Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim only PC build...How much will it cost me...

Options
  • 18-08-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Im a sim nut and have most of the good flight sims and such...
    Lately I have found myself wating better graphics and performance.

I posted this on the Virtual flying board here and i have been pointed this way as a means to solve this by building a pc.

This machine's only job will be to run Flight Sim x or FS 9 really, REALLY well.

I will need a good,Fast processor, at least 6 to 8 megs of Ram, a really good Graphics card and Sound card. I understand theres alot more to it but if i could be pointed in the right direction, i.e. how to pick the right processor, ram etc etc. I would at least know how much this is gonna cost me and if its worth having a go at.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

What resolution are you playing at? Assuming 1080p, this would definitely max it:

Total build cost: €634.20 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €175.58
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €83.63
    Club 3D Radeon 6950 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6950, PCI-Express €188.59
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €40.79
    Xigmatek Asgard II Midi Tower - black/silver, ohne Netzteil €31.91
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.04
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €45.14
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €16.52

I don't know the exact requirement for the game, but you could almost certainly cut down some of the above parts and still play at max, depending on the resolution and if you have any mods for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he may be better off with the i7-2600k as flight simulators use hyper-threading

Skerries wrote: »
    he may be better off with the i7-2600k as flight simulators use hyper-threading

Not FS9 or FSX. Some of the newer one do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

indough wrote: »

I really hate people who just post a link and don't explain what they are trying to say.

To summarise that link, its a forum thread about people testing out to see if hyperthreading can be used to increase performance in FSX. The answer is no, it doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i really hate people with bad attitudes and the inability to read a link and make up their own mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Glocks:

glock18_basicright.jpg

in before them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No glocks today Tea.

deconduo and indough - stop sniping at each other. At least deconduo had a valid point in his post. But you're both very close to completely crossing the "attack the post and not the poster" line and once you start the latter you'll be racking up infractions.

Summary: Simmers research the power of HT, Intel fanboi butts in and talks BS, gets told to feck himself, and its concluded that HT offers very little but playing with core utilization via affinity masks can reduce stutter.

And bear in mind that an i7 is a big price jump over an i5 so you need a big improvement in performance across everything you use in order to justify that cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭kahf1_02

Hey decon, nice budget. But. Spending over 600 euro the case isn't worth it. Get a cooler master instead. Wouldn't be to sure about picking that "SuperFlow" had major issues with them in the past. Other than that it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

How many screens do you plan running, and at what resolutions? Serious question, as this will effect the spec of the machine. Most people here are going to assume you are running a single screen otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Running one screen, 1028 i think would be great.
    I just want flawless performance without the pc running at 85 or 90%.
    Sorry if im vague done alot of reading about building last night and still trying to get my head around it.

I would be willing to throw between 7 or 800 yo yo's at it but would want something really good for that.
    For that money, am I dreaming? can I honestly get a Fast high end graphics machine for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The build in post #2 fits that bill.

The build in post #2 fits that bill.

Ok, but how easy is it to put all this together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

davidd24 wrote: »
    You can get HWVS to assemble it for you by adding http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829 to your basket, or ask here and someone will offer to build it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'll do it and/or show you how to do it for the princely sum of one beer.

I'll do it and/or show you how to do it for the princely sum of one beer.

Are you for real???
    There would be several beers involved in fairness....

Are you for real???
    Do you live on the southside? (of Dublin)

Do you live on the southside? (of Dublin)

I do indeed

I do indeed
    Then sir, I am very much real.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The specs deconduo posted earlier - it's by no means a MONSTER but it's a really good machine for that sorta money and is well within your budget. The gfx card supports up to 3 monitors too if you decide on expanding in the future.

However, it's only got 1 PCI-e slot for a graphics card and you might want a motherboard with support for 2 cards should you want to get a bigger graphical grunt in a year or two by simply slapping in a second 6950 in Crossfire mode - and for less than €200 at the moment, they'll be even cheaper in 6-12 months I'd say - I've got one myself and am keeping an eye out for when they get really low so I can get a second one :)

Not a big issue and probably not a deal breaker, but worth thinking of.

• Advertisement

Is there a variation on the motherboard that i could order with two slots?

Is there a variation on the motherboard that i could order with two slots?

If you are planning to play other games in the future then its worth it, otherwise don't bother as that build will max out FSX easily.

If you do plan on getting newer games, then you need to upgrade the motherboard, PSU and case. PSU so you have enough power for the 2 cards, and the case so that you have better airflow and theres no overheating problems.

Motherboard
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39875&agid=1629
    PSU:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39875&agid=1629
    Case: (The one I would pick is out of stock, but this one is good as well)
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37796&agid=631

Advertisement