Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Townland in Tipperary or Limerick - "cool na croke ereh"

Options
  • 18-08-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for the terrible spelling, but I realised as I went to spell it out that I had no idea how to do it . . .

I'm trying to trace a relative of mine from a long time ago. Word is that he was from either Tipperary or Limerick. We're going back to the 1840s at this stage, so you can appreciate why it might be a bit vague.

The understanding is that he was from a townland with a name pronounced something like this - "cool na croke ereh". Obviously the 'k' wouldn't have been in there at that time, but it sounds the same as Croke as in Croke Park.

What I'm hoping for here, is that someone recognises the townland from the Limerick or Tipperary area, not that they help trace my relative.

Once I have the townland name correct I can focus a little better on the relevant records.

So, how about it - Coolnacroceire, Coolnacroighire, Coolnacroacaire - anyone ?

Thanks,

z

[cross posted to genealogy forum]

Comments

Advertisement