Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano reel advice wanted please

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking at getting one of these reels Shimano Baitrunner RA DL 6000, 95euro or a Shimano Baitrunner ST RA 6000 74euro.

Can anyone tell me the difference or does anyone have any other recommendations as am a bit of a noobie.

I intend to use it for river and lake and maybe a small bit of mackerel fishing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Hi Folks

Looking at getting one of these reels Shimano Baitrunner RA DL 6000, 95euro or a Shimano Baitrunner ST RA 6000 74euro.

Can anyone tell me the difference or does anyone have any other recommendations as am a bit of a noobie.

I intend to use it for river and lake and maybe a small bit of mackerel fishing.

Thanks
    I have 2 of these and they are flawless I couldn't recommend them enough.They are quite heavy.What type of fishing are you doing ?I wouldnt use them for mackerel just because there's no need,its a bit over kill .I use mine for salmon,pike and bass.If your looking for something a bit lighter check out any of the size 4000 shimano spinning reels.There a bit cheaper and you wont mind it getting covered in smelly mackerel.I use the shimano EXAGE RC another great reel and wont break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

damagegt wrote: »
    I have 2 of these and they are flawless I couldn't recommend them enough.They are quite heavy.What type of fishing are you doing ?I wouldnt use them for mackerel just because there's no need,its a bit over kill .I use mine for salmon,pike and bass.If your looking for something a bit lighter check out any of the size 4000 shimano spinning reels.There a bit cheaper and you wont mind it getting covered in smelly mackerel.I use the shimano EXAGE RC another great reel and wont break the bank.

Thanks for the reply,
    Ya i would be looking to fish for pike around xmas where the folks live.
    Other than that it would be fairly basic so am not sure whether just to get a cheap and cheerful one and maybe upgrade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Thanks for the reply,
    Ya i would be looking to fish for pike around xmas where the folks live.
    Other than that it would be fairly basic so am not sure whether just to get a cheap and cheerful one and maybe upgrade later.
    Well If your going to try for pike id pick one up just in case you land a monster! and as you said there not overly expensive.If you take care of it it will last you many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Im hoping to stock a lot more Shimano next year, people love it and it seems to do what it says on the tin. My hijack thread question is, has anyone used their fresh water rods? Or their rod and reel combo, any thoughts?

Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

twomeys wrote: »
    Im hoping to stock a lot more Shimano next year, people love it and it seems to do what it says on the tin. My hijack thread question is, has anyone used their fresh water rods? Or their rod and reel combo, any thoughts?

Eoghan

I have a 13 foot hyperloop float match rod and a hyperloop 4000 reel (bought 8 years apart) The rod is decent, but i would like a little bit more power in it. still, the rod will prob last a lifetime (if it doesnt get stood on like my last float rod :mad: )

• Advertisement
Advertisement