If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40"-42" TV

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:41am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, im considering a new tv for our living room.
    Initially i was going to go with an LCD or Plasma but now im considering a LED screen [if the price is decent], needs to be 40"-42".
    I was looking at the LG 42LE5900 - 42 inch LED TV 1080p (LED) on your website.
    Any suggestions guys?
    Also am i correct in thinking i wont need Saorview once i have a Sky subscription?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Dcully,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The LG is one of our best value LEDs at the moment at Just £569.95. It's got a superb picture and handles motion very well. We've got 1 on display in the shop and usually have bits of sport on Saturdays and this TV looks amazing!

We have them in stock and I could have one sent down to you for £21.99.

And you're spot on with the Sky comment.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks Dave, any thoughts on a Plasma, im reading quite a lot that they might just shade things in the image quality department?
    Are Plasmas really much bulkier than a LED?

Hi again,

Plasms screens are a little bit more bulkier than the new LED panels which are super slim in the likes of the new Samsung range.

In my opinion plasma screens are alot better for the likes of sports over say like a standard 50hz LCD screen, they're also more sharper.

But LED gives both a run for their money. You're getting excellent picture quality, very sharp images, excellent blacks aswell and also a very slick looking TV.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi

Just like OP; Im looking to buy a 42'' LED and would appreciate some suggestions/prices please

Also will Irish Terrestrial Stations like RTE & TV3 still be shown through UPC in the future and therefore eliminating the need to get a Saorview TV or is a Saorview TV absolutely necessary?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Iba

Anyone?

Richer Sounds?

• Advertisement

Hi Iba,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Just had a chat with a lovely lady from UPC. As UPC is a digital service they provide they same stations as Saorview, and they've no plans to scrap them.

So if you have UPC and plan to keep it you don't need a Saorview certified TV.

Regards.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and its just what I thought.

Fair play to you ringing UPC but unfortunatly the lovely lady is not 100% correct in what she is saying as UPC do not show exactly the same stations as Saorview eg RTE2 HD etc

The Hypothetically question now arises, will UPC continue to broadcast terristerial channels for the foreseeable future, eg RTE, TV3 or will they lose the rights. Or at the opposite end, will UPC add stations like RTE2 HD in the future?

Besides that, any suggestion on a 42'' LED TV?

Regards

Iba

Hi Iba.

It's hard to say what any of the TV suppliers are going to do. They can change things at the drop of a hat.

One of the main differences with TV's at the moment is down to the scanning rate.

We have a good LED model which is 100Hz that comes in at sensible money. This is called the LG 42LK530. This is a good TV and well worth the money given that similar models from other manufacturers tend to be 50Hz for the same price bracket.

The one that Chris had mentioned earlier on in the thread is a bargain.

This model uses the new motion clarity index which although the TV is technically 100Hz, it improves the frame rate to such a degree that the motion handling is soooooo smooth. It also adds the smart TV feature which is a great feature in today's technology and you have the option of adding the sexy new magic motion remote control. The 550T also has a much better contrast ratio and the blacks are brilliant on it.

This TV has come down drastically in price to £569.95 and it's one of the best that we have around that price.

I hope this helps, but let me know your thoughts on either of these or if you are looking something less expensive or something higher up the range.

Many thanks.

Dave

Hi Iba.

It's hard to say what any of the TV suppliers are going to do. They can change things at the drop of a hat.

One of the main differences with TV's at the moment is down to the scanning rate.

We have a good LED model which is 100Hz that comes in at sensible money. This is called the LG 42LK530. This is a good TV and well worth the money given that similar models from other manufacturers tend to be 50Hz for the same price bracket.

The one that Chris had mentioned earlier on in the thread is a bargain.

This model uses the new motion clarity index which although the TV is technically 100Hz, it improves the frame rate to such a degree that the motion handling is soooooo smooth. It also adds the smart TV feature which is a great feature in today's technology and you have the option of adding the sexy new magic motion remote control. The 550T also has a much better contrast ratio and the blacks are brilliant on it.

This TV has come down drastically in price to £569.95 and it's one of the best that we have around that price.

I hope this helps, but let me know your thoughts on either of these or if you are looking something less expensive or something higher up the range.

Many thanks.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Just a quick clarification:

the LG42LK530T is £430
    the one that Chris mentioned is the LG42LE5900 at £500
    and the LG42LV550T is £570 (which Im liking the look of) - has this TV got a MPEG4 Tuner?

Thanks in advance
    Regards

Iba

iba wrote: »
    Thanks Dave,

Just a quick clarification:

the LG42LK530T is £430
    the one that Chris mentioned is the LG42LE5900 at £500
    and the LG42LV550T is £570 (which Im liking the look of) - has this TV got a MPEG4 Tuner?

Thanks in advance
    Regards

Iba

Dave - Richer Sounds - r u there?

• Advertisement

Hi Iba.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The 42LE5900 has a problem with Saorview which can be rectified with a firmware update.

I would suggest looking at the 42LV550T which is the new 100Hz model which is Saorview compatible and is a brilliant TV.

We have these in stock and we can despatch ASAP.

If you would like to order call us on 0044 333 900 0071.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for ur reply.

Yeah I think Im going to go for that one.

So can i ask you to recommend a Home Cinema system to go with that, preferably one with wireless rear speakers please?

Also can u tell me what ur returns policy is if there is something wrong with the set, damaged in some way or with dead pixels please?

Thanks

Iba

Hi Iba.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The 42LE5900 has a problem with Saorview which can be rectified with a firmware update.

I would suggest looking at the 42LV550T which is the new 100Hz model which is Saorview compatible and is a brilliant TV.

We have these in stock and we can despatch ASAP.

If you would like to order call us on 0044 333 900 0071.

Regards

Dave

Hi Iba.

Parcels are on their way.

Any problems, keep us posted.

ATB

Dave

Hi Iba.

Parcels are on their way.

Any problems, keep us posted.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave,

All arrived fine.

Just need a longer cable for one of the rear speakers - can u advise what type of cable I should get please.

Regards

Iba

Hi Iba.

Cambridge Audio symphony 100 will do the job.

It's 99p per metre.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

How much would shipping of about 10metres to Dublin cost or can you send it to the Philips Store?

Thanks

Iba
    Hi Iba.

Cambridge Audio symphony 100 will do the job.

It's 99p per metre.

ATB

Dave

Hi Iba.

I'd say £5 would cover it.

It would just go via normal post.

Keep me posted.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.