Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farrier costs.

Options
  • 18-08-2011 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me what a farrier costs to shoe a horse nowadays and any recomendations around the Nenagh area would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

A set of shoes usually costs between €50 and €80, depending on the farrier and the area you live.

I'd suggest shopping around before you make a decision, but given that some farriers are unreliable, it may end up being more realistic to pay a slightly higher price for someone reliable/good who turns up when they say they will.

There's a list of farriers on www.irishfarriers.com, so you should find someone local to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Many thanks convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CarlaAnkiah

Be carefull, there are a lot of untrained farriers out there doing shoddy work. Check your farrier has some form of qualification or comes reccomended by a vet. Check in with your local vet surgery, I am sure they could reccomend a good farrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If they're on the above website, then they have a qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Margaret Maguire

Hi I got my horse shod last week and it cost me €60 I am situated in south tipperary He is a good farrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

I pay €60 to get my mare hot shod. I have been using this farrier for over a year now and he's definitely the best i've ever used. My mare was prone to losing her shoes (often only a week after she'd been shod) when she was shod with cold shoes. I used various farriers over the years and they blamed it on her hooves being weak and I spent a fortune on Hoofmaker which made no difference. So I got this new guy and have stopped using Hoofmaker and have no trouble with her hooves at all now, I usually get 7 to 8 weeks out of them. He's in Kildare which is probably too far for you but if you can find someone who does hot shoes you should try go for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sportsmad_Mick

Clogsworth wrote: »
    I pay €60 to get my mare hot shod. I have been using this farrier for over a year now and he's definitely the best i've ever used. My mare was prone to losing her shoes (often only a week after she'd been shod) when she was shod with cold shoes. I used various farriers over the years and they blamed it on her hooves being weak and I spent a fortune on Hoofmaker which made no difference. So I got this new guy and have stopped using Hoofmaker and have no trouble with her hooves at all now, I usually get 7 to 8 weeks out of them. He's in Kildare which is probably too far for you but if you can find someone who does hot shoes you should try go for them!

Couldnt agree more with the hot shoeing- it is the only job. we had a TB who had an uncanny knack of twisting his shoes when out in the field. He managed to cause some fair damage to his paddock mate with it- we have used hot shoeing now for 10 years and havent had a problem like it. There is a great guy (he was recommended to me by racing folk) out in Kilmallock. He does travel to Tipp aswell so may be up your street and cost about 60 per horse. I dont know if Im allowed say his name here though? I can pm you if you are interested

Advertisement