Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell computer

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago. I bought it via an email contact who sent me a quote for a system. The system looked suitable but would need more RAM in the future. I decided that I would buy this myself at a later date.

So I ordered the computer and now two years later I want to upgrade the RAM. I was about to purchase the RAM when I realized that the computer can only use a maximum of 8GB and I need 16GB. When I ordered it I enquired as to how many RAM slots the computer had and was told it has four. This is plenty to hold 16GB of RAM, however I was not told about the 8GB limit. Having said that I didn't specifically ask as I foolishly assumed that it was higher.

The quote contains no information about this limit at all, though it does give the name of the system and using this name I could have found the manual online. I was not given a link to this manual.

I'm pretty annoyed by this as it makes my work significantly more difficult. I emailed Dell and they just confirmed that the system does not take more than 8GB, didn't say much else. My question is do I have a claim as the quote gave no information about this limitation at all? I'm pretty much certain that I don't for several reasons but I'd like to check.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would say no. There is nothing wrong with what was sold to you. You want to modify it in a way that the manufacturer does not support, therefore it's not their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Short answer is no, you said it yourself that you did not specifically ask so they were under no obligation to tell you anything about it.

If they had told you it was capable of 16GB or that it could be upgraded later to hold 16GB then you would have had a very strong case if you still had the emails quotes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What specific model is it and what OS are you running and is it 32 or 64 bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BOO HOO!

testicle wrote: »
    BOO HOO!
    Really? Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks, just wanted to check.

@Cookie: I'm running a 64bit OS but the system is limited to 8GB.

You've probably checked but if you want to be doubly sure you can use the crucial app to check the max ram your system can take:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just because Dell don't officially support more than 8GB of RAM in that machine, doesn't mean it won't work. See if you can borrow a matching module to try it out before buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kevo wrote: »
    So I ordered the computer and now two years later I want to upgrade the RAM. I was about to purchase the RAM when I realized that the computer can only use a maximum of 8GB and I need 16GB. When I ordered it I enquired as to how many RAM slots the computer had and was told it has four. This is plenty to hold 16GB of RAM, however I was not told about the 8GB limit. Having said that I didn't specifically ask as I foolishly assumed that it was higher.
    UUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF???

What level of experience do you have with the internals of computer? Are you saying that you based on the amount of RAM the computer would take by the amount of slots???

No. You have absolutely no comeback with Dell. Your computer works fine.

Oh, and check if opening up the computer and adding in 3rd party hardware invalidates the Dell warranty. It usually does :pac:

Oh, and give us the model number of the motherboard. It'll be written on the motherboard, usually near the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

the_syco wrote: »
    UUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF???
    Oh, and check if opening up the computer and adding in 3rd party hardware invalidates the Dell warranty. It usually does

We do a lot a work on Dells and third party RAM has never invalidated the warranty. Dell consider these user-replaceable parts. Obviously if the RAM is the problem it will not be covered so best keep the original sticks for testing.

The detailed spec of any machine on the Dell site usually gives the max ram.. its up to you to check before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

Maybe not.it is the mistake you made ,not blame the others

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wingnut wrote: »
    We do a lot a work on Dells and third party RAM has never invalidated the warranty. Dell consider these user-replaceable parts. Obviously if the RAM is the problem it will not be covered so best keep the original sticks for testing.
    Are you an authorized Dell repair centre? I ask as I remember back a few years, a few computer companies had it in their warranty that if you opened the case, you invalidated the warranty, as people would often sometimes forget to turn the power off before upgrading the RAM :D :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Often the limit is higher than what Dell say officially. You need to dig around the forums and see if anyone has tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Are you an authorized Dell repair centre?

Nope

....Oh, and check if opening up the computer and adding in 3rd party hardware invalidates the Dell warranty. It usually does....

If you've ever worked on large batches of machines, say Dell or HP, you notice that the components like ram, HD's DVD's etc change constantly, as they put in whatever was cheapest at the time of manufacture. So you might get the first 200 machines with seagate drives, the next 200 with WD. Its a complete lottery. Interestingly enough, I noticed that different brands made at the same time with have the same components. So its like Apple, Dell and HP all bought the same HD's that week, or that brand of RAM etc.

I would seriously doubt that Dell would know the specific brand of what was in a PC when a customer gets it. Also its decades since I saw those stickers that were meant to stop you opening up a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Are you an authorized Dell repair centre? I ask as I remember back a few years, a few computer companies had it in their warranty that if you opened the case, you invalidated the warranty, as people would often sometimes forget to turn the power off before upgrading the RAM :D :eek:

I used work for Dell. Depending on the model, some parts are user replaceable and instructions are provided in the user manual on how to replace them. You can even ring tech support and ask them to guide you through an upgrade, although this service is not free.. On the Dimension and XPS models you can replace the ram, optical, hard drives, and even the memory and cpu without voiding warranty. Some manufacturers don't allow this sort of thing obviously and you can understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

BostonB wrote: »
    I would seriously doubt that Dell would know the specific brand of what was in a PC when a customer gets it. Also its decades since I saw those stickers that were meant to stop you opening up a PC.

Not only will Dell know the specific brand of component, they will know the part number, serial number and date of manufacture.

True they would have a record. I kinda meant that they will have used a variety of different brands of components in the same model.

In terms of the OP question, you can sometime exceed the limitations as stated by Dell. It depends on the model, you'd need to hunt around to see if anyone else found how to do it. Obviously sometimes you just can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BostonB wrote: »
    True they would have a record. I kinda meant that they will have used a variety of different brands of components in the same model.

In terms of the OP question, you can sometime exceed the limitations as stated by Dell. It depends on the model, you'd need to hunt around to see if anyone else found how to do it. Obviously sometimes you just can't.

:confused: No sure what you knda meant at all.

The OP stated there are not the slots, so game over.

To answer the question asked as a Consumer Issue; there is no case to be made based on the sale at the time.

I felt it was implied you can't use 3rd party hardware in a Dell. Or it violates the warranty. Half the machine Dell sells you is 3rd party hardware from the start. Dell doesn't make half this stuff, it just buys it in. Poor explanation on my part sorry.

The number of slots isn't the definitive criteria. You might have a machine with 4 slots that supports 4GB of Ram and another with 2 slots that supports 16GB. The limitation is the chipset, and the bios Dell uses.

Sometime users find Dell specification its not totally accurate, or up to date. People on forums might have found a way around a limitation. Sometimes not and Dell is correct. Hard to know without some idea of the model number of the hardware we're talking about it.

But as you say, as a consumer question its already been answered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement