Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS not seeing HDD

Options
  • 18-08-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Lads any ideas on why an install wont see a HDD, it can be seen in the BIOS so I presume the Controller is OK, but when I try do an Install it can't see the drive, I've debugged the drive and formatted it, I got an Ubuntu boot cd and when I boot it to this it sees the disk but again when I try install Ubuntu it says it cant see the disks, :confused:

Any ideas what I can try, it's a laptop by the way, sata drive

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Try turning AHCI Configuration off in the bios and check again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can you see it in device manager?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you installing ubuntu using the same cd? Or are you installing another OS and just testing with the linux cd.

Just wondering if the OS doesn't have the drivers, and the linux one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    can you see it in device manager?

Empty disk, I'm doing an install for a failed disk

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you installing ubuntu using the same cd? Or are you installing another OS and just testing with the linux cd.

Just wondering if the OS doesn't have the drivers, and the linux one does.

Wanted to Install Windows, but if I can get Ubuntu on it would do, I used the disk as a test

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm thinking that the drive isn't set up to be bootable. Is the drive down as a primary master in the bios? What does it say exactly about it?

Advertisement