Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing

• 18-08-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Anyone do this?
    My young-fella likes to mess about - usually just going around in circles - so when I want to make a bit of distance, I tow him.
    I was considering getting him his own little Yak board or something similar but now might just get him a standard-sized kayak and tow him when necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Banbh wrote: »
    Anyone do this?
    My young-fella likes to mess about - usually just going around in circles - so when I want to make a bit of distance, I tow him.
    I was considering getting him his own little Yak board or something similar but now might just get him a standard-sized kayak and tow him when necessary.

Well I have towed tired newbs and renegade boats. What's the query? Are you using a sling to tow with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I just use a length of rope. I was half expecting people to tell me that I shouldn't do this as I've never seen it done or mentioned on any canoeing courses.

Banbh wrote: »
    I just use a length of rope. I was half expecting people to tell me that I shouldn't do this as I've never seen it done or mentioned on any canoeing courses.
    Not ideal in moving water no. Not sure where your paddling. If moving water a sling over the shoulder so you can ditch the passenger if need be is preferable. If on a lake whilst its not ideal you can use rope. Just be careful or contemplate a Canadian Canoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

As long as you are towing with some form of quick release. Even as simple as just letting go. Don't wrap 'rope' or sling around yourself.

Sounds silly but I have seen ropes wrapped around paddlers while towing. Accident waiting to happen.

I had just tied the towline to the back of my kayak but will introduce some sort off quick release.
    The sooner this kid gets some muscles the better.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Use your cow tail attached to your BA, it should have a quick release mechanism built into it.

I have a hinke straddling the hotchkiss which levels with the PRKL. It evens the flow on the lardirons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

nookie wrote: »
    A cow tail is not an appropriate towing mechanism - use a sling with a crab on the end of it if you are towing.

Cant agree enough yet I keep using it ! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

nookie wrote: »
    A cow tail is not an appropriate towing mechanism - use a sling with a crab on the end of it if you are towing.

Why exactly would you consider it inappropriate? Towing is prety much what it is desinged for. As Yomchi points out it's on a quick release system so there shouldn't be issues!

• Advertisement

Having it wrap around you is highly unlikely to happen, and no more likely then using the sling across shoulder method which would also not be as quick release as you would like in that scenario.

Generally towing in a whitewater environment is not advised with any towing system, but in one where you are completely confident in your own ability there is no reason not to use the cowtail for towing.

KenHy wrote: »
    Having it wrap around you is highly unlikely to happen, and no more likely then using the sling across shoulder method which would also not be as quick release as you would like in that scenario.

Generally towing in a whitewater environment is not advised with any towing system, but in one where you are completely confident in your own ability there is no reason not to use the cowtail for towing.

Test out next time you get a chance how much load it takes for your tail to release. It's quite a bit and if your gear isn't fully maintained, it's even more than you'd imagine

It's actualy not all that much (I have checked)! It's a matter of prefrence if you want to use a cowtail to tow. There is no set do's or dont's. Just be aware of your own abilities and the limitations of the quick release system.

I've always used my cowtail for towing and will continue to do so. Franco Ferrero's book (which seems to be the authoritve souce on white water saftey issues) mentions it as a legitimite towing method, once the use knows what they are doing there is no issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

A cow tail attached to your PFD is not designed for towing and I would never use it for towing.

This is even more so when it comes to moving water, I would never teach a PFD mounted cowtail as an appropriate method for towing. There are many more suitable methods if you have no other choice but to tow another kayak.

A cow tail attached to your PFD is not designed for towing and I would never use it for towing.

This is even more so when it comes to moving water, I would never teach a PFD mounted cowtail as an appropriate method for towing. There are many more suitable methods if you have no other choice but to tow another kayak.

Shanahan has spoken! :D

You're a brat Niall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

on flat water I'd use a cowtail for towing but any sort of moving water I'd use a sling and crab. But i prefer not to tow at all in moving water unless it's an absolute emergency. IIRC towing with a cowtail is on the new ICU RSR 1 or 2 atm.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    IIRC towing with a cowtail is on the new ICU RSR 1 or 2 atm.

I have run both both the new RSR 1 & 2 courses with clients and I do not teach towing with a cowtail nor is it on the syllabus.

At the end of the day this isn't a who is right or wrong thing, yes best practic would say that towing with a cowtail is not the best way to go about it.

But as long as people can make an informed decission based on the best available information we can't ask for more than that.

Adrian

Advertisement