Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero bars ?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have a Giant Defy 4 bike and am thinking about getting aero bars for it but have heard mixed things about putting them on a normal road bike.
    The main benefit i have read sems to be that you use different muscles when on the tri bars so your legs aren't as banjaxed when you go for the run.

Has anyone any views or experience with this ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

No takers ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I did this, worked well. If you have an angled seat post, turn it back to front so that you can have your saddle further forward (the tip of the saddle over the bottom bracket if possible). This might work for you, you might find it uncomfortable, but it's a cheap and easy way of getting more aero on a road bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Every time I see this thread, I think of chocolate bars...Am I the only one???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Every time I see this thread, I think of chocolate bars...Am I the only one???

The problem is that on sunny days they melt and it makes an awful mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

I have aero bars on my road bike, but i got a proper bike fitting done and i did noticed an improvement in race times, but that could be as much to do with the bike fitting rather than the aero bars

• Advertisement

thanks for that lads. I think i'll give it a shot anyway

got a cheapish raleigh pair about two weeks ago now. they are handy to have, offer a new resting place and seems to take a little pressure off the legs, but they are a little too high to make them really aero dynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm looking to get a set of aero-bars for my road bike but can't decide if I need draft legal bars or not.

Last time I raced, in 2008, drafting was illegal in most races, hence, no need for draft-legal bars. Is this still the case?

I could get draft legal ones to be on the safe side but there seems to be a compromise in terms of bar length in the draft legal ones so would rather get straight ones if I can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a set of aero-bars for my road bike but can't decide if I need draft legal bars or not.

Last time I raced, in 2008, drafting was illegal in most races, hence, no need for draft-legal bars. Is this still the case?

I could get draft legal ones to be on the safe side but there seems to be a compromise in terms of bar length in the draft legal ones so would rather get straight ones if I can use them.

Most AG races in Ireland are drafting races run as non drafting races.

(by that I mean drafting is huge in races but shouldn't be)

get what ever allow you to get the best aero position on your road bike. Draft illegal could be too long or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    I have a Giant Defy 4 bike and am thinking about getting aero bars for it but have heard mixed things about putting them on a normal road bike.
    The main benefit i have read sems to be that you use different muscles when on the tri bars so your legs aren't as banjaxed when you go for the run.

Has anyone any views or experience with this ?

thanks

not really got anything to do with using different muscles :) But I'd guess you've figured that out by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement