount) - I could have gotten it cheaper abroad - but then who to goto for help... :)
    The site I used has prices for all of the gear including installation and extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know of anyone (reasonable) who install the Saorview box?

can pm me the number?

tks

• Advertisement
Advertisement