Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When I grow up I wanna be...

• 18-08-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

...like Enternow and 'The Doc'. :D

Good old boards.ie comes up trumps again, check this out:

http://www.tog.ie/2011/08/irish-hackerspaces-week-2011/

There's a soldering class on Sunday. Looks like it could be super useful for clumsy oafs like me.

Anyone else contemplating going? I see quite a few classes and talks on there I'm hoping to find time to go to.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If I had the time the two soldering workshops would interest me, they sound interesting enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I wish I could go, but I have thesis to finish before the 1st :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

@The Doc: If you need to attend a soldering class then my name is Loretta and I like horse riding, painting Hummel figurines and long walks in the park on clear Autumn days.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

A good quality soldering iron (antex are affordable 25watt plus)
    A length of stripboard
    A roll of solder and some wire
    YouTube and you should be able to teach yourself in no time.

Cheap irons with chrome tips are most people's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

A good quality soldering iron (antex are affordable 25watt plus)
    A length of stripboard
    A roll of solder and some wire
    YouTube and you should be able to teach yourself in no time.

Cheap irons with chrome tips are most people's problems.

+ some quality flux is a must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

And try and not to use that Eco (lead free)solder if you can.

Seems to not last as long as the old (poisonous) stuff :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Steve SI wrote: »
    And try and not to use that Eco (lead free)solder if you can.

Seems to not last as long as the old (poisonous) stuff :)

...isnt lead free solder part of the reason for the Original Xbox 360's RROD problems?

Pyongyang wrote: »
    ...like Enternow and 'The Doc'. :D

Good old boards.ie comes up trumps again, check this out:

http://www.tog.ie/2011/08/irish-hackerspaces-week-2011/

There's a soldering class on Sunday. Looks like it could be super useful for clumsy oafs like me.

Anyone else contemplating going? I see quite a few classes and talks on there I'm hoping to find time to go to.
    I learnt to solder in college , but was so cack handed and had so little practice since I'm rubbish.
    might see if I can pop along for the few hours , wife and child allowing
    If I am I'll drop you a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

...isnt lead free solder part of the reason for the Original Xbox 360's RROD problems?

I think so yeah, plus the PS3 has issues as well that some people think is due to the crappy solder used.

If I tried to solder anything right now, I'd probably end up soldering a delicious biscuit to my eyeball.

I need this class.

• Advertisement

I popped along today , it was good craic and I learnt a fair bit as to why my previous technicues have been rubbish!
    the Tog.ie lads have some cool stuff on the go ..including 3 of these lads in various states of build
    th_d9486388.jpg
    theres a few talks on thursday so I'm planning on popping along if anyone fancies going

Good stuff, wish I could have gone. Might go Wednesday night though.

What was said about the cabs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I popped along today , it was good craic and I learnt a fair bit as to why my previous technicues have been rubbish!
    the Tog.ie lads have some cool stuff on the go ..including 3 of these lads in various states of build
    th_d9486388.jpg
    theres a few talks on thursday so I'm planning on popping along if anyone fancies going

Kicking myself i couldnt make it in today but got caught up:mad:

Will more than likely make it out on thursday as a lot of things they do could help me
    Also the membership scheme looks very interesting as i plan to do some home builds in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

What a great link! Thank you very much.

After reading it it does seem easy, I'm tempted to buy the book it's featured in now too to learn more. Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Anyone want to make thursday a retrobeers night?

I was thinking that if we meet up in the hackerspace and then head down for a drink in Bombidols place in Thomas St

What class is on Thursday? I was thinking of going along tomorrow night to the networking chat. All depends on work schedule though. TOG sent me a tweet saying they are looking to hold another soldering class before year end so that's good news.

thursday is the night of talks .
    I was going to go but looks like I 'm going to be working late enough so I probably cant make it

Advertisement